Why am I losing weight??

Hsanders3961
Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
Ok, so I have been on MFP for about 3 months now, and in the past 2-3 weeks, I have sort of (really) slacked off. I havent been working out as much--around 3-4 times a week (I was working out around 5-6 days a week). Workouts usually consist of either JM Ripped in 30, elliptical or walking. My diet has also not been great at all. I have been in the red almost every day (I am on a 1200 cal diet, and have been consuming around 1300-1500 lately). BUT--I have lost more weight in the last 2-3 weeks than I usually would. I used to average around .8 lb loss a week, but just in the last week I have lost over 2 lbs. And that is a pretty big loss for me, compared to usual.

So I am confused...why am I losing weight since I havent really been giving it my all?

Do you think I wasn't bringing in enough calories on just 1200/day? And that my body was clinging on to them, but now that I have upped my calorie intake, I am losing faster?

Or do you think that I am losing muscle mass since I havent worked out much? Can you even lose muscle mass that quickly? (I have not worked out in the last 4 days)

Or is it something else entirely?

I'd love to hear anyone's advice, experience, or success stories!

***And just as a fair warning, my food diary, lately, is not real pretty--and I am fully aware of that. I have sort of lost motivation lately for some reason and I am really trying to find it again!***

Replies

• n0pants3ver
    n0pants3ver Posts: 175
    Your body was probably holding on to the fat and now you're fueling yourself better. Another thing is changing your calories up can make you lose weight. Your body gets used to a certain routine. Same exercise, same calories. Now you switched it up your metabolism got confused and started burning more! You should always switch things up so your body gets "confused"

Congrats on your loss!
  • Your body was probably holding on to the fat and now you're fueling yourself better. Another thing is changing your calories up can make you lose weight. Your body gets used to a certain routine. Same exercise, same calories. Now you switched it up your metabolism got confused and started burning more! You should always switch things up so your body gets "confused"

Congrats on your loss!

Yep! You probably weren't eating enough and now that you are, your metabolism is increasing. As far as losing muscle I doubt that's the case in only a few weeks since you are still working out. Do your clothes fit any different?
  • corinnak
    corinnak Posts: 51 Member
    Sometimes I think I'm on a 2 week delay. Not that there's any scientific basis for that, but it seems like things catch up to me in about 2 weeks. If I'm doing great work, it's 2 weeks before I see the loss. If I'm slacking off, it's 2 weeks before I pay the price.

More likely is that you've found a sweet spot where your body is happy to let the weight go!
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Your body was probably holding on to the fat and now you're fueling yourself better. Another thing is changing your calories up can make you lose weight. Your body gets used to a certain routine. Same exercise, same calories. Now you switched it up your metabolism got confused and started burning more! You should always switch things up so your body gets "confused"

Congrats on your loss!

Yep! You probably weren't eating enough and now that you are, your metabolism is increasing. As far as losing muscle I doubt that's the case in only a few weeks since you are still working out. Do your clothes fit any different?

My clothes are getting much looser. I would love to be able to up my calorie intake goal! Maybe to 1400 or so... So I think I might stick with eating a little over for another week or so and see if I keep on losing. If I do, then I will up my actual goal and go from there, then if I plateau, I can drop it back down. Thanks for the help ladies!

And corinnak--I hope that is not what my problem is, LOL. I guess we will find out in a couple weeks! :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    I think you werent eating enough and now that you were your body was able to let go.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    I'm wondering if I should eat more. :D
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member

yes
  • Probably 1200 cal was too little for you. I started with that amount but started feeling dizzy so I increased my cal and I lose the same Amt.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member

yes
This discussion has been closed.