BMR vs. TDEE: What MFP Is Telling You

Options
I am just posting this in its own thread because there is soooo much confusion on this topic.

BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate, is the number of calories you would burn in a coma. That means no thinking, no sitting, no digesting, just lying unconscious. It is enough to produce sufficient ATP (energy in the body) to prevent organ failure.

TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure, is the number of calories you burn while not in a coma. It includes waking up, walking around, going to work, eating, digesting, talking, cooking, etc. It ALSO INCLUDES EXERCISE.

So, when MFP asks for your activity level, they are multiplying your estimate BMR by and activity factor and producing your TDEE, NOT YOUR BMR.

For instance:
My BMR is 1,265--tested in a lab at rest.
My TDEE without exercise is 1,900 calories because I am very active during the day.
My TDEE with exercise is 2,300 calories.
I eat about 1800 calories. That is less than my TDEE, but NOT less than my BMR.

MFP subtracts the 500 calories to create my deficit, which is why it allows me to eat 1700-1800 calories after exercise. On days I don't exercise, MFP recommends that I eat 1400 calories. That's way less than my TDEE, but still more than my BMR. Even if MFP recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day, I wouldn't bother, because I'm obviously burning more than that just sleeping all day.

So keep in mind, when MFP asks what your activity level is, even if you say sedentary, that number is NOT your true BMR. It is your TDEE.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am just posting this in its own thread because there is soooo much confusion on this topic.

BMR, or Basal Metabolic Rate, is the number of calories you would burn in a coma. That means no thinking, no sitting, no digesting, just lying unconscious. It is enough to produce sufficient ATP (energy in the body) to prevent organ failure.

TDEE, or Total Daily Energy Expenditure, is the number of calories you burn while not in a coma. It includes waking up, walking around, going to work, eating, digesting, talking, cooking, etc. It ALSO INCLUDES EXERCISE.

So, when MFP asks for your activity level, they are multiplying your estimate BMR by and activity factor and producing your TDEE, NOT YOUR BMR.

For instance:
    My TDEE without exercise is 1,900 calories because I am very active during the day.

MFP subtracts the 500 calories to create my deficit, which is why it allows me to eat 1700-1800 calories after exercise. On days I don't exercise, MFP recommends that I eat 1400 calories. That's way less than my TDEE, but still more than my BMR. Even if MFP recommended that I eat 1200 calories a day, I wouldn't bother, because I'm obviously burning more than that just sleeping all day.

So keep in mind, when MFP asks what your activity level is, even if you say sedentary, that number is NOT your true BMR. It is your TDEE.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Awesome explanation! Thanks for taking the time to post that!! :flowerforyou:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Songbyrd!:flowerforyou:
  • SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I agree awesome post. I still have one question though. How unreliable is the estimated calculation of BMR in MFP's tools section? I used that tool to calculate my BMR and its higher than the number of calories MFP recommends for me for the day. Not to mention 1,584 seems really high for BMR. Would you suggest using this tool or not?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I agree awesome post. I still have one question though. How unreliable is the estimated calculation of BMR in MFP's tools section? I used that tool to calculate my BMR and its higher than the number of calories MFP recommends for me for the day. Not to mention 1,584 seems really high for BMR. Would you suggest using this tool or not?

Honestly, no online tool is going to be reliable for your BMR. It's a rough estimation based on your height, weight, and gender...basically just an average of what other people your size have. I'd go to multiple sites and get a bunch of BMR values and then find their average. At least that gives you a bread spectrum of possibilities and you can adjust as you need to.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Songbyrd, I read in one of my running diet books that to get your estimated BMR you could just take your current weight and add a zero on to the end of that, would that be close for most or way off?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Songbyrd, I read in one of my running diet books that to get your estimated BMR you could just take your current weight and add a zero on to the end of that, would that be close for most or way off?

It's just another generalization...they're estimating that each lb you're holding burns the same # of calories. Well what if I'm 132 lbs and 13% body fat, and my twin (I don't have one) is 132 lbs and 45% body fat? We wouldn't have the same BMR because I'd have more than twice the amount of muscle that she had.
  • Angiebangie
    Angiebangie Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Got it, thanks!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Big issue with this is that no site is the same. I've found sites that give me anywhere from 1400-1750--one site said 700 :sick: :sick: :sick:

Anyway, I settled on 1400 and have been doing that for awhile--that's up from 1200 by the way when I plateaued. After about one month on 1400, weight loss started again. :drinker:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Great post. I think there are a lot of people out there that take what they read as law and don't exactly understand what they have read. There is no way for any site to correctly tell you your BMR. Or your BMI for that matter. They only base it on age, height and weight. There is so much more to take in consideration when finding the actual numbers for those. And even if you go and pay big bucks to have tests done to figure your BMR or your BMI there is still a percentage error.

I think that people need to use the site as a "base point" and make adjustments from there. Personally I usually eat a little more than it tells me I need to. I have very musclar arms and legs which means that I will burn more calories than somebody the same height as me with very little muscling.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Big issue with this is that no site is the same. I've found sites that give me anywhere from 1400-1750--one site said 700 :sick: :sick: :sick:

Anyway, I settled on 1400 and have been doing that for awhile--that's up from 1200 by the way when I plateaued. After about one month on 1400, weight loss started again. :drinker:

Well that's the thing about internet estimations...they're very, very, very rough. They are just based on an average found from a pool of people about your size. Without measuring your actual oxygen consumption, which is greatly affected by your body composition, you can't get an accurate value. Some sites ask for your body fat, which is a more accurate number than a BMR calculator that doesn't use it, so it's best to lean toward what they say if you know your body comp.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    well said and as usual, informative as well. Thanks SBS!
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You're welcome! :flowerforyou:
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options

For instance:

Ok, I have a question for you - last week I went and had my body fat and BMR tested. Body fat was tested by dunking in a tub of water - came out to 25% which is what I expected. My BMR was tested by sitting and breathing into a machine for 10 minutes, and it came out to 1,900 - then he said I burn an additional 500 just being awake, etc. So from what you said, it seems like my BMR is kinda high. I put down that I exercise 4-6 hours a week - so nothing outrageous. Is this method of measuring BMR accurate?
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    when MFP calculates my BMR is does not ask for my activity level, only height weight and age. So isn't this giving us our BMR? not the TDEE?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, again--the BMR tool is not what MFP is basing your calories upon. Look on your goals page, you'll see a number on the right hand side of the screen that is what MFP calculates to be what SBS is calling the TDEE
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

For instance:

Ok, I have a question for you - last week I went and had my body fat and BMR tested. Body fat was tested by dunking in a tub of water - came out to 25% which is what I expected. My BMR was tested by sitting and breathing into a machine for 10 minutes, and it came out to 1,900 - then he said I burn an additional 500 just being awake, etc. So from what you said, it seems like my BMR is kinda high. I put down that I exercise 4-6 hours a week - so nothing outrageous. Is this method of measuring BMR accurate?

(LOL, at first I thought you said it was determined by DRINKING a tub of water...bleh! :sick: )

Those BMR tests are the most accurate things you can reasonably do outside of a laboratory setting. As long as there are no leaks and you say/lied very still the whole 15 minutes, it's a really good estimation. Your BMR would be 1900 cals; your TDEE would be 2400, or more if that 500 doesn't include exercise. There's nothing wrong with having a high BMR. Just means you get to eat more. :happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allaboutme
    allaboutme Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ok, again--the BMR tool is not what MFP is basing your calories upon. Look on your goals page, you'll see a number on the right hand side of the screen that is what MFP calculates to be what SBS is calling the TDEE

I agree, and I changed it manually, because it doesn't do this for us. So therefore the BMR tool in here is accurate or as accurate as they get. Not everone knows that the two parts of the program aren't working together, and therefore your calories must be adjusted manually. Because of all the talk of not going below your BMR in here, people beleive that the program automatically sets this for them.

That was all I was saying.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

I agree, and I changed it manually, because it doesn't do this for us. So therefore the BMR tool in here is accurate or as accurate as they get. Not everone knows that the two parts of the program aren't working together, and therefore your calories must be adjusted manually. Because of all the talk of not going below your BMR in here, people beleive that the program automatically sets this for them.

That was all I was saying.

When you use the actual BMR Calculator under Tools, that's just BMR. It's not as accurate as others because it doesn't ask for body fat %, so you should look around for one that does.

When you set your Goals and MFP asks for your Activity Level, that is your TDEE. However, when MFP subtracts the calories to create a deficit, it may have you eat less than your BMR--maybe by quite a lot if you set a goal that is too high (like 2lbs/wk). This is why it's very important to start of with a lower goal, exercise to regain calories, and pay attention to both figures. If you start off too low, there's nowhere to go once you plateau. You're right that MFP doesn't use those two figures together, so we need to pay attention to what we're doing.