What do you do to keep your mind off food and eating?

Options
i started a blog. may sound simple, but if my fingers are typing, i'm much less inclined to be using them to stuff my face full of food.

so what do you do to keep your fingers and your mind occupied?:flowerforyou:

Replies

• ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    i started a blog. may sound simple, but if my fingers are typing, i'm much less inclined to be using them to stuff my face full of food.

so what do you do to keep your fingers and your mind occupied?:flowerforyou:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    I chat to some of my friends that are Army wives.
    I also research recipes for my classes and sometimes personal use.
    I shop... but just not into that as much anymore.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have so much stuff to do between school and work and training that most days I don't have time to eat much until the evening. On the days that doesn't happen, I spend a lot of time studying and here on MFP. Or play video games. If I am really enthralled in something, I won't want to be bothered to have to put food together. I have very little food that doesn't have to be prepared.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    MFP chat baybeeeeeeee:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :bigsmile: :laugh: :tongue: :smokin:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    when I first started out I did things like going for a walk or chatting online, but now I don't find I even need to get my mind off it... if I'm thinking of food it's cause I'm hungry, so I eat something. It's no longer a constant thing for me. :drinker:
  • dewpearl
    dewpearl Posts: 561 Member
    Options

Interesting - I found out that when I'm browsing a website with healthy food (I like http://whfoods.com/sitesearch.php ) and when I am cooking this, I eat less than when there isn't any cooked food around and I'm just snacking.

I find it pretty annoying, but I have a desk job and then makes me prone to snacking all day - I love it when I have a class or something making me get up and down the stairs and can cope even with being a bit hungry. OK, that's not answering your question, I know, sorry...
  • carolinamzd
    Options
    I admit that I love to eat but sometimes I wonder if I am under eating because I have cut a lot down on food quantity. In fact, the quality of food that I eat has changed as well.

To avoid over eating, I try to prepare my portion of meals in advance and then take them to work. If I take all my ingredients to work to prepare I would probably just dig in and eat them.

I just ate dinner and felt like I wanted to snack on something but instead, I grabbed the gallon of water and started drinking.

Since my husband is deployed, I have stopped buying junk food so it won't be that easy for me to reach in the pantry and start snacking.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I eat. :happy:

I just have broccoli, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, bananas...etc. I am only allowed 1 at a time, and I must eat it slowly.

That is just what I do!! :wink:
  • stephiepoo
    Options
    Just reading recipes make me hungry :frown:
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I eat, and I eat clean. Strangely, I no longer HAVE to keep my mind off food.

I avoid refined sugars and processed foods, and I eat five or six small, healthy meals per day -- whenever I feel hungry, basically. Really -- my cravings are gone and some days I have trouble eating enough. I have to force myself to eat sometimes because I'm no longer so hungry.

This is the complete opposite to what I was experiencing before. Eating processed foods and sugar makes you crave more of them. Try not eating them for just three days and see what happens.

That's my recommendation! :bigsmile:
    Cheryl
  • lexley
    lexley Posts: 35
    Options
    If I have free time I'm usually spending it playing with my son, doing homework, cleaning, or sleeping! :laugh: I'm not sure if that is what you are meaning. If I am hungry and or bored (since I usually eat when I'm bored) I will take out a piece of gum or drink a bottle of water with a Crystal Light packet in it. If that takes care of the craving for nibbles then I know it wasn't real hunger. If after a few minutes I'm still hungry then I eat a snack.
  • swindellk
    Options
    I plan snacks. Since I'm hypoglycemic, I have to keep my sugar level. I used to do this, but I just started MFP, so I'm starting again. I eat a small breakfast when I get up, then a snack with peanut butter or something with protein at 9am. I have lunch at noon, and then a small piece of fruit and some yogurt around 3pm. Then dinner around 5pm. This helps keep me from getting hungry in the first place, and I'm more likely to eat the right portions. Try to keep yourself from getting hungry at all, and you'll make better choices. At least that's the plan :-)
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I stay busy! Between work and school I don't have much time to sit around anymore, but when I do find myself with nothing to do I find something. Lately my addiction has been reading up on current events...and getting kinda angry at the same time, but it fuels me to go out and do something. When I find something I feel strongly about I make up flyers and put them on cars, etc. (yes, I'm one of those annoying activists that everyone loves!) I get good exercise from walking around parking lots!
  • ponyskates
    Options
    I just constantly think of myself being skinny. It works!:tongue:
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options

Interesting - I found out that when I'm browsing a website with healthy food (I like http://whfoods.com/sitesearch.php ) and when I am cooking this, I eat less than when there isn't any cooked food around and I'm just snacking.

I find it pretty annoying, but I have a desk job and then makes me prone to snacking all day - I love it when I have a class or something making me get up and down the stairs and can cope even with being a bit hungry. OK, that's not answering your question, I know, sorry...

My meals aren't horrible, I eat less when I am busy cooking or looking up any recipes. It's the mindless snacking that used to kill me while I was wandering around.
    I am also a natorious undereater.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Once I got the "sweets" out of my system, I didn't think about food anymore. I was a "little debbie snacker, candy bar & coke, bugle chips girl! I think eating those sweet things made me constantly crave more, so for me, that was my problem! Anymore I can just look at them and keep on walking instead of putting them in my cart! Strangely enough, I don't really miss it, either.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I chew gum to avoid "mindless" eating