"Dinner ideas needed that my family will eat too!"

Options
baisleac
baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
I see these posts all the time and it drives me crazy.

You're changing your lifestyle so you'll be healthy. Why wouldn't you want the same thing for your family?

If your kids are hungry they'll eat what you put in front of them. Maybe not right away, but trust me, they'll get hungry enough to eat.

If they have a higher metabolism and need more food; cook more. Not extra, empty calorie side dishes; but more healthy main dish, more vegetables, more grains. Just as you're learning about healthy portion sizes for you, so too can they learn healthy portion sizes for them.

Teach them to eat well, to exercise regularly, to live a healthy life; now, before they have to go through the same struggles you are now going through.

Replies

• ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Amen, sister! Love it!
  • 78_kasia
    78_kasia Posts: 27
    Options
    If you have a kid that is willing to eat everything, then you are very lucky, and I'm jealous of you.
    I've tried the whole, "when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat" route and it just doesn't work for everyone.
    Not that I support feeding your kids junk, but "diet" food just isn't going to cut it for a 3 year old.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If you have a kid that is willing to eat everything, then you are very lucky, and I'm jealous of you.
    I've tried the whole, "when he gets hungry enough, he'll eat" route and it just doesn't work for everyone.
    Not that I support feeding your kids junk, but "diet" food just isn't going to cut it for a 3 year old.

I was a kid who would eat anything, my brother was a kid who would eat anything, and I have a kid who will eat anything... not because my mother and I were lucky, but because we eat what the family eats. Period.

Also... "Diet" food isn't really good for anyone. Eat real food in healthy portions.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I can see both sides to this issue. My bf is open to great healthy foods and loves how I cook, so we have little issue. My parents however, my mom uses cheap ingredients and doesn't always understand how to cook things well - like over cooked green beans slathered in butter. And my stepdad is crazy picky...vegetable is pretty much a 4 letter word to him.

I also think there is another issue that goes along with some of the "diet" meals - they aren't always real food and tasty. There's often recipes that use nasty substitutes (Hungry Girl recipes come to mind with fat free cheese, seriously she must not actually taste her food!) instead of healthy real foods. Plus, I think some people simply don't know how to cook.

Anyway, I agree with the basic assumption of the post, OP, we should be sharing healthy great foods with our families. By doing local organic foods, my brother has finally picked up on what good things there are out there. He even conviced our mom to get a basket from a local farm...so you can make an impact.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I agree. Everyone in my family eats the same thing for dinner. I have coworkers that complain about their kids being picky, Mine have no choice. We don't hear any complaining about asparagus, brussels sprouts or brocolli from our 7 and 9 year old since they know we aren't making anything else.

What's the point of making something like salmon, for myself and then feeding my kids tater tots and burgers? Why is my kids' health any less important?

Good post!
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes I totally agree! And as a mother of 2 children who once were 3, one being an extremely picky eater I can say they will eat when they are hungry! I do not cook special for anyone! We all eat the same whole and healthy foods.

The ones that really bug me....is what should I get at "fill in fast food place" because I always feed my kids that. Or I have to keep "insert something like crappy cereal bars or cookies here" in the house as treats for my kids lunch. Uhm a treat to my kids is definately not part of lunch and treats are permitted, but they are a treat so they are gone out of the house to get...ie an ice cream at the parlour or a bag of chips from the store once in a while.

Why would you care about being healthy and still feed your kids crap....burns my *kitten*!!!!!
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I only cook 1 meal a day, my kids (5, 3 and baby) will eat lots of things but they go through phases. My son wouldn't eat any kind of meat for 3 years.... which was weird b/c as a baby he loved meat. Right now he doesn't like Tomatoes. He'll eat tomato sauce but not actual tomatoes. So when i make something he needs to eat or go hungry. I don't mind if they don't eat everything as everyone has a different taste BUT don't expect dessert then... lol. My daughter was grape crazy for a while... now she doens't want any at all. Instead she eat other fruit though (banana's strawberries)
    Either way, we all eat the same thing. I calculate a portion for me and if i cook a big enough meal to last us for 2 days or 3 i will put a few servings on plates for me so i have something for the next night.
    For example, i cooked Macaroni & cheese yesterday, put in all the ingredients here, it calculated 8 servings for under 500 calories each. God deal, i can eat some fruit or vegetables if it doesn't fill me up.
    I want my kids to see how i eat & hopefully it'll leave a good impression on them and make them do the same :-)
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    "diet" food just isn't going to cut it for a 3 year old.

Why not? Grilled fish, chicken, shellfish and veggies (steamed brocolli, carrots with a little ranch dressing, lettuce/salad, tomatoes - heck, even canned green beans are better than nothing). Find what they do like that's healthy and make it a regular occurance at the dinner table.

My son isn't fond of chicken, but he'll eat it. Because his choice is to eat it or not. There's nothing else if he chooses not to eat it.

The job of a 3 year old is to test/learn boundaries. If they're putting up a fight, the parent needs to fight just a bit harder to do what is right for the child. It's not easy - but no one ever said being a parent was always easy (or fun).
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. Sometimes i will bake the kids fries or make them something higher fat than i want if we are having a really healthy meal like two-bean chili where the base is broccolli. They wll eat raw or steamed broccoli but will not eat it if it is mushed up in a recipe and i can respect that. I will make them whole wheat pasta over baked potatoes that they hate or cut up raw peppers if they don't want the cooked ones in stirfry. I don't go too much furtherthan that to make two meals though. My daughters do well- enjoying most healthy choices. My son goes hungry a lot :P
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    . My son wouldn't eat any kind of meat for 3 years.... which was weird b/c as a baby he loved meat.

My son is the same way! He won't eat meat, and he will love something one day and then decide he doesn't like it. But we manage. Actually he will eat turkey burgers and homemade chicken strips but that is it. Oh and he will not eat cooked vegetables either, he will eat any kind of raw veggie though.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've decided that when I have kids they'll eat what is prepared or fix their own dish. And since I won't be keeping pizza rolls around the house, kiddo will have to be making some sandwiches. Learning about preparing your own food AND discipline in one easy step!

I think this rule will be implemented at age 5. Before then we'll fight it out like my parents did. Guilt was very effective with us.
  • worm5996
    worm5996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it depends greatly on the child. I have a 15 year old that is high functioning autistic. If told that he could not eat unless he ate what was served and he didn't like it, the child just won't eat. For days. THAT is not healthy. But I refuse to not eat foods that he doesn't like, so we compromise. He can eat something other than what is served for dinner but only after he has tried it at least once. He is old enough to cook his own though. My 1 year old, on the other hand, will eat anything she can get into her mouth. The girl just loves food. Wish I had her metabolism though.
  • livingnow28
    livingnow28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I know exactly how you feel my 2 year old is that way also. Luckily he loves beans which is filling and healthy for him. :)
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    serve vegetable soup. i always loved that as a kid. 1 family sized can of tomato soup mixed with two cups of water. then three cans of mixed vegetables. then microwave one pound of lean turkey in three cups of water. then drain it out. mix it together and serve it. i alwasy loved it
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I cook one meal for my family, but I will cook some different things to go with it for my son. My son has always been a very picky eater. Think throwing up on the table as a toddler if he couldn't tolerate the texture of something... Every nutritionist and pediatrician I have consulted regarding his eating has said that fighting over food was going to cause more damage than making sure he has things to eat that he will eat. It isn't that he only likes junk food, because many junk foods he won't eat either. He loves chicken, fish and shellfish. He loves raw carrots, but would never even consider dipping them in ranch. In fact he won't eat condiments of any kind.

He also pays three sports at a highly commpetetive level, working out more than 10 hours most weeks in addition to PE and regular kid playing, so it's very important that he eats enough calories to sustain that level of activity.

I am glad that he doesn't struggle with weight like me and his dad do. Part of that is that I don't put my own issues on him, and I am not going to try to force him to follow the eating plan that is necessary for me, because it is not necessary for him. We talk about healthy foods and that certain things are treats, but his level of activity results in a lot more treats than I earn :happy:
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am in the "nothing else so eat up or go hungry"camp.

I have to girls of 4 & 2 and the youngest one eats anything (but we now found she can't have fresh tomatoes but is ok with cooked)
    eldest is a little wary of mushrooms bcause it was the last thing she ate before coming down with a d&v bug, she still gets them mixed in to dishes, but I don't put them on her plate as a portion.
    We also do not have pudding/desert everynight, much to her disgust - she is borderline underweight, so she does need to eat small meals, but I try to give her fruit and vegiges to nibble on, so she isn't taught bad habits for when she is older.

I had both of them fighting over brussell sprouts a few months ago, dd2 had stolen them off her sisters plate and eaten them while she got distracted. Daddy ended up giving his to her to stop her being so upset!

We also have a "no thank you" rule too, I don't like peas or beans very much but I have one tablespoon of them on my plate when I cook them, and hubby does the same with sweetcorn, and the girls do the same, anything they say they don't like they set a small amount which they are expected to eat - I do find with my eldest it is a faddy thing possibly because of other peoples reactions at school where they have a cooked meal.

They both still have chocolate in the fridge from easter last year!, I let them eat an egg on Sunday evening, they ate some of it and put over half of it away in the fridge, the next night they had some more but still haven't finished the first egg - only another 8 each to go! The only rule we have with regard to chocolate is never before lunch.

Seems to work well for us.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I am one that will let the kids pass on my dinner. There are things that I love that I know they hate so I am not going to push it but we almost always have leftovers in the fridge. Sometimes it's a glass of milk and nothing else until they eat. I have a son with serious texture issues. He can (and has) spent hrs at the table trying to pick out onion bits out of spaghetti. I figure I will pick my battles with him. My daughter on the other hand considers a Greek salad with red onion beets olives and all the other veggies the perfect meal (she is two). So it isn't all about how you are raised.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Amen!!
  • butterflyinamber78
    butterflyinamber78 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's alot to be said for "eat it or starve" I'll admit. I raised my oldest son this way, he will now happily eat his shoes or the roofing shingles (this may be a side effect of puberty?) Basicly anything, in other words.

That said, it can work wonders with a normal child.

My sister in law and I both have childern with mental health needs. Not ADD, or just a bad attitude. Her son is autistic spectrum and my daughter is still working through a diagnosis, leaning twards bipolar syndrom atm. Diagnosing children is tricky--and its not easy with adults either.

Some of the earliest symptoms for both were different sorts of food issues at a young age. Her son has issues with textures, my daughter tends to a binge/starve cycle, often with violent tantrums. Not the normal kind of tantrum--I have three other kids to compare this behavior with- but suicidal ones, with attempts at action. This is now, at nine-- at two, when it started, it was a bit harder to tell. Keeping order with meals is a must, especially in large families, I know, I have four kids and a hubby myself. But I'll throw this out for those who are having an exeptionally difficult time.

Use your instincts, sometimes, it isn't just a picky eating thing, and the sooner you can figure it out, the better for the whole family. Obviously, this only applies to a tiny minority, but since this is a large community, I thought it might merit a mention.
  • 78_kasia
    78_kasia Posts: 27
    Options
    To each his own. Don't get all judgemental.
    And, please don't assume that I feed my kid junk - I don't feed him burgers, tater tots, pizza bites, hot dogs, etc.
    However, if the only way I can get him to eat meat or veggies is by mixing it in with pasta then that is what I do.

I am highly against the whole, only eat what I serve motto, because that was the rule in my house when I was growing up. I often went hungry, since I was a picky eater too. I ended up being anemic by the time I was 10.
    Then when I started earning my own $ I couldn't get enough of the foods that weren't around in my house, which turned into a weight issue for me, until I learned moderation.
    I don't want my child following my footsteps in that respect. There is a happy medium that can be reached with the healthy foods I eat versus what I feed my kids.