Tell me honestly, is this a realistic goal?

Options
I was hoping to be down to my pre-pregnancy weight by my, and my boyfriends anniversary (our 7th!) in Jan.

To do that, I need to lose 60-70 pounds. There is 37 weeks exactly between today and Jan. 10th. (our anniv.)
Is that a realistic goal?

If I lost 2lbs/wk until 1/10/12 that would be a weight loss of 74 pounds. Obviously a 60 pound loss would be easier. But does either of these sound realistic?

Yay or nay?!

Replies

• Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Sounds realistic to me!
  • pepperann44
    Options
    I think it sounds realistic! I'm also trying to lose 60 lbs by Jan '12. GOODLUCK!
  • MoNiKa2113
    Options
    that sounds like a great goal :)
    good luck!
  • SoFLYFireman
    SoFLYFireman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    if you can go that long without cheating, its very realistic, just please be really careful and switch it up a lot..

Good luck!
  • brianpride
    brianpride Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It will take dedication but that's realistic. Go for it!
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i think so.
  • Sarahmami
    Sarahmami Posts: 18
    Options
    Sure does! Good luck!!!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I don't want to be the naysayer.... but.... I think there are a couple factors that we'd need to consider before weighing in (pun intended!).

Like:
    - How long ago was this pre-pregnancy weight?
    - Is that weight actually realistic for your current age and situation?
    - What is your activity (then vs now)?
    - What barriers are there between now and then that might sway you?
    - How successful have you been in the past with that sustained effort?

So - 2 lbs a week is very reasonable, overall. But it requires a lot of time, dedication, and make sure the goal is actually reasonable itself (meaning that weight makes sense for you).

Best of luck to you!
    D.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    It sounds pretty realistic! However, from my experience, after a month or so it seems like weight comes off a little slower. If you are super dedicated and work your butt off I'm sure you can do it though!! Good luck! :D
  • Aetarac
    Aetarac Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    It can be done just have to be dedicated to it. would be good to set up mini goals to keep self on track.
  • jossnaron
    Options
    I think you can totally do it! And this website app makes it easy to keep track and stay motivated! I'm on the same weight loss journey! Best of luck!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    it SOUNDS realistic. just keep in mind that as your weight gets lower and lower, it becomes harder and harder to drop the pounds. not to be a Debbie Downer all over you - people have definitely lost more weight than that in much smaller time frames!! - i just want to suggest that you go ahead and set the goal with the intention of not hating yourself if you can't meet it.

and please PLEASE, just try to do it as healthily as you can - i could drop 3 or 4 lbs a week in a very dangerous fashion if i wanted to catch up to the schedule i've fallen behind on. the temptation is present for most of us. but resist!
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Losing one pound a week is more realistic--at least it was for me. Within 37 weeks, you will have lost about 37 lbs, maybe even 40-45. That is a really good weight to celebrate on 1/10/12. Healthy eating is a lifelong process. We did not gain our weight in 9 months, so it might take longer than that to lose the entire 60-70 lbs.
    My suggestion: Take it one day at a time, celebrate each lb lost, measure yourself at the beginning and celebrate inches lost when the weight stays the same for a few weeks. We all go thru that stasis, but it passes and has occurred because the wonderful toned body we are getting has muscles, which, cubic inch for cubic inch, weight more than fat, but fit into less space. Go muscles!!!! ;) Muscles also use more calories, so they help us continue our weight loss.
    Have fun with this! :drinker: (lots of water!)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs a month for almost a year so depending on
    your start weight and dedication i think it could be a reasonable
    goal.

Good luck.
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    it SOUNDS realistic. just keep in mind that as your weight gets lower and lower, it becomes harder and harder to drop the pounds. not to be a Debbie Downer all over you - people have definitely lost more weight than that in much smaller time frames!! - i just want to suggest that you go ahead and set the goal with the intention of not hating yourself if you can't meet it.

and please PLEASE, just try to do it as healthily as you can - i could drop 3 or 4 lbs a week in a very dangerous fashion if i wanted to catch up to the schedule i've fallen behind on. the temptation is present for most of us. but resist!

I would *LOVE* to be down 70 pounds by Jan. but if i work as hard as i can and it still doesnt happen- then that is life! my back up goal is to *AT LEAST* get into the "one-derland" by Jan. and I think that goal is more then reasonable! :-)
  • color_me_skinny
    Options
    Losing one pound a week is more realistic--at least it was for me. Within 37 weeks, you will have lost about 37 lbs, maybe even 40-45. That is a really good weight to celebrate on 1/10/12. Healthy eating is a lifelong process. We did not gain our weight in 9 months, so it might take longer than that to lose the entire 60-70 lbs.
    My suggestion: Take it one day at a time, celebrate each lb lost, measure yourself at the beginning and celebrate inches lost when the weight stays the same for a few weeks. We all go thru that stasis, but it passes and has occurred because the wonderful toned body we are getting has muscles, which, cubic inch for cubic inch, weight more than fat, but fit into less space. Go muscles!!!! ;) Muscles also use more calories, so they help us continue our weight loss.
    Have fun with this! :drinker: (lots of water!)
    I did, actually gain 80 pounds in my 9 months of pregncy! :-) but i know what you mean, it takes time! I understand! :-)
  • maxxmore
    maxxmore Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is realistic but you have to be very discipline in food and working out! You dont want to to put too much pressure on yourself. So take it one day and one pound at a time. Focus on being healthy and the weight will fall off.
  • welcominganewself
    Options
    It sounds like a realistic goal to me, will definitely take some will power, but I KNOW you can do it!!!
  • ruhimaach
    ruhimaach Posts: 171
    Options
    Sounds realistic, but it doesn't give you any leeway to take some time off or get off course, which is good in a way. I was aiming for 2 lbs/week when I started off a month back as well...However, I am losing more like 1.2-1.5 lbs/week, since I'm pretty short and only get 1200 calories a day. I also don't have a lot to lose (around 25 lbs). So, since you have about 60-70 to lose, I think the weight should come off faster, at least initially! Good luck! :)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    possible with serious dedication. remember the lower your weight gets the harder it will be to burn those calories and drop the weight.