Need motivation!

Options
jmgj27
jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
Hi everybody

I'm new here although I've been reading some of the posts out there and found them really useful. I've managed to lose 37lbs so far (was 39 but having ONE day off at Easter meant I piled on 3lbs apparently - still hoping it was largely water weight!) and I'm happy with that. BUT...I'm having a few issues with motivation and I would really appreciate some help and guidance from those who've experienced similar problems.

Basically, it's split into two things:
(1) I know that I look different. I've done all the tricks - taking photos of myself every 7lbs or so and getting into clothes I wore when I was 18. Unfortunately, despite all the nice things people are saying, I genuinely don't feel any different inside at all. I managed to get to about this weight once before and felt fantastic. Now, I just feel fat. Not hideous or grossly obese, just fat and unattractive. I'm worried about that. I don't have any mental hang-ups although obviously I've always known that I was fat (I was this weight when I was 12) and there were self-confidence consequences. I guess I'm expecting a sudden breakthrough but don't know if there's anything I can do to promote this. Any help?
(2) I'm losing motivation because my weight's been fluctuating between 171 and 175 for the last couple of weeks. Not to mention that I have lost loads of cms from bust and waist but my *kitten* just looks at me and says 'what?'. I'm not a natural pear shape either (hourglass) so I don't understand what its issue is. I've tried specific *kitten* exercises and just succeeding in straining it (an awesome thing to deal with at work!). I'm trying to be patient but it's so hard to keep being motivated on the food front (exercise motivation isn't a problem for me). Any motivational tips out there?

I love to exercise so there's never any problem on that (I love to run!) but food is a difficult area for me so that's where I need the help most...how do I not fall off the wagon and into the cheesecake?

7011311.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• makeachange22
    Options
    you're most likely pleateauing , happens every once in a while. honestly just keep active, keep eating healthy and work past it . and always keep your thoughts positive
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    be positive. I love this site and I have met some wonderful people!
  • lowsky
    lowsky Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel I am going through exactly what you are... I have to be honest though I have not been following my plan... but I am back on it now. The silly thing is that when I was doing my plan I felt like I got stuck at a certain weight... then I went off the plan and nothing really changed, but I missed being committed to myself. This is more than just loosing weight it is letting yourself know through your actions that you are worth spending that extra 3 mins a meal to track what you ate. There are days that I snack. SO WHAT. I take it one day at a time and if there is a day I go over my calories a little I just exercise longer. It seems to work for me. Another thing is not too take this so seriously that it stresses you out. MFP is supposed to be fun and supportive not a horrible obligation. One thing that I did to help me make it through my weight plateau was just to look at my body in a full length mirror spend time looking at it and sending love to it, until I felt beautiful.

I hope my ramblings help. And remember do not forget all of your triumphs you have made so far.
  • missymac97
    missymac97 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Just remember that everyday is a new day with new beginnings, so if you have a bad day (Easter was a day of eating for me!) and eat something that you're not suppose to, don't get down on yourself. We all have made bad decisions on food and that's why a lot of us are here. What it definitely sounds like is that you're plateauing though. The best way to get out of a plateau is to change up your exercise routine, do something different, or even change up your diet, go vegetarian for a week. That switch in your exercise or diet is going 'shock' your body and you'll be out of the plateau in no time! I'm at a plateau myself, I just started doing this again today after 4 months in order to get back on track. Good luck to you, stay strong and say "no" to cheese cake!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that - it does help to hear that others have had wobbles as well. I guess it's just hard when I look at myself in the mirror and go 'ho-hum'. I worry that I'll reach my goal weight and still not feel any different. I know that being thin doesn't make you happy by itself but I do sort of think it should help!

7011311.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter