Too much protein???

Options
Now that I am tracking my food at every meal I am shocked to find out that I go over my protein goal nearly everyday - somedays by almost 40 grams!!!. Is this bad or going to affect me negatively? I guess I consume a large amount at breakfast with a protein shake or an egg white omelette or some toast with PB2. But if I eat a bowl of cereal, or just fruit or something I am STARVING in a very short period of time. Also on the days I run it is at 5:30 am before I eat so I definitely need it after that. I am just really surprised at my numbers at the end of the day. I don't overdo the meat portions and if anything I had always thought maybe I didn't consume enough. I consume my proteins in the form of chicken, salmon/tuna, or beans/legumes, and whey protein after a run. I don't eat too much red meat and I do enjoy a handful of raw almonds for a snack sometimes too. Does anyone know if too much protein is a bad thing and have any other suggestions as to "filling up" without the extra protein? I am wondering if maybe this is why I am sort at a plateau for the last little while, although I admit my dedication to running is not the greatest right now. I lost about 35 or so pounds between June and December and have maintained since then - which was my goal for the neverending days at the hockey rink all winter. But now I am struggling to start losing again and would really like to lose another 25.

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    As long as you have healthy kidneys, you SHOULD be exceeding MFP's defualt protein goal. If you're working out, you should be aiming for around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.
  • bolton05
    bolton05 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above....I try to get 1 gram per my body weight. However, if you want to lose weight, I heard it is 1 lb per your body weight goal. In my case, I just want to lose "fat", not necessarily "weight". Therefore, I watch my protein intake, keep my carbs lower than the MFP default, and watch my fat (but healthy fat, and some animal fat is good for metabolism).
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    No such thing.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I changed my defaults to protein: 30% carbs: 30% and fats: 40%
  • DeannaOnline
    DeannaOnline Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone here - I'm paying big bucks for a trainer and nutritionalist (hey I need all the help I can get LOL) and they both want me to eat tons of protein! They also put me at way higher calories than MFP did as well...
  • DeannaOnline
    DeannaOnline Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I changed my defaults to protein: 30% carbs: 30% and fats: 40%

How do you do that?
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    It's under goals. Shift it to manual and it will allow you to alter your percentages.