Workout Tips

Options
Hi, I usually do about an hour of cardio a day, either walking, running, spinning, cycling, or using the elliptical. But...

I recently developed pretty bad tendonitis in my achilles heel. My doctor is telling me to lay off the cardio exercises I usually do.

Does anyone have some ideas on how to get a decent workout just using the upper body?

Thanks!

Replies

• naturechyld
    Options
    Punching
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    chin-ups, pull-ups
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    chin-ups, pull-ups
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Swimming!
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    Punching

Just make sure you're punching air. :smile:

Some shadow boxing is good. Just go easy on the punches and don't throw your hip into it because if you throw your hip into the punch then your foot will follow and you'll put more pressure on the achilles.

The best type to do is the speedbag workout because you'll just use the arms and won't have to use any other part of your body.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    If u have a game system or know someone who does, Just Dance for the Wii has some FANTASTIC moves for the upperbody...you r supposed to jump around with it too, but I live on the 2nd floor and it upsets my neighbors when I really get into it! I played tonight for 20 minutes and I'm still aching:bigsmile: Kinect for the XBOX is awesome too! I know playstation has something that is similar as well. Most libraries have games u can check out for a couple of days, and in my city where I live, bars now carry these game systems...not only is it a great way to hang out with friends, but it is MAD funny watching drunk people try to dance!:drinker:
  • ent812
    ent812 Posts: 4
    Options
    Depending on how your foot can handle pressure, how about a kettle ball workout? Find a knowledgeable trainer or friend and start with a short workout of only a few moves and see how it goes. Good efficient workout.
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    If you decide to do any boxing or punching, try adding weighted gloves for more intensity.
  • sweetage123
    sweetage123 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My gym has machines specifically made for people with lower body injuries, or in a wheelchair, in order to get cardio on the upper body alone. They're called ergometers. You could ask the trainers at your gym if they have one of these machines, or what options they have for disabled people. (I understand that you're not actually disabled, but often gyms find ways to cater to people that are, and this could be beneficial to you with your injury) If they don't have one of these machines, it might not be a bad idea to suggest they get one, as it would make the gym more accessible overall.

This is a link to a photo I found of one.

http://www.treadmillscentral.com/images/491.jpg
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Swimming! Fantastic workout, you can vary it by adding swim fins and a kick board for a great leg work out, or stick a pull buoy between your knees or ankles and you have got yourself a tough upper body workout. At the same time you are giving your yourself a great cardio workout.

Other options might include medicine ball slams, kettlebell swings...just don't push to hard and look after your injury.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Circuit training!
  • Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Lots of good ideas.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    punching, but sink down into a bit of a squat while you do it, that way you will work your legs some with out aggravating you foot!