Weight vs Inches

Options
How are you measuring your progress? Is the actually amount of weight loss more important or the inches lost and how you look and feel in your clothes more important and why? Just curious that's all. Thanks!

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I use both weight and inches but I lean more towards my progress as a measure of inches and how I feel/look.
  • Nakisha81
    Nakisha81 Posts: 24
    Options
    I go by my weight. However, I do notice that I've lost inches due to how my clothing fit. I feel great and I can't wait until I reach my goal weight.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Weight is a meaningless number. Inches are much more meaningful.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    *points at ticker*

The most important measurement isn't in my ticker though... that's body fat percent. Whatever my measurements or weight, I'll be happy to be under 24% bodyfat and on maintenance under 21% bodyfat.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Personally I was not seeing it in inches so I went by the actual weight. I also do not think I was measuring correctly....
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am measuring inches, as I don't own any scales, so I only weigh myself when we are staying at my parents.
  • mlrtym44
    mlrtym44 Posts: 3
    Options
    i would think the best way actually is body fat. then you can see both weight lose and muscle gain.
  • RozzyPooh
    RozzyPooh Posts: 10
    Options
    I like inches. I don't really care about weight.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I used to care more about weight, but recently I've been more concerned with inches and overall how I look. I've been stuck at the same weight for several weeks now, but I've been seeing a lot of progress in my body and how it looks, I look a lot more lean and toned, which is what i wanted in the first place. So I've in essence stopped caring about the number on the scale, in fact I haven't weighed myself in 2 weeks or so and I'm going by how I look and feel. I'm still tracking my calories and exercise, but I'm starting to accept I might never reach my exact original goal weight and I'm OK with that. So in summary, I think inches or body fat is probably a better overall measure than just a number on the scale that can vary so much on a number of factors.
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Weight,
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I rely on inches much more than weight. Even though I weigh myself daily I don't trip if the numbers fluctuate because these days my clothes are fitting much more loosely (today I'm wearing a pair of pants that sat in the closet for the last 2 years because they were too tight, and they're actually baggy in the waist) and I have a hard time gripping my love handles because they're starting to disappear. This tells me I'm on the right track.
  • MadisonsMom2009
    MadisonsMom2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I like so many have a "goal" weight but I would rather be 200 pounds of muscle and no fat than say 110 pounds. For me its all about how I look and feel in the end!

Great Question!
  • chango69
    chango69 Posts: 39
    Options
    OK, for me it all about the cloths I am 5'5" and wearing a XXL does not look good on my size nor does get a 44 waist when your inseam is 30 not good. Now that I am in an L shirt and a 38 waist, you do wonder how much have you lose, so I say cloths should be your guide. Yes, I was wearing those sizes.

If you do not feel good on what you are wearing, you will never feel good about yourself
  • DizsJourney
    DizsJourney Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    In the past it was all about the number on the scale. This time im doing things differently. I do weigh regularly, but i also have a co-worker measure me once a week. Ive been doing it for almost a month and when my weight loss stalls, i can see im losing in inches. So i use both to help keep me encouraged.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I also do both. I still say I want to lose more weight but I am very happy with the way my clothes are fitting. Thanks for your responses! Keep fighting!
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    For me, it's:

image in the mirror > body fat % > inches > weight
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I started out really focusing on weight loss and now that i am closing in on my goal i am
    concentrating more on inches.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<My profile pics from January (left) and April (right).

I have only lost about 25 pounds, but I have lost major inches.
  • raven1114
    raven1114 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i use both to gauge progress.
  • rebelontherun
    rebelontherun Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I go by body fat % and weight, only because I have no way to measure inches, but inches are my favorite way to measure weight loss :)