10 Diet Myths

Options
Hi All! Check out this link to a Real Simple Magazine article regarding 10 diet myths. It clarified some things for me. Let me know what you think. :love:

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/0,21863,1700385-5,00.html

You'll have to page back to the beginning of the article to get to the first item.

Replies

• azlips2003
    azlips2003 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Check out this link to a Real Simple Magazine article regarding 10 diet myths. It clarified some things for me. Let me know what you think. :love:

http://www.realsimple.com/realsimple/gallery/0,21863,1700385-5,00.html

You'll have to page back to the beginning of the article to get to the first item.
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Link didn't work for me...I will google it.

dd
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I just went to realsimple.com and entered in 'diet myths' and it came up.

Links are funny- sites offer them, and then sometimes they dont work!

Good article though.
  • azlips2003
    Options
    Link didn't work for me...I will google it.

dd

Sorry about that. Did you try cutting and pasting into your browser? It takes a few seconds for the page to pop up. Hope you find it.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Already not agreeing,
    haha
    I dont mean to be difficult.......but I have just read the first one and dont feel like its true.
    It is saying (for those that cant get the link) that it is a myth that you shouldnt eat after eight. Their
    theory is that your body uses the same amount of calories all 24 hours.
    I know quite a few health advisors that would majorally disagree with that one. The doc on that
    show 'you on a diet' talks about late night eating. Leaving food in your intestines over night is not a
    good idea.
    There are allot of other docs that have said several things on this subject as well. Your body
    does not use the same amount of calaories all the time....ahem!
    When asked about the subject of late night eating the best advise I heard was that you should
    stop eating 2 hours before you go to bed.
    That is even one of the reasons the first meal was called breakfast. They would break their fast.
    just my 2 cents....not busting on anyone.:bigsmile:
    jac
  • azlips2003
    Options
    Already not agreeing,
    haha
    I dont mean to be difficult.......but I have just read the first one and dont feel like its true.
    It is saying (for those that cant get the link) that it is a myth that you shouldnt eat after eight. Their
    I know quite a few health advisors that would majorally disagree with that one. The doc on that
    show 'you on a diet' talks about late night eating. Leaving food in your intestines over night is not a
    good idea.
    There are allot of other docs that have said several things on this subject as well. Your body
    When asked about the subject of late night eating the best advise I heard was that you should
    That is even one of the reasons the first meal was called breakfast. They would break their fast.
    jac

I'm not a doctor or expert so I don't have the authority to agree or disagree but I think that not eating right before bedtime may help in digestion, but not necessarily in burning calories.
    If you burn a certain number of calories over the course of the day I don't think it matters when during that day you eat - you've still burned the calories and taken in the calories regardless of the time of day.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Already not agreeing,
    haha
    good idea.
    jac

If you're in a caloric deficit, it really doesn't matter what time you eat. You won't gain fat. Your digestion may slow, but that's not a problem either. You will feel sated throughout the night and into the next morning and your blood sugar won't plummet while you're sleeping. I actually make it a point to eat right before bed for those reasons along with the fact that it aids in muscle repair and recovery.
    As far as having food in your intestines...well, sorry, but even if you wait two hours before going to bed, there will be food in there. Gastric emptying (food leaving the stomach) takes anywhere from 2-5 hours for solid food. Ones it exits the stomach, it takes several more hours to move through the intestines where nutrients are absorbed. If you can identify an actual problem with that, I'll be happy to listen, but I doubt that there is one.
    Most nutritionists and dieticians advise their clients to stop eating before bed so that they can prevent overeating if they're not counting calories, and also because people tend to eat junk when they're at home sitting around and bored. If you're counting calories and maintaining your deficit, that's uneccessary.