Very frustrated

Options
Hi everyone,

I was just hoping someone could maybe give me some insight or just a swift kick in the &$!. I have been stuck at 153-156 lbs for about 3 months now. I still have 18 pounds to lose and I can't seem to stick with my food and exercise routine anymore. When does it really become a life style change? I have worked hard to lose this weight in the past year, but I still tend to see it as a diet,....somewhat temporary. I just can't seem to like eating healthy everyday. I like sweets in a very major way. I try to satisfy the craving with healthy stuff, but I always want more than I should have. I do NOT enjoy exercising. I do it for the sole purpose of losing weight. And I haven't been good with doing that in the last few weeks. I have been so busy that I haven't made it a priority. And now I see Thanksgiving and Christmas coming and feel very overwhelmed with knowing I will have to fight myself tooth and nail to not completely give in to all the sweets.

I'm sorry to whine, but I have been so down on myself that I just don't know what to do. I haven't even really posted much at all because I'm embarrassed because I haven't been vigilant. I have tried to draw experience and motivation from you're posts and encouraging one another.

I hope I don't sound like a complete moron, but I just needed to post this where people will understand. Thanks for listening.

Claire

Replies

• LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I was just hoping someone could maybe give me some insight or just a swift kick in the &$!. I have been stuck at 153-156 lbs for about 3 months now. I still have 18 pounds to lose and I can't seem to stick with my food and exercise routine anymore. When does it really become a life style change? I have worked hard to lose this weight in the past year, but I still tend to see it as a diet,....somewhat temporary. I just can't seem to like eating healthy everyday. I like sweets in a very major way. I try to satisfy the craving with healthy stuff, but I always want more than I should have. I do NOT enjoy exercising. I do it for the sole purpose of losing weight. And I haven't been good with doing that in the last few weeks. I have been so busy that I haven't made it a priority. And now I see Thanksgiving and Christmas coming and feel very overwhelmed with knowing I will have to fight myself tooth and nail to not completely give in to all the sweets.

I'm sorry to whine, but I have been so down on myself that I just don't know what to do. I haven't even really posted much at all because I'm embarrassed because I haven't been vigilant. I have tried to draw experience and motivation from you're posts and encouraging one another.

I hope I don't sound like a complete moron, but I just needed to post this where people will understand. Thanks for listening.

Claire
  • gschwsh
    Options
    Well I've not lost a pound untill just this week finally!!!! and I know why because you have to keep going and going untill finally our thick brain understands that OH!! this is what I have to do and its really not that bad . Its the habit thing! Good luck and don't give up!
  • cerfin
    cerfin Posts: 41
    Options
    I think you look great. 46 lbs gone focus on that. We all have times when we feel discouraged, the feelings will pass and then you will feel better. Keep doing what you are doing and all will be well.:flowerforyou:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    what are your goal settings like? How many calories are you eating?
  • kdzmom
    kdzmom Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You sound so much like I did yesterday. :frown: I was very frustrated that I had hit a plateau for the last month and was really trying to lose a total of 30 pounds by x-mas. I had resigned myself to deciding to just maintain and not worry about trying to lose through the holidays. I did ramp up the water I was drinking :drinker: and made myself go to the gym, but I wasn't hopeful when I stepped on the scale this morning.

What do you know I lost 2 pounds,:bigsmile: to get me to a total of 20 lost! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I was so excited! It is hard to stay on track when you don't see the numbers changing, but keep in mind why you are doing this and look at how far you have come! Also remember it isn't all about the scale. You want to be healthy regardless of the numbers on the scale. Maybe change up your routine for a while, sometimes just drinking more water or doing a different exercise routine can break the plateau.

Also, there is nothing wrong with indulging when you feel the need. I struggle with it too, but because I am like you and am not a huge fan of exercise, I remind myself that if I indulge now, it means that much more exercise to work it off. :grumble:

GOOD LUCK & HANG IN THERE! YOU CAN DO IT!:drinker:
  • LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    what are your goal settings like? How many calories are you eating?

I had my goals set at losing 1.5lb/week which meant I could have 1200 cal/day + exercise calories. I recently changed the goals to lose 1lb/week and that upped my calories to 1420/day. This definitely helps, but I guess I tend to see eating sweets like smoking. If I start eating any of the sweets I really love, then I won't be able to stop. And I do understand this because I smoked for 15 years and quit smoking 5 1/2 years ago. I know how hard it is. I am able to stay within these calories if I stick with my eating routine. If I exercise, I will bulk up my meals with veggies and some whole grain bread, which is one thing I miss. But, even if I stick within these calories and don't exercise, I haven't lost any weight since August. These last few weeks though, because of my frustration, I have not stayed within my calories. When I see the scale going up, I will be good for a few days and it will come back down. I just want that motivation back that I had. I keep telling myself it will come, but I don't want it to be when I have gained back 10lbs, or god help me, more.

I did try switching up my exercise and did some pilates, but because I have a weird tailbone, I couldn't do it. I am going to try another one and see if there are any different routines. I am working on getting an elliptical machine soon, but as of right now, I have my treadmill which has gotten really boring. And it's too cold and snowy for me to go outside.

I'm sure I can come up with all kinds of excuses. This was not how I used to be just a couple of months ago. I thought having my husband be my accountability partner would help, but that was a huge mistake. It just ticked me off whenever he would ask.

Thanks for your support!!
  • jjett822
    Options
    DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!
    You have worked so hard to get to the point where you are now. Don't let it be for nothing.
    Take your scale, and hide it throughout the holidays. Bring it out the first Monday after New Year's.
    Look deep within yourself, and ask "what is my true goal??"
    If you want to continue to lose weight and feel better about yourself - stay on track. We ALL get discouraged, and want to throw in the towel, but know it's better for us to stay focused.

Now you hate to work out: there has got to be one thing you enjoy doing? kickboxing? running, eliptical? skipping? jumprope? If you are sick of the gym, why don't you try a fun workout dvd?? There are so many ways you can change up your routine, especially now with the Holidays here. Do you lift weights? Did you know that lifting weights will continue to burn calories throughout the day??

As for your sweet tooth, we all have one. May I make a few suggestions???
    -sugarfree jello- with fat free/light coolwhip
    -weight watchers (desserts)
    -sugar free pudding with fat free/light coolwhip
    -skinny cows (sandwich) with coolwhip/(icecreams)
    -Swiss Miss diet hot cocoa

During the holidays, try to watch what desserts you have, some have major calories and fat. Have just a sliver, if you don't think you can have a small piece, don't have any. (Sometimes I go back for more:grumble: ). It's just not satisfying enough.
    Honestly, I love to have the skinny cow sandwich (chocolate) with coolwhip and sprinke of nuts. That will satisfy me, and I won't look at anything else. (That's about 180 ish calories, and you also get protein and fiber!!!:smile::laugh: :tongue: )

I hope I encouraged you not to give up!!!!!!!
    Take care and good luck!!!!!
  • Brynn
    Brynn Posts: 7
    Options
    One warning about the Weight Watchers desserts- if you have a binging problem don't try them! I I LOVE their lemon cake desserts and find it verrryyy easy to eat a whole box of them in one sitting...
  • liveagain
    liveagain Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Claire

I don't have too much advice for you right now...(I don't like giving out bad advice) but one encouragement for me to exercise is that it gives me more calories which, in turn, means I get to eat more or I can have that extra peice of chocolate:bigsmile: . I've also found that not buying the sweets in the first place helps. I had trouble in the beginning (and still sometimes since my roommates keep the panty stocked with sweets) with eating them constantly but then I stopped buying them. I missed them for the first 2 weeks or so but now I don't crave them that much. When a craving does comes up I don't resist, but I don't over-do it either. Moderation is is a key philosophy! :drinker:

And DON'T GIVE UP!!!!