Sherbert or Ice Cream?

Options
I was looking at the nutrition facts on the sherbert container and its only 20 calories less than Ice cream and most everything else is higher than ice cream. Sugars 24g vs 17 in ice cream...
Which one is Actually better?

Replies

• beckystephens
    beckystephens Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would go for the less sugar!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    LOL I noticed the same thing when trying to decide between frozen yogurt and ice cream...the ice cream was only a few calories more and less sugar! So i went with ice cream...pays to read your labels :)
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Well, I would go with whatever I thought tasted better, and not go overboard.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    They do have fat free no sugar added ice cream, too. It's only 90 cals for 1/2 cup. It doesn't taste the greatest alone, but I get the vanilla and then break up some chocolate animal crackers in it, add a little fat free cool whip, and a splash of milk (i use soy) and it tastes like an oreo blizzard :)
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Definitely find which ever has the lesser of the things you consider evils. If you're watching carbs and sugar, go for what has less. If you're watching fats then obviously the ice cream will be a nono, but you could sub with a yogurt instead of the sherbert. Sherbert is really like an Italian ice only creamier - they're both frozen sugar water in the end.

It ultimately depends on what you're tracking and how much you have to spare.
  • miseducation1327
    miseducation1327 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for whichever has less sugar...which ultimately turns to fat in the run. Also stay away from the artificial sweetners in the fat free stuff because it is toxic!
  • Goose82
    Goose82 Posts: 8
    Options
    I like sherbert way more than ice cream...lol I guess I'll go with that...thx guys!
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Kemps fat free frozen yogurt has no fat and only 90 cals for 1/2 a cup. I don't recall most of the other stats, but I do remember that while it has corn syrup in it, there is no high fructose corn syrup. I got chocolate and gave it to my 4-year-old telling her it was ice cream and she didn't notice any difference. I think it tastes pretty good.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sherbet is basically just a fruitier version of ice cream. It's still dairy based and pretty similar overall. If you like the fruitiness of sherbet you could look into some fresh fruit sorbets. They tend to be naturally lower in calories because they aren't dairy based and the fruit flavor is way brighter and robust since that's the main flavor carrying the item.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Screw both. Go for Fage Total or GELATO! lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I like sherbert way more than ice cream...lol I guess I'll go with that...thx guys!

I'm with you! I'll almost always pick sherbet over ice cream just because I like the fruitiness of it. Blue Bunny makes fat free sherbets that are really good. 110 calories per half cup.
  • frostiegurl
    frostiegurl Posts: 708 Member
    Options

I concur, or even go for Sorbet. Yumm Yumm
  • Ashtrizzle
    Options
    Mmmm yes. Looooove gelato.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Fat free sorbets! Best of both worlds. The sugar is a little high but that's because it's fruit.

My mango sorbet is the only thing I care about in the ice cream aisle. And maybe occasional fudgecicles.
  • BlazedBetty
    Options
    I just bought this

http://www.myarcticzero.com/

and I'm gonna try it tonight...

I'm a little skeptical with a PINT being 150 calories... but someone on here recommended it so I did a store search and bought 2 pints of Chocolate Peanut Butter....
    The way I figure it, even if it's not very good... it can't be that bad.. it's ICE CREAM! lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero isn't technically ice cream. It's a whey protein based frozen dessert with no dairy or fat in it at all. That said, it's not bad at all. It's actually also slightly under 150 calories per pint but they round up for the big announcement on the front. :) I like the mint chocolate cookie one the best and the hubby liked the coffee one the best. The chocolate PB is pretty tasty as is the vanilla with a hint of maple. The plain chocolate was my least favorite. But I stopped buying it mostly because it's pretty pricey, not because of taste or anything.

Now I buy Wow Cow, which is basically a soft serve version of the same type of thing. The Wow Cow is water, whey protein, yogurt cultures, guar gum, and the chocolate base has cocoa in it. I find it at local frozen yogurt shops. (not chain type places like Yogurtland or Pinkberry, but the local mom and pop shops) It's only nine calories per ounce and comes in a ton more flavors than the Artic Zero (some of my faves are marshmallow, butterscotch, peanut butter fudge cookie, grasshopper, angel food cake, chocolate malt, pecan praline, NY cheesecake and butter pecan...but really, I like them all and there are dozens more) The shops around me always have two or three flavors at a time so I always get combos and keep them on hand at pretty much all times. :D