2lb gain after all my efforts - why?????

Options
I've been good this week, have eaten salad all through a family holiday, walked my legs off, exercised like a mad woman, yet have put on weight, lost muscle, put on fat. Feeling very demotivated. I did eat a little more yesterday but only because I was struggling to eat back my exercise calories and my net cals were still under goal. What am I doing wrong???? :sad: :sad: :sad:

Replies

• rosec005
    rosec005 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    What are you using to determine you lost muscle and gained fat?
  • hellen72
    hellen72 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I put on 2 pounds after running a marathon on Sunday
    The body does not work like a machine or follow a set formula. There are so many other things going on that we dont know about/ don't consider

So my 2 pound is partly the pigging out before and after the marathon but not 7000 cal worth. After a marathon there is a lot of muscle damage, the body retains water to help repair this thus the gain. It should be gone by the weekend

I am sure in a few days/ a week yours will show up on the scales, you could have water retention for many reasons
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    salad is crap..eat something with carbs!
  • Witchypoo777
    Witchypoo777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've got some scales that measure weight, fat, muscle, water, BMI based on height / age. Have just done my measurements too - there's a gain all over! But water % is lower than last week so its all just fat. It's soul destroying!
  • Witchypoo777
    Witchypoo777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *Update* 2 days later I was 6lbs down!! I have no idea what happened, but I'm a happy bunny again now.... :happy: :happy:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I suggest looking at your weight loss on a graph - I can see my weight "looping" - down for a few weeks,then up then down again.
  • Dawntodusk
    Dawntodusk Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would guess that the excessive exercise is causing you to retain water. When you exercise the muscles store excess glycogen to nourish the muscles. Glycogen is always stored with water. Those two pounds will probably go down within a week or two. The same thing happened to me, but after a week, I lost the two pounds, and 3 days after that I lost another pound. Don't give up.