possible or not??

Options
ok so my bf and i were having a conversation this evening, and he asked what my goal weight was. i told him 180. he said there is no way possible i can reach that low of a goal. he says there only so much weight a person can lose. i do have a bigger frame then most women, kind of like a linebacker. big bones, broad shoulders, 6ft. he doesnt think its possible to get that low. and if i did, i wouldnt look "good". i have been down to 200 before, and thats only 20 lbs away from where i want to be. currently i am at 220. does that really seem that unrealistic?? it actually really pissed me off bc i cant stand being told i CANT do something! opinions??

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    180 is not unrealistic.
    Look up and see what your healthy weight would be for your body type.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    When my mom was in her twenties, she was 5'10" and weighed 140 pounds, and she has a pretty big frame, too. I'd say it's definitely possible. (:
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and build as you... and I think we can do it!
    My biggest motivation has been proving people wrong.
    If at worst we're just to thin (OMG), then we'll eat more and add some back. K?
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Oh you can definitely do it and look great! I hate when people say that. I get that a lot where people say that I have lost too much weight or if I lose any more I will look sick. Whatever... you do what you want and get to where you feel good!
  • gumby101ca
    gumby101ca Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    i have lost 51 pounds since december 2010 .. thats pretty do able i would think
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I am the same height and build as you... and I think we can do it!
    My biggest motivation has been proving people wrong.
    If at worst we're just to thin (OMG), then we'll eat more and add some back. K?
    LOVE IT! its a deal! im adding u. lol.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Let's just say, for example, you were a guy (an actual linebacker). 6' and 180 would be more like a very small wide receiver. You'd be pretty average for a guy and definitely possible to achieve. Why would the height/weight ratio be that drastically different for a woman?
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I'm sure it's possible, and if that's what you want, go for it...but maybe you can just get to where you think you look and feel good...maybe 180, maybe a bit more or a bit less. The way YOU feel about YOU is more important than any number. Keep up the good work!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    you most definitly can!
  • CMH24
    CMH24 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Healthy BMI for 6'0 is 136 - 184. Given that you are built bigger I would push the upper end of that up a tad but you could DEFINITELY reach your goal if you want it! Just do what is comfortable to YOU. My healthy BMI is 118-159. I could never see me, with my build to be lower than maybe 135 though! Eat healthy, exercise and reach whatever goal you want to set!
  • SafariLara
    SafariLara Posts: 172
    Options
    I looked up the BMI for someone 6'0 tall weighing 180 and it was around 24. You may have a big frame which will change things up a bit but that it not even close to being underweight! you might find it's the PERFECT weight for your body. GO FOR IT
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Ugh... My doctor is the one who said that to me. First she said I should just work for 200lbs... which I'm at. and when I got close to that she made sure to tell me that I will never look like a 21 year old because I've already had children. I am hell bent on proving to her that I can!
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be a solid 180 lbs. It's a lot of muscle and a ton of weight for me to maintain. I can't fathom a woman, even a wrestler, would look odd at 180 pounds and 6' tall. All the tall women I know are around 140 lbs, and they look fantastic.

IDK --- someone sounds jealous to me. :)
  • makeachange22
    Options
    go to your doctor, :) because sure he may worry about you but he doesn't know . scheduale a appointment when you hit 200lbs , and ask where should i go and what are my limits.
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Where there's a will, there's a way. You're already part way there!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to be a solid 180 lbs. It's a lot of muscle and a ton of weight for me to maintain. I can't fathom a woman, even a wrestler, would look odd at 180 pounds and 6' tall. All the tall when I know are around 140 lbs, and they look fantastic.

IDK --- somoeone sounds jealous to me. :)

I agree with this.

Sometimes the people who are around us the most and used to the way we look now are the ones who say that we're "too thin" once we lose weight, when actually we're much healthier than we used to be. I have not had this problem yet, but my dad lost a bunch of weight a couple years ago, and everyone he worked with told him he looked sickly. All the while, he was working alongside his brother who was taller and thinner than he was. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your goals, especially since your goal is absolutely reasonable.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    A generic quick math you can do is 100 lbs for the first 5 feet and 5 lbs each additional inch, then add 10% for large frame or subtract 10% for small frame, medium stays the same. This scale was supposedly a person's "minimum healthy weight". I forgot where I read it, but it was years ago.

So for you, 100 + 70 + 17 = 187 and that's IF you actually have a large frame. A lot of people say they do and they really don't. Can you touch your fingers around your wrist? If not, you may legitimately be large framed... medium can JUST touch, small can overlap. If you can touch your fingers together, then you can shoot as low as 170 without being unhealthy.

(these are quick generic scales of reference and are not exact or accurate for everyone. The math for me puts me at 100 lbs minimum. I felt I was a little too thin at 102 and am maintaining 107 right now. 5'2" small frame.) I say it's pretty darn close, as a MINIMUM.

And for men, it said 106 for first 5 feet and 6 lbs per inch after that. Which puts my DH at 154 minimum. Lowest I've seen him is 178 and he had a belly even then so it may be close as a minimum. He's 200 now and I wish he'd fix that....
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    thanks to ALL of u! the advice and the support is MUCH appreciated! look out 180... here i come!