Planet Fitness?

Options
Does anyone go to Planet Fitness? If so, how do you like it? What is good about it? What don't you like? I'm thinking about joining.

Replies

• Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    its good if you have an already exercise plan. but the reason i dont like it it bc some have tanning beds and others dont and more of all... they dont have GROUP classes. but if you have a plan for exercise, it's a grreat place!
  • dixieglfla
    Options
    PF is ok. I joined a year ago and went but it wasn't for me. Very crowded and although they say no grunters or muscle men, we definitely had pretty bodies in ours. I canceled my membership and ended up getting one at a local gym and loved it, however it was more expensive and when I got laid off I had to let it go. They had pilates and zumba classes also that I liked. PF does not have that. BUT for lack of having a gym, I have a friend who is going and I'm thinking of joining again since I have someone to work out with!
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't go to one, but my niece was telling me about it the other day. I guess the biggest draw is that it is cheap. I think she said $10 per month.

Go and check it out. I am sure they will give you a free pass if you are thinking about joining. That is the best way to see if it is right for you.

M
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I just can't get a good work out in a library. They do have good equipment, though.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I belong to it. I love that its 24 hours during the week. You can go in at non-peak hours...get in and get out. The only bad is that there isn't any classes, but other than that for the price and no contract its awesome.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I don't go to one, but my niece was telling me about it the other day. I guess the biggest draw is that it is cheap. I think she said $10 per month.

Go and check it out. I am sure they will give you a free pass if you are thinking about joining. That is the best way to see if it is right for you.

M

Nope they don't do passes unfortunately. $20 a day.
  • babytmarie27
    Options
    Its good because its inexpensive so you dont feel so guilty if you go a month without going. If you tend to only use the machines at the gym its the right place for you but if you are looking for classes, swimming pool, basketball courts or daycare they have none of that, thats why its so cheap. I dont know about where you are but I pay $10 a month. Thats nothing. ....plus its open 24hours except on the weekends at mine, it closes at 7pm. I love my gym!
  • babytmarie27
    Options
    yeah the passes are expensive...if you get the $20 membership you can bring one person with you whenever you want...I dont have that membership but I have brought people with me lol You just say they are interested in joining and ask if they can try the gym out :)
  • susancelli928
    Options
    I belong and I am a black card member and I love the fact that I can go whenever I want. I also like the fact that when I am done my workout I can go into the massage chair and go tanning. The only downfall is that they arent open 24 hours on the weekend.
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    the one I went to in ocean springs Ms. rocked
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I am a planet fitness member and I absolutely LOVE it there. I've been a member since Feb. 1st of this year. They are so kind and always willing to help. I also like the fact that they don't crowd you while you are there.
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    I'm a blackcard member and love it. I often bring my teenage daughter as my guest. Haven't tried the massage chairs and haven't done the tanning although I have taken advantage of the 1/2 price drinks on days I forget my water. My club gave me a schedule with peak times which is usually after work (4-6pm) but since they're open 24 hours I go home, eat, relax and then head over after the rush. Weekends are only open until 7pm which is kind of a pain but it's always dead in there. I've only ever seen a couple of machines down and never for more than 1-2 days. If you're just looking to work out (not take classes) it's a great place.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I go there as well. I love it. The price is right and there are two of them in my town so I can go to either one. With the black card membership you can go to any planet fitness in the country. I take my grand daughters and an occasional friend. I like being able to do that and tanning and the massage chairs. I never feel out of place there and even the guys that are super buff are willing to give advice on lifting and stuff. Nobody laughed AT me but they were willing to laugh with me at some of the antics I have tried to pull off as exercise. All in all for the money I can't beat it.
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    As someone already said, it's great if you already have an exercise plan. It is literally JUST exercise equipment. You can get a trainer though, it seems to be fairly priced.

Pros:
    It's CHEAP ($10/month).
    You can get a Black Card (unlimited access at any location) for only $20/month
    They run promos with no start up fees or contracts.
    The machines are fairly new/kept up
    There is a personal t.v. on every piece of cardio equipment

Cons:
    The $10/month is limited to the gym you signed up at
    ALWAYS crowded (some times you have to wait for machines)
    Because it's always busy, machines are out of order a lot
    PIZZA every first friday or something. It grosses me out and is unhealthy image for gym
    Does NOT offer a free trial
    No group classes or day care

Hope this helps!
  • lipt8611
    lipt8611 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    like others have said, it's great if you have a plan. it's also great if you don't like to be bothered and enjoy a wide range of cardio machines.

i go to mine right after work (m-f I'm done at 2:30) and i've never had to wait for a machine. I often get one right in front of the tv I want, too. I like that you can plug in to listen to the tvs. it's a ver y low-frills kind of place, but that doesn't bother me. I like to come in, do my cardio and some lifting and then focus on floor/freeweight exercises. This place is perfect for that.

also, and this pains me to give my secret away, but the arc trainer machines are the best, hardest machine workout i've ever done. i rave and rave about these machines.

If you're interested, and I don't know if it's all PF, but mine has a 30 minute "express" workout which alternates lifting machines and steppers to get your heartrate up a bit.

i've been a member for about 6 months and it works for me. however, i'm thinking about leaving to join a more expensive gym so i can go with a friend of mine who does spin class every day- I do miss having the option to take classes.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my PF. It's just about a mile from the house and for convenience it is even in the shopping plaza where I get all of my fresh fruit and veggies!

After two weeks I was able to get a feel for when they were not at peak capacity. I get to see a lot of the same faces when I am there and while we don't chat it up we get little encouragements from each other. The staff is fantastic at my location too.

And, they DO have the tanning beds which I know some people don't like but I was all excited about it. I'm seriously more pale than a vampire - even in summer!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad gym. My only complaints are no real bench press, no squat rack, no deadlift area.

But for general fitness its a great deal. My PF is doing free training info, dunno if the others do. So you can get a routine from a trainer.

It's definately a great place to go if you know what you're doing already.
  • shadow3829
    shadow3829 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I belong and love it. I've been to different one here and have always had great experiences. They have enough equipment that there is never a wait. The staff is great and the place is super clean. It has become one of my favorite gyms that I have ever belonged.
  • Debtappe
    Debtappe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Thanks so much. Lots of good advice and since I'm looking for a place with aerobic machines and weights it seems to be perfect for me. I'm going to join this week.
  • Walking2Lose
    Walking2Lose Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The first gym I ever joined was one in my town that was open 24/7 if you were a member and it was big and had a lot of the same treadmills and the same elliptals (I know I spelled it wrong lol) and the same bikes etc...So, when I joined PF last summer I was not impressed b/c they didn't have as many treadmills (that is what I use at gym for cardio) and the one's they had were not all the same..so if I used one I didn't know then I would have to spend a couple of minutes trying to figure it out before I used it (wasn't happy to do that). Also, I always stretch after I work out and there was no "designated" area to work out ...the gym was very, very small and crowded with the machines. I think my biggest complaint was that it was just too small, too cramped. But I didn't go to that gym half as much as I went to the one near me due to the distance and availability of the machines...and I plain just didn't like it ...LOL. The other part of it is you can't be at the gym when there isn't any staff member...They are usually open 12 hrs a day and there might be some open 24/7...I'm not sure...but a member of the staff has to be present...So it's a good thing in a sense for safety reasons...the gym I go to or did go to...you had to use your key thingy to get in and you couldn't let someone go in with you..they had to swipe their key thingy as well...for safety reasons...so I guess it just depends on the clubs policies.

Hope I didn't give you too much info..I just found out a little too late that PF wasn't the right place for me...Everyone is different. :)