zumba calories

Options
So today I took my first class of Zumba it was really fun super up pace, and something I would definiatly do again.

BUT!!! MFP doesnt tell me how many calories I burned! I looked around the internet and they said its somewhere between 400-700 calories a hour

So the question is: what catogory should I put it under for my exercise.

I was thinking high aerobics

any ideas??!!!

Replies

• ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I created my own exercise based off my heart monitor.
  • carolyns31
    Options
    I would say moderate dance .
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i put zumba in and i do 10 calories per minute personally. i sweat buckets so that what i put personally.
  • tonlynn
    tonlynn Posts: 23
    Options
    I created a zumba exercise and used the internet to assume 534 calories per hour based on my weight. now it will calculate it if I go longer or shorter.
  • lydiarj
    lydiarj Posts: 4
    Options
    oHi I think it counts as cardio even though it's like aerobics well I have it as cardio they told me at the gym it burns 700 calories 60 minutes it's fun I did it once and it's fun time passses by quickly
  • spaztastic13
    Options
    I have zumba for the wii and i just log it under dancing general untill i get a HRM!!!!!
  • heyitsmegxx
    heyitsmegxx Posts: 444
    Options
    I loveeee Zumba! My instructor told me that we burn between 800-1000 calories an hour.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I created my own exercise based off my heart monitor.

this is what i did as well.

I burn approx 600 calories in 1 hour.
  • vfrosch
    vfrosch Posts: 2
    Options
    I just took a Zumba class for the first time last night. I wore my heart rate monitor and burned about 430 calories over 55 minutes. My girlfriend wore her heart rate monitor too and she burned over 700 calories during that exact same class! The difference? We are 2 different sizes (I am very petite at 4'11" and she is taller than me - I think about 5'5"). The smaller you are the less calories you burn and vice versa. If you want a more accurate representation of how much you're burning I'd recommend a heart rate monitor - they are pretty handy! Hope that helps.:smile:
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Create excersize and use a heart rate monitor. It's the most accurate. I usually burn 700-900 cals per class.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My HRM only gives me about 450 cal's for a 50 min class. I feel like I work A LOT harder than that. Hopefully once I get more of the hang of things, I'll be able to work a little harder.
  • becca_raine
    Options
    i put it under Dancing, general. :)
  • Deijeines
    Deijeines Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice guys! I definiatly have to get a heart rate monitor to get the most accurate amount!!
    I appriciate it
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I've heard you can burn up to 700 for an hour but I dont think I burn that many. I lower mine to 500 but I'm not really sure
  • Jill_Clemmons
    Options
    At the YMCA I go to, there are 2 different Zumba classes -- one for people who are used to exercising, and a "Zumba lite" for people that are just getting into exercise and dance. I would think that Zumba classes vary in calories burnt according to the routine they use. Your Zumba instructor might be able to give you a good estimate.
  • justin_time
    Options
    try taking a look at http://www.zumbacalories.com enter your weight, workout duration & intensity & it calculates your calories based on average metabolic rates
  • nk13559
    Options
    :smooched: http://www.zumbacalories.com
    Not sure how reliable it is.
  • minxlinx
    minxlinx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just came home from a 1 hour Zumba class and my HRM read 913 calories burned. That's about average for, between 900 and 950 calories for a 1 hour class.