Walking calories

Options
So is 100 calories per mile a reasonable estimate of calories burned while walking?

Thanks!

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Check out the excercsie tool they have alot of options under walking including pace and whether it included hills
  • tammyhale98273
    Options
    Hi,
    It's probably more. Go into exercise and go to cardiovascular, and type in walking and it will give you options on MPH and for how long. I think it's more then 100.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    this is real simple to answer www.healthstatus.com
  • Janet39
    Janet39 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This one depends on a mixture of weight, speed and gradient.

I burn nearer 150 at present on the flat.( Weight 241 lb, walking approx 5 mile per hour.)

If you have an android, blackberry, or I phone, you can down load a free app. Endomondo.com . Which will track this by satalite, and log your walks.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    no, I would either go by what MFP has in the data base or use a HRM to get an accurate read. I do a 4.0 pace, for 2.35 miles, and only burn 200 cals.....
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    It's probably more. Go into exercise and go to cardiovascular, and type in walking and it will give you options on MPH and for how long. I think it's more then 100.

depends on the person. If i walk a mile I only burn 65
    heck if I run an * minute mile i only burn 90
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Multiply your weight in pounds by .3 to get the net calories burned per mile walking. Net calories are the ones you can eat back (as opposed to total calories burned) so that's what you should be tracking in MFP.
  • RGJeff
    RGJeff Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks!