Difference in Calories Burned

Options
I went to the gym tonight and entered my weight and age on the elliptical machine I was using. When I was done with my 30 minute workout and 3 minute cool down it said I had burned 399 cals. That seemed reasonable to me. When I came on here to log my exercise it said I had burned almost double that - 721. Why is there such a difference? Both the machine and the website know my weight, age, and how long I worked out. And which one should I use for logging purposes on here?!

Thanks!

Replies

• mrsjcmyles
    mrsjcmyles Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    MFP always gives too many calories. I have a HRM and it is always closer to the machine.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Did the machine have a heart rate monitor?

I've been battling with the calorie differences forever too.
    Can't wait to get a real HRM.
  • ablueskier
    ablueskier Posts: 104
    Options
    I go with the machine.

MFP doesn't know how hard you worked during that time, at what resistance and at what speed.

For 33 minutes on the elliptical with interval resistance of 5&10 and going about 2.5 miles the machine usually tells me I have burned 365.
  • abra526
    abra526 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Does the elliptical machine know your heart rate? If so, I would think it would be more accurate.
  • KhrystyneHutton
    Options
    Definitely the machine!!! In my opinion! Thats crazy that it doubled, but everytime i use eliptical or treadmills MFP isn't far off from what i put. Plus its also better safe than sorry!!
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    MFP goes off a different resistance and level that you probably were not at. I would go with the elliptical machine or an HRM if you have one.
  • TeraMarieD
    Options
    I would go with the lower one; that way you know you are not over eatting.

People say the best way to really know is to get heart rate moniter that calculates it for you.
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Yes it monitored my heart rate - I spent 21 out of the 30 mins in my target heart rate zone. I just can't believe it's that big of a difference in the amount of cals burned between the two! I guess I will go with the machine!
  • hyde1977
    hyde1977 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Just be careful with the machine! Most machines at the gym are about 100-150 calories higher then what you actually burned. I do have a HRM and it gives me my calories....they are always lower and I put my age and weight into the machine.....You can use the My Exercise secion of the exercie tab and add it yourself. Tongiht the Elliptical at the gym told me 745 calories burned and it was only 610 on my HRM......all machines are so different...sometimes it is hard to figure out what is actually going on....hence why I spent the money to get my own HRM.....
  • ACF2
    ACF2 Posts: 51
    Options
    when in doubt go low- that way u can be sure not to overeat- its hard to get skinny but easy to get fat!