Grocery list help and question about turkey meat?

Options
I am used to pork sausage, and beef based hamburger meat. I've never had turkey sausage, turkey burgers, nor ground turkey meat. Does it taste the same?? I hated turkey bacon when i tried that like 2 yrs ago... i ended up giving it away. Also i have my basics for food shopping but what is your must have's?

Replies

• Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Turkey tastes like turkey. I love turkey burgers and I use ground turkey instead of beef in things like tacos and chili. It tastes great, but of course does not taste the same as beef.
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I don't think turkey burger tastes TOO different, it just tastes leaner and less greasy. If you season it the same it will be pretty similar. Turkey bacon tends to be way different than regular bacon. I like it, but I could see how some people don't. Turkey sausage is also really good, I prefer it to regular sausage.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I have found that the turkey meat varies a lot by brand. I have eaten some turkey bacon that I like and some that I don't like. Same thing with ground turkey. Some of it actually tastes pretty good and others I have tried have been down right nasty! Try a few brands and see if there are some you like.
  • casey12105
    casey12105 Posts: 293
    Options
    I can't really taste a difference, the only thing is the consistency of it.It's hard for me to explain but ground beef seems a bit "thicker" if that makes sense.
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I do NOT think turkey tastes like pork or beef. There are some things I don't like to sub the turkey into. You will just have to try it out and see. I like turkey meatloaf and turkey for tacos. I do not like turkey burgers or turkey sausage really. I hate turkey kielbasa. So really, I think it's a trial and error thing. What I do like as subs for beef are bison or buffalo and also elk. Some people don't like that though.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Doesn't taste the same and still has fat in it. If really on the fence go for a leaner ground beef. When I asked my Nutritionist about it she said there is not much nutritional difference just go for the leanest available.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I think it is wonderful. I use turkey as a substitute for beef in about everything. Is a turkey burger as good as a hamburger.....nope, but I make that sacrifice so I can enjoy a real hamburger occasional. I get the ground patties and regular ground. Turkey bacon and hot dog are good. The only think I haven't liked is the turkey link sausage, it's a bit to dry.
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I don't mind Turkey bacon, and I really can't tell the difference too much with Turkey Kielbasa... Still apprehensive to try the ground turkey....
  • lovinmamaxo
    lovinmamaxo Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Doesn't taste the same and still has fat in it. If really on the fence go for a leaner ground beef. When I asked my Nutritionist about it she said there is not much nutritional difference just go for the leanest available.

Yeah i have never tasted it so didn't want to judge beforehand. I have been buying 93% lean ground beef.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of ground turkey, on its own, you can mix it up with the ground beef you like.
    As far as turkey bacon you might try different brands and withing those brands there is a small variety of kinds of turkey bacon. If the taste still is not appealing you could: cook it until its nice and crispy, toss it with some eggs, add a tablespoon of mozzarella and some salsa, then and wrap it all up in a whole grain tortilla. Delish!
  • lfcutie
    lfcutie Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    i hate turkey bacon as well.....i do love turkey burgers....if you make your own patties make sure you season well.....they can be tasteless if not.,.,.i use jeanie o ground turkey italian in my spaghetti....it taste like sausage without the fattiness of if.,.,.,the actual turkey sausage has a different texture but taste good.....u should also try ground chicken that is good also:) i like chicken breakfast sausage at trader joes:)
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Turkey isn't bad it just needs some extra seasoning added to it! My must haves are Hummus, and Pita chips
  • 38Gigi38
    38Gigi38 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I haven't tired the turkey stuff yet, but I really love buffalo meat in place of hamburger. It's much more tender and leaner.
    My must haves are pita bread, I use that stuff for everything. Pita chips and hummus are another big snack thing for me and I but a lot of granola bars/fiber bars for snacks too. This time I'm going to get more fruit.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I hate ground turkey. No it doesn't taste the same as beef at all, but some people may have a certain way they prepare that helps it to taste similar. Me, personally, I'll just never be a fan.

I do love turkey breast lunchmeat, turkey bacon, etc.
  • meaganborkowski
    Options
    We use turkey for everything instead of beef. I think it pretty much tastes the same.
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Jennie-O make s an Italian ground turkey that works well for pasta dishes... Other than that they are completely different.

I love turkey bacon by Oscar Myer way better than Jennie-O.

:)
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the taste of ground turkey, on its own, you can mix it up with the ground beef you like.
    As far as turkey bacon you might try different brands and withing those brands there is a small variety of kinds of turkey bacon. If the taste still is not appealing you could: cook it until its nice and crispy, toss it with some eggs, add a tablespoon of mozzarella and some salsa, then and wrap it all up in a whole grain tortilla. Delish!

This is my recommendation as well. Mix it up and have the taste you expect with reduced calories and fat. Turkey bacon is BAD:noway: . Actually about the same calories and doesn't taste like bacon to me......
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I use ground turkey sometimes, but I have found that the leanest ground beef or sirloin has less fat and calories than ground turkey. I actually prefer ground chicken to ground turkey. I use all three depending on the recipe. I like them all for different things. I just buy the lowest fat option for whichever I buy.

I don't like turkey breakfast sausage, so I just buy the lean pork. I do love chicken sausages. I cut them up and use them with pasta or rice. Johnsonville makes several different flavored ones that are all really good.
  • mamalees
    mamalees Posts: 4
    Options
    i make my own pork sausage so it has way less fat in it and so what i do is mix 3/4 ground turkey with a 1/4 ground organic beef but we have ground venison so it has way less fat too but if u can make your own ground pork sausage mix it with ground turkey!!
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Personaly I like turkey burgers and ground turkey by perdue and jennie O shady brooks is horrible, but that is just my opinion. Only way to find out is give it a try. I do know that you like chicken and they sell ground chicken breast as well which subs well in chili (yum chicken chili) you can make burgers, tacos, spaghetti, just about anything you make with ground beef and it usually works great mostly because chicken plain is well plain and it takes on the flavor of what you cook it with :) A must have for me for my shopping list is the sugar free individual drink mix packets. They have so many option for them and since I am not good about drinking my water it really helps when Im just not in the mood for reg old H2O. Hummus is another YUMMY necessity great to dip veggies and kaashi crackers in! :) good luck on your food adventure! lol