Weights or Resistance Bands?

Options
What do you prefer using, weights or resistance bands? I'm thinking about purchasing Chalean Extreme, and am wondering what type of "weight lifting devices" I should use. Have not had much experience with either. I like the price of resistance bands, WAY cheaper than weights, but it looks like weights might be simpler to use.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights! I haven't done ChaLean Extreme but I do TurboFire which has a strength training portion that came with a resistance band. It is akward using the band so I switched out for free weights minus the ab section I use the band.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Either of them will do. The best will be whatever you will actually use most often. Personally, I make do (at home) with a yoga mat, a set of dumbbells (5, 8, 10, 12 and 20), a balance ball, a weighted exercise ball, and a chin up bar. If you have that little "tool kit" and you google "body weight" workouts or exercises, you will have more than enough that you can do at home.

Never underestimate the power of working out with just your own body weight. Learn the basics and use 'em! It's a workout that you need nothing for and can do anywhere at all, for any length of time that suits you.

:)
  • happychix
    happychix Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I like the resistance bands because I can pack them in a suitcase, tuck them into a drawer and don't have to worry about dropping them on my toes or floor :wink:
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    I'm a big fan of resistance bands. After years of using weights in the gym, I discovered resistance bands only 3 months ago due to and injury, and have really enjoyed and benefited from it. Adding extra weight to is so much faster than weights. Either I use a different band color, or just move further away and the resistance is instant. I've bought heavier ones a couple of weeks after I started using it, and just a few minutes ago the heaviest 100lb band available on ebay.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find resistance bands harder work for some reason!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights!

However, living in a very small house with no garage and a toddler makes resistance bands more practical for me.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of resistance bands. After years of using weights in the gym, I discovered resistance bands only 3 months ago due to and injury, and have really enjoyed and benefited from it. Adding extra weight to is so much faster than weights. Either I use a different band color, or just move further away and the resistance is instant. I've bought heavier ones a couple of weeks after I started using it, and just a few minutes ago the heaviest 100lb band available on ebay.

Those black 100lb resistance bands are freakin' awesome. I'm planning to buy a triple-band handle to add more weighted bands to it.
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i prefer bands. just make sure you get good quality bands and not the cheap walmart ones
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I have both but I find myself gravitating to the band for the transition ease. Plus I can use it during my walks.