Diet coke and flavored water

Options
I need some motivating stories to help me kick the artificial sweeteners for good. I am a long time diet coke drinker (starting at age 13). When I try to cut out the diet coke I usually end up turning to flavored water (which also has some type of artificial sweetener). Please share your bad tidbits about diet pop and success stories from dropping it!

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Carbonation gives you gas and caffiene dehydrates you. Lots of studies say it can make you hungry too! Try Crystal Light, Vitamin Water Zero, Powerade Zero or Lifewaer 0, all can be counted as water and help with dieting not obstruct it!

I dropped it in Dec of 2010 and have lost about 50 since then!
  • Hemis_mom
    Hemis_mom Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love poland springs sparkling water (no artificial anything including sugar) but tastes great and hits that fizzy spot I crave sometimes since giving up soda
  • tamarawisniewski
    tamarawisniewski Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Metromint water? It is water with mint (some of the flavors are chocomint, pepperming, spearmint, and orangemint). NO sweetners, just water with mint and then the essence of cocoa or orange.SOOO good. Also, a great way to flavor up your own water : lemon (a little freshly squeezed lemon and some wedges), mint, cucumber slices (no peel, the peel will leave it bitter), and some freshly grated giner. Very good and refreshing. I also have flavored my water with orange slices, strawberries, and even watermelon cubes. :smile:
  • BananaBee3
    BananaBee3 Posts: 224
    Options
    I have never had a real bad habit with diet pop, but I DO remember when my mom started buying sparkling water when I was in high school and it made me realize that I really only like pop for the carbonation. Sparkling water is SO much more refreshing than any kind of pop because it doesn't have any sugar in it.

Some brands will have artificial sweeteners in there, so just be mindful when looking at the ingredients. La Croix is a good brand; it's only water and natural flavor, while store brands usually have artificial sweeteners in them...I found drinking those big bottles gave me a headache.

I also use Crystal Light and other products similar to that. I find I drink A LOT more water when it's flavored.
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Soda makes you bloat.
  • allisoncook87
    allisoncook87 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I went grocery shopping with my boyfriend and I was practically in tears when he said we were in no way buying anymore diet coke. :( I got over it. outta sight outta mind I guess. It's hard for me too sometimes
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I was hard core super addicted to Diet Coke (only in a can!)--and though I didn't plan it, quitting cold turkey worked for me :smile:
    I had empties littering my car floor, couldn't function w/out it in the morning--my friends called me a diet coke junkie. Then one year the 1st day of winter break (I'm a teacher) I woke up and was out! It was like 30 below and I just wanted to stay home in my jammies and lie on the couch watching TV (I was on vacation, right?). The only other caffeine I had in my house was lipton tea bags, so I brewed a pitcher of iced tea. Now I've never liked my tea sweetened or flavored so I just drank it plain. I got through that 1st day and decided not to buy any more Diet Coke and I didn't drink any for a long time other than as a mixer w/ rum when out w/ friends. Since then I have switched to green tea (still caffeinated and unsweetened) and I now allow myself a can of Diet Coke now and then as a "treat" but I still never buy cases of it as a staple for the house.

I say just go for it--it sounds like you like the sweet flavors so you could try an herbal tea (mixed with a black or green if you want the caffeine)--Starbucks makes an awesome Passion Tazo that is pretty fruity and sweet even w/out sweetener which is how I always drink it--zero calories! Maybe order one to see if you like it--if you do, you can buy a can to brew for yourself at home.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I was hard core super addicted to Diet Coke (only in a can!)--and though I didn't plan it, quitting cold turkey worked for me :smile:
    I had empties littering my car floor, couldn't function w/out it in the morning--my friends called me a diet coke junkie. Then one year the 1st day of winter break (I'm a teacher) I woke up and was out! It was like 30 below and I just wanted to stay home in my jammies and lie on the couch watching TV (I was on vacation, right?). The only other caffeine I had in my house was lipton tea bags, so I brewed a pitcher of iced tea. Now I've never liked my tea sweetened or flavored so I just drank it plain. I got through that 1st day and decided not to buy any more Diet Coke and I didn't drink any for a long time other than as a mixer w/ rum when out w/ friends. Since then I have switched to green tea (still caffeinated and unsweetened) and I now allow myself a can of Diet Coke now and then as a "treat" but I still never buy cases of it as a staple for the house.

I say just go for it--it sounds like you like the sweet flavors so you could try an herbal tea (mixed with a black or green if you want the caffeine)--Starbucks makes an awesome Passion Tazo that is pretty fruity and sweet even w/out sweetener which is how I always drink it--zero calories! Maybe order one to see if you like it--if you do, you can buy a can to brew for yourself at home.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    I try to avoid artificial sweeteners too because they tend to aggravate a chronic pain condition. I've found that using Stevia extract (an all-natural noncaloric sweetener which goes by the brand name Truvia, PureVia and others) gives me a little sweetness without the chemicals. SoBe Lifewater uses this natural sweetener and their drinks are delicious when you're looking for something sweet. I've learned to drink plain or sparkling water mostly. Sometimes I'll add a little stevia and lemon juice to water for a calorie-free lemonade. For a rich, sweet treat without the sugar spike, I'll make a hot chocolate using 8 oz. skim milk, a drop of vanilla extract, a tablespoon or two of unsweetened cocoa powder, and a tablespoon or two of agave syrup. The agave syrup has calories but it's low-glycemic so it doesn't raise blood sugar like regular sugar does. And it tastes wonderful with chocolate. Best of luck!
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I gave up diet coke and anything else with aspartame when I hit my first weight plateau on the advice of a friend. I dropped another 10lbs within about two weeks following that. Couldn't believe it! I do drink coffee occasionally so I'm not caffeine free (and don't see the need since I don't drink much coffee). I have noticed that, having suffered from migraines for years, I haven't had one in the last 6 weeks since I gave it up - interesting...