How to Cook Grass-Fed Filet Mignon?

Options
bjshields
bjshields Posts: 677 Member
Okay, so I am trying to buy & eat better meat cuts (although good grief, you'd think they're feeding these flippin' cows GOLD, as expensive as grass-fed beef is) -- so I bought grass-fed filet mignon. I'm getting conflicting information online as to how to cook them.

Anybody have a great recipe for this? And do I need to take it out of the fridge & let it get to room temperature?

Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    What time should I come over?? Yum!!
    Sorry, no clue how to cook it. But, welcome to my world. Kosher meat, which is all I buy, is expensive as....
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Don't know any thing specific for filets but figure out the temperature you will be cooking it out and then the thickness and calculate time from there. Also, meat is always best cooked at room temperature.
  • janetv3
    janetv3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    A filet is a filet.............5minutes on each side....
  • girlofsun26
    girlofsun26 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    We just had this on Friday...simple salt and pepper and grill them on the grill for about 10minutes each side (depending on how thick the steak is) and how well done you want them. And whatever you do let them rest for a good 10 minutes! Yum I'm craving them now! LOL
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Defrost the meat, then marinate it in dijon mustard with a dash of salt and pepper.

broil in the oven for 10 min per side or until medium rare to well done. But as filet mignion is the center cut of a prime rib, it's best at medium rare to medium.

Hope this helps. The marinade is what m family does for prime rib roast.
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    Very carefully! (Sounds expensive!) :0)
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! It was SOOOOO good! Oh my goodness. I could not believe how tender & tasty it was. Thankfully, my neighbor came over; she gave me a marinade for it. So here's what I did, in case anybody wants a recipe:

Take the meat out of the fridge for about 45 minutes - 1 hour & let it get to room temperature;

Marinade in whatever marinade your neighbor brings over;

Heat a cast iron skillet (apparently it matters which type you use) on medium high heat until it's HOT;

Put the meat in the pan using tongs NOT a fork;

Sear on both sides for 1-2 minutes at a time and flip it until it comes out medium-pink in the middle.

YUM YUM YUM!!