Any golfers out there?

lyn267
lyn267 Posts: 58 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I golf with a push cart and when I entered that in MFP it is showing that I burn approx 250 cal per hour. Since the round is approx 4.5 hrs it is giving me an additional 1200+ cal to eat that day. Sounds awfully high to me. Has anyone tested this with a heart rate monitor? Its a relatively flat course and I never break a sweat. Since I golf a couple of days a week I don't want to be eating way more than I should. I've been just entering 3 hrs - 750 cal. but would really like to be more accurate.

Thanks

Replies

• Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Yep, I actually checked this with a pro and said yes it burns quite a few calories. Who knew?!

I went golfing for the first time in years last year. We walked and pulled carts. When we finally got to the 18th hole I was happy, excited, enthralled! But then the 18th hole was 520 yds. Yikes, I am so worn out I didn't know if I could swing the club enough to get there. As I was walking up to the green my buddy says, you look tired. I could barely nod. He said he felt the same way when he first went out that year and.............he was riding in a cart!

Turns out I burned 3200 calories that day. Keep in mind I weighed 327 lbs. at the time. Then we went to a buffet. oops! The next morning I actually lost a pound.

So yes it is correct.
  • Mark330
    Mark330 Posts: 75
    I typically turn on my Nike+ and track distance, calories, etc as it relates to the walk. Figure at 250 yards per hole, at 18 holes, you are walking 4500 yards (or if you golf like me it is more like 6000 with all the walks into the woods.) 4500 yards is about 2.5 miles, so I log that.

Any extra calories burned by the physical swinging I leave off of my tracking and take as upside.
This discussion has been closed.