Zumba or Spin

Options
So I know this a personal preference question! I am debating on signing up for a class. I want something where I can push myself more. It has been raining a lot here and I find running on the treadmill torture! I want something different do . I am also getting close to my goal weight, 13 pounds away! I need to up my exercising and also want to start toning.

So here is my question. What do you prefer? The pros and cons.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    spin all the way! :) total cardio burn and all core exercising!
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    I have never tried Zumba. But, I bought a spinning bike for home and I love it. Very high calorie burn and low impact. I use it at night for about 30 minutes while I am watching one of my shows.
  • reneeswartz
    Options
    I love zumba! I have lost 21 pounds and it is my only form of excersise. I burn about 700- 850 calories in a 60 minute class and it is shaping my body (hips, thighs, butt) becasue of all the dance movement. You can push yourself, but depending on the class and instructor you cna only push so far, I have never taken a spin class but I would think it's a good option to push your limits. BUT if you want FUN and a great workout, do zumba!!
  • dorashelton
    Options
    Zumba is awesome if you like latin dancing and dancing you'll like Zumba. I think zumba is a great chioce.
  • hayzacanak
    Options
    Zumba if you like to dance! It's alot of latin infused dancing and hip shaking. :) I lost about 5 pounds in one week going to 5 zumba classes, about an hour each. :)
    I haven't tried spin, but i've heard it's awesome!
  • Jlcit
    Jlcit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Spinning is awesome. It offers major cardio and is a great core workout. I have only done zumba once. It was ok.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I actually take both a spin class and a zumba class at my gym...I think I burn more calories during the spin class, but I think both are alot of fun. Can you try both and see which one you like better?
  • denitraross
    denitraross Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have done both - and I prefer Zumba..I found the spin class very very boring (although the instructor mixes it up and songs are different)..there is only so much you can do on a bike.....however, with Zumba, it is never boring, you are constantly moving your whole body, not just your legs...and if your a music fan and generally like to dance anyway...it never feels like exercise...and depending on how much you push your self you can get a great, sweaty, out of breath but fun workout :)....my humble opinion anyway...I went to Zumba for a full year - and your results in your core area are amazing!
  • featherweight221
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my zumba class! You can control how hard you want to push and it's tons of fun! I've gotten much more tone and have lost 15 pounds! Not just due to zumba, but it really helps. The people are great, the music is exciting and you just let it all hang out! You don't even notice the hour go by.
  • tracybeau13
    Options
    I started spinning classes in January and you can burn between 400 - 650+ calories in a 45 minute class. It really depends on the instructor. I tried Zumba one time and didn't feel like I burned as much as spinning. A friend of mine swears by the Zumba class she goes to, so again it depends on the instructor. You also have to be comfortable enough to get up in a class and shake your body.
  • koizumi6
    koizumi6 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    stupid question but are 'spin' classes and 'cycle' classes the same thing or is there another element involved in either class? I am a member of LA Fitness and they have 'cycle' classes listed on their schedule