Slow Cooker Coconut Curry

Options
craftylatvian
craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member

This is a great quick dish to throw together. I made this when I was recovering from a migraine so the ingredients are minimal, but see my notes on some other ideas. You can really reduce the calories and fat by using lite coconut milk and reduce the sodium by using dried chickpeas that have soaked overnight. I used what I had on hand at the time.

Serves 4
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
1/2 can coconut milk (you can use Lite if desired)
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
2 TB Patak's Mild Curry Paste
1 cup water
1 cup Basmati rice, cooked

In a slow cooker, combine the coconut milk, water and curry paste. Stir until everything is combined. Add the chicken, sweet potato and chickpeas. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Serve with rice.

Notes: You could add some grated ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, garlic, and onions to this as well. Fresh chopped cilantro for a garnish would work well. If you want this spicy, add some cayenne pepper or use hot curry paste. You can make this vegetarian by omitting the chicken and adding cauliflower. You could experiment with adding rice or cous cous to the slow cooker about an hour before it is done cooking.

Cal: 395 Fat: 17g, Protein: 20 Sugar: 5g, Sodium: 438

Replies

• MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I'll have to try this. Thanks for sharing!
  • alonnadodd
    alonnadodd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy! Thanks!
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

This is a great quick dish to throw together. I made this when I was recovering from a migraine so the ingredients are minimal, but see my notes on some other ideas. You can really reduce the calories and fat by using lite coconut milk and reduce the sodium by using dried chickpeas that have soaked overnight. I used what I had on hand at the time.

Serves 4
    2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into large chunks
    1/2 can coconut milk (you can use Lite if desired)
    1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
    1/2 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 TB Patak's Mild Curry Paste
    1 cup water
    1 cup Basmati rice, cooked

In a slow cooker, combine the coconut milk, water and curry paste. Stir until everything is combined. Add the chicken, sweet potato and chickpeas. Cook on low 4-6 hours. Serve with rice.

Notes: You could add some grated ginger, cinnamon, cardamon, garlic, and onions to this as well. Fresh chopped cilantro for a garnish would work well. If you want this spicy, add some cayenne pepper or use hot curry paste. You can make this vegetarian by omitting the chicken and adding cauliflower. You could experiment with adding rice or cous cous to the slow cooker about an hour before it is done cooking.

Cal: 395 Fat: 17g, Protein: 20 Sugar: 5g, Sodium: 438

does the calorie count include the rice?
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Yes, the calorie count includes the rice.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    saved for later
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    bump!