what about the days you don't work out?

lifesabeach2629
lifesabeach2629 Posts: 28
edited September 26 in Health and Weight Loss
sooo hey guys, i'm pretty new to this site and i have a question - for the 1 or 2 days a week that i don't get to exercise (and therefore not "earning" back any calories), do i HAVE to stay at/under 1200 cals? that seems pretty low...is it really that strict, or can you build days into your schedule where you kinda take it easy and ur allowed a little more calories than normal? thanks

Replies

• Caddy715
    Caddy715 Posts: 2
    from my experience you can eat as normal. I wouldn't splurge or have free days. Those turn into wasted days. Why work hard to throw it all away?
  • It's best to have a couple days off during the week. You need to have time for your body to recover from working out. You should eat normally, but don't over do it.
  • paced2day
    paced2day Posts: 55
    I think its really that strict, in a good way. But I think its kind of hard for the body (making you feel more hungry) because its trying to gather energy for the workout its anticipating when you're a regular. I like hot drinks when the hunger pains come. Good luck.
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    well you don't HAVE to do anything :tongue: but yea, you are supposed to stay at the 1200 whether you exercise or not. There are people who don't exercise regularly at all but still stay under their calorie count every day. Personally, I don't know how, but I combat it by working out every day. Good luck :smile:
  • The goals you enter are net goals. So if you wor out, you raise the cals you may eat. Maybe I misunderstood you, but staying at 1200 is much harder, and acutally "lower", on the days you work out. On days you don't work out, it's actually easier to stay below 1200.
    Btw.: 1200 is considered the absolute lower limit for a healthy diet, for a woman. I wouldn't try keeping it under 1200.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    I wouldn't ever keep your diet under 1200. You can go higher and have great results :smile:
  • AlexandraR2011
    AlexandraR2011 Posts: 114 Member
    I stay between 1200-1500, relatively normal range for losing still :)
  • tashacrazy
    tashacrazy Posts: 1 Member
    A pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you cut out 3500 calories per week (either by cutting back on calorie intake or by burning them during a workout) then you lose a pound a week. It's mathematical. If I'm 500 calories under my limit today, but eat 500 calories too much tomorrow, then the net outcome is zero for those 2 days, and no weight is lost. Of course, working out is good regardless because it increases your muscle mass which increases your metabolism (the amount of calories you burn while resting). But basically, the amount to which you have to be strict on yourself is only determined by how rapidly you're trying to lose the weight. Every day matters, but slow and steady wins the race :)
  • yeeah i just meant like if u don't "earn" back any calories on a given day b/c you don't have time to work out, you simply just can't eat more than 1200 cals that day? (and by the way, i totally get that going under 1200 is bad b/c u won't get adequate nutrition)
  • oh i got you, tashacrazy. hm well i guess u could go over by a couple hundred cals on your non-exercise days, as long as u "make up for it" the next day by going a little bit under your caloric set point
  • Sadie98072
    Sadie98072 Posts: 212 Member
    On the days that I dont work out, I try not to go too far over my minimum calories (1250). If Im having a hungry day I just try to make sure that the bulk of my foods are vegetable/legume based because you get more quantity for the calories.
    I dont have "free" days or meals, but I dont stress too much when I eat out because its rare that I go out for a meal and I want to enjoy the meal rather than think about the calories.
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    I try to stay between 1200 - 1400 every day. I do go on the high end on most workout days and I've been consistently losing the weight. Your body is different from mine and everyone else - you need to play with it and see what works for you. But what I've been told and read - have a calorie range and just try to fall within the range - change it up to confuse the body. Being too consistent can sabotage you as your body will view it as a norm and may make weight loss harder.

Good Luck!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Days I do not workout out are hard for me, I eat more fats those days and less carbs, and we all know fats are way more calories which means less food for me *sigh* I keep myself as busy as possible on those day
This discussion has been closed.