Tight psoas (hip) muscle

Options
Has anyone else experienced a severly tight psoas muscle? I have been having issues with my hip area while running and went to the chiroprator for it on Friday. He diagnosed it as an incredibly tight psoas, adjusted my hips and had massage/stimulation therapy ordered. Now I have even worse pain in my butt and outer hip - which didn't event hurt before! Ugh. Do any of you have advice on what else to do for it??

Replies

• jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I recommend using a foam roller to roll out the hips/ IT bands/ back/ legs. It is great for runners!! I swear by using mine. :bigsmile:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_CategoryID_E_363 I have the 3' long, 6" round one.
  • sweetmanjd
    sweetmanjd Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Foam rolling is my idea of the miracle cure. You can pick one up for $15 and watch You Tube videos for the "how to" - just go to You Tube and search "foam roller exercises" - a big list pops up.
    Be warned - it can be very intense, like a deep tissue massage. Just breathe through it and you will feel much better after.
    Good luck!
  • WildflowerAL
    WildflowerAL Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Foam roller has been awesome!! $15 at Wal-Mart it takes just a couple of minutes a day.
  • dianaf423
    Options
    I have had ongoing hip problems for years now, 2 surgeries on my right hip to repair a torn labrum. I would be carfeul with pain that seems to be in the psoas area. A torn labrum can manifest itself in the groin area and can be difficult to diagnose. Im not saying this is your problem but hips arent something to mess with as they can also lead to knee and foot issues as mine have. Give it some rest and lots of ice and if it doesnt get better go see a good ortho, preferably one specializing in hips. If you are in the NY area I can make some great recommendations
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    chiro probably shifted the issue closer to the actual problem. Keep going back until it's corrected. In the mean time, I recommend activon/icy hot (awesome roll on stuff), and a heating pad, and taking it easy.
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great feedback! I'll have to look into those foam rollers!

Sarah
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    The foam roller and the psoas stretch on the swiss ball (see here on YouTube: http://youtu.be/3QTXloCuMg8 ) have been my saving grace. Mine got so bad that I could feel it in my low back. I was down and out for about 6 weeks doing chiropractic, massage, foam rolling and LOTS and LOTS of yoga and stretching. Now I do these things regularly.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    My first thought is some hip-opening yoga stretches... but I am not medically qualified, so take that with a few grains of salt.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    While I'm all for foam rollers, you aren't going to be able to use it on your psoas--can't reach it. :wink: