Runners

Options
I just recently started running...I'd say I started on uh Saturday ( I didn't run on Easter though) I can run for about 10 minutes straight before I am like dead...should I run 10 minutes this week and then on Saturday try an aim to run for 12 minutes...like gradually increase my time by two minutes each week? Would that be a good way to get into running?

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I just started out doing a 6k circuit. To start with it took me 50 mins, then 48, then 45, now it takes me 35 mins. I would recommend starting out really slow and just seeing how long you can keep going for. Find a circuit of around 5k, run where you can, then stop and walk, then run again if you feel you can further on. Then next time try to run a little further before walking. The first 8 minutes are the hardest, I find. Once I get into a rhythm I can keep going for hours, but you have to get over the first 8 minutes of feeling like you want to die!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I find a great way to get into running is to maybe start with a run/walk.....do it as intervals where you IE run 3 min walk 1min or whatever you find comfortable....then just build up from there ;)
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I would personally recommend running for 2-3 minutes, walking 2-3 and repeat. Pace yourself and it will gradually get easier to go longer periods of time running. Different things work for different people though
  • lisapickering
    Options
    That's a great way to get into running. The "rule" is not increase by more than 10% per week. 12 mins would be 20% but I think you'll be ok.

It's a great sport!

Yes - run/walk is a great idea too!
  • lwdllc
    lwdllc Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    google couch to 5k program, it is a great way to not over exert yourself - which makes you too fatigued and discouraged and more likely to quit :) I am on week 4 of the program and its great!
  • freedomplease
    Options
    Have you considered doing the C25k? It's a great program for beginners.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Doing a couch to 5K (C25K) program is a great way to start running even if you don't plan on running a race.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the C25K (couch to 5k) training. Even if you do not want to run a 5k, it eases you into running.
  • kar1ssa
    kar1ssa Posts: 9
    Options
    thanks everyone. I'll definitely take the advice.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just started out doing a 6k circuit. To start with it took me 50 mins, then 48, then 45, now it takes me 35 mins. I would recommend starting out really slow and just seeing how long you can keep going for. Find a circuit of around 5k, run where you can, then stop and walk, then run again if you feel you can further on. Then next time try to run a little further before walking. The first 8 minutes are the hardest, I find. Once I get into a rhythm I can keep going for hours, but you have to get over the first 8 minutes of feeling like you want to die!

This is what my boyfriend did.. but with 3km at first now he does 5 and 8km runs. I think I might try too..
  • butterflyinamber78
    butterflyinamber78 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with the first response, a walk/run cycle can be a good way to improve both speed and distance. For me, that 10-12 minute "I want to die" thing has never gone away. The only thing that gets me through it is that experience has taught me that once I get past that, I can run just about forever, at my pace.
    Good luck and stick with it.
    Also, invest in good shoes, and replace them every 4-6 months, broken down running shoes hurt like hell (pardon the language, but I don't want to soften it, thats really how it feels). On top of that, you can cause yourself real damage to joints and feet. Knees don't heal well! I know some people have gone to the barefoot running movement, but a torn up pair of shoes has nothing in common with that!

:glasses:
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with BettyBoop. I started running at the end of January and had to run/walk a 5k because I couldn't run more than about 10 minutes or so. I can now run a 5k in about 26 minutes. The key to this was not to run too fast to start with (I run on the treadmill to save my knees and started out running at 9km an hour). Good tips would be:
    - run intervals (10 mins run, 2 mins walk to start with) and aim to run about 5km each time.
    - once you can run comfortably for about 20 minutes without stopping, try to run the whole distance without stopping
    - you should be able to hold a breathy conversation whilst you're running - if you can't speak (except for the sprint towards the end), you're going too fast
    - make sure you have good running shoes - you will end up with shin splints SO fast if you don't. I swear by Asics but any good running shop will be able to help you out. It really is worth the extra money.
    - Remember that you will always have bad runs - I can happily run 15km without stopping but every now and then a 5k still comes back to bite me for no reason.
    - The key to running is definitely consistency - don't let yourself create excuses - you should aim to run 4 or 5 times a week to see your fitness improve quickly and 3 or 4 to maintain. You will always be tired or hungry or busy but you need to make time to run.

Once you start enjoying it (took me about two weeks) you will love it! I love running - even the bad runs - and it is the single fastest way to burn off calories!

7011311.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    slow down

run/walk

run 2 or 3 times per week

listen to your body