Multi-Vitamin

Options
What's a good quality multi-vitamin?
I can't take lots of pills due to a hyper-gagger, but I know I am not getting enough calcium (since I have issues digesting milk) and may be lacking in a few other areas as well.
I know the best way to get those are through food, but I am struggling with that and don't want my body to suffer the damage.

My nutrition teacher said not all multi-viatmins are equal and some hardly are absorbed by your body. She did a test with vinegar and one tablet, if it rapidly dissolved it was a good one.

Any suggestions or guidance to another thread that discusses this?

Replies

• ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    What's a good quality multi-vitamin?
    I can't take lots of pills due to a hyper-gagger, but I know I am not getting enough calcium (since I have issues digesting milk) and may be lacking in a few other areas as well.
    I know the best way to get those are through food, but I am struggling with that and don't want my body to suffer the damage.

My nutrition teacher said not all multi-viatmins are equal and some hardly are absorbed by your body. She did a test with vinegar and one tablet, if it rapidly dissolved it was a good one.

Any suggestions or guidance to another thread that discusses this?
  • Fit2btied
    Options
    My nutritionist and I had this discussion last week! She said to look and make sure that it either comes from a lab or has USP on the label, meaning that it went through a lab. Crazy all the products on the market that aren't what you think they are...and they cost sooo much money!!!
  • akwhite
    akwhite Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    If you just need calcium you can pop a couple TUMS after eating a meal. It gives you 80% of your calcium needs. I heard that from Dr. Oz on Oprah!
    Otherwise I've heard the best vitamins are food based. Food based helps you body absorb them.
    Lately I've been taking a liquid vitamin supplement I purchased at Whole Foods (I also have the hyper gag thing). They taste yuck...but it's not too basd and I think really work...I have so much more energy!
    Good luck!
  • DonHawk
    Options
    i started getting cramps , alot, when i started dieting, and my doctor said it was due to low calcium and magnesium, however , even the good mulivitamins didnt contains even close to the daily requirements for calcium, under his advice , i purchased nature-made brand 750mg calcium pills, like 5.99 for 100 tablets, i take this, a magnesium pill, also cheap, and a once daily mens vitamin. walgreens has these, they are not that big, and its once a day, i suppose you could even crush them and put in something to drink