Which do you find harder?

Options
I've read in many sources that your diet affects your body shape and composition much more than exercise. The numbers I read most frequently are 80% diet, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics.

Since we can't control our genetics, that leaves diet and exercise.

Do you find it harder to follow a healthy diet or to stick to a regular exercise plan?

Personally, I'd exercise three hours a day if I had the time, and I'd enjoy (mostly) every minute of it! Unfortunately, I'd probably go home and scarf down one of those new (awesome) DiGiorno and cookie combo things and finish it off with a beer or two. I love to exercise, but I also love to eat. Exercise comes easy, healthy eating comes hard. I wish it was 80% exercise and 20% diet instead of vice versa. :smile:

Replies

• delilah122
    Options
    Good question. I'm a vegan who loves to cook and eat and live healthy... I've never smoked, drank or used drugs, other than an occasional toke here and there in college, but I hate to exercise! I find yoga to be beneficial because it doesn't feel like I'm exercising, but even with that, I have to force myself to go most of the time.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I too have seen the 80% diet, but 20% exercise- genetics in there makes sense too. I love food as well- too bad you can sweat your a** off and only burn enough calories for a cookie. I've also seen diet is 80/20 so you don't have to eat perfectly to still see results, just most of the time. It be impossible to stick to if all we could eat was salad and lean protein- says the girl who's been eating her way though a chocolate cake the past few days!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i would say i have a harder time sticking to exercise , not for lack of enjoying it, but mainly through finding time to get it in.
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Great topic! I really love food but I also really like healthy food. I think my biggest challenge is exercising. I'm just not consistent. I can run 10-15 miles per week for three weeks and then fall off the wagon and not do squat for two weeks. Of course the benefit of exercise is that I can eat more. I have to do it first thing in the a.m. or else it won’t get done. Getting up early is a challenge for me, though when I do get up and exercise, I always have a great day!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Exercize in general but depending on the day either can be a struggle.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I've read in many sources that your diet affects your body shape and composition much more than exercise. The numbers I read most frequently are 80% diet, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics.

Since we can't control our genetics, that leaves diet and exercise.

Do you find it harder to follow a healthy diet or to stick to a regular exercise plan?

Personally, I'd exercise three hours a day if I had the time, and I'd enjoy (mostly) every minute of it! Unfortunately, I'd probably go home and scarf down one of those new (awesome) DiGiorno and cookie combo things and finish it off with a beer or two. I love to exercise, but I also love to eat. Exercise comes easy, healthy eating comes hard. I wish it was 80% exercise and 20% diet instead of vice versa. :smile:

this is me. I actually have to make myself not spend as much time in the gym anymore because I don't want to eat that many calories! Not sure what the DiGiorno and cookie combo thing is, but I'll take the cookies everyday!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about food, not about exercise. Weight loss can be achieved without exercise.

I can say that because I have lost weight without exercising. 46 pounds.

Shortly after I started my weight-loss program, I got injured and any exercise was out of question. I continued with eating habits changes that I implemented. Guess what? The scale continued to show lower numbers at the unchanged rate.

Exercise is very important to our health and for this reason alone we should exercise and remain active but we don’t have to exercise to lose weight. In order to lose weight to need to change what we eat.

As to the numbers, I would put them 90% food, 10% exercise.
  • sammy115
    sammy115 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well this post answers my question as to why I am not losing weight. I love exercise and have been working out with a personal trainer but have not been paying as much attention to my diet as I should.

I seem to be able to find the time to exercise but not cook healthily! Must do better...
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    They are both so hard for me! I love food! I can eat so much! and I would rather be sleeping than exercising! I don't know how I have stuck with my healthier eating and exercising for almost a year, I surprise myself! lol
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    If it was 80 exercise I would be a hottie,lol. Food has always been my issue...
  • Debora73
    Debora73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find if I can get into the exercise groove the food habit follows as I lose the taste for sugary fatty things so I guess if I could maintain the exercise habit I would be all set!
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Food is most definitely my biggest problem!
  • ceejay000
    ceejay000 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Both are difficult, but I find it easier to stick to healthy eating habits than any kind of exercise schedule. I don't know why, I love the way I feel after I exercise, but it's just really hard for me to get off my butt and actually do it...

I might be losing weight, but eventually I'll need to hit the gym if I want to look good and fit in my new thinner body.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm really surprised by this, I thought exercise was equally as important as food, if not more.

My sister lost 3 stone last year through exercise alone. She went to the gym for 2 hours a day 6 days a week but didn't alter her eating habits at all. She's not an overeater but she eats exactly what she wants when she wants and doesn't automatically take a healthy option.

My mum is morbidly obese and, although she also doesn't diet and doesn't always opt healthy, she also doesn't overeat. However she is almost totally sedentary and barely even walks for more than 5 minutes at a time.

I find exercise harder. As long as I'm busy I don't need to eat but the gym is a) a challenge to fit in and b) not all that interesting.
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    I would rather exercise my butt off for hours a day than change my eating habits. Finally after 45 pounds lost I am finding food changes that make me not miss my old ways.