trying something different

Options
Hi! I found this app on my phone and used it for like a day and then decided to see how it really worked and I love it so far. I'm trying to lose 100 pounds before my boyfriend comes home in October, he is currently a marine stationed in Afganistan, and I really want to lose as much weight as possible. I always start strong and then I die down I really need to learn how to stay motivated or a weightloss buddy lol. I have been eating healthy for the pass 2 days and working out for 3hrs before work. I'm just having trouble with kicking late night hunger and cravings. I sit at work all day from 12p to 9p so when I get home I can't sleep and I feel so hungery since my dinner is at 4p when I'm at work. Any advise? I appreciate it :)

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend. As far as the work situation--can you bring some healthy portable snacks with you to work? (fresh fruit, veggies, granola/protein bars, almonds, etc)? That's a long time to go without eating, and it sounds like you're working out pretty hard in the AM!
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Good luck..maybe a bowl of oats or GOOD cereal when you get home to fill you up before bed..It is hard to wind down after work..bit hard really or maybe the cereal for dinner??
    All the very best:smile:
    PS this is a great site for support:smile:
  • sheisbrown
    sheisbrown Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Sounds like you are on your way. Stick with it! Know that you can do it. If possible, try to move around during the day when you are at work. Go on a walk on your break if its nice or just get up and move around. Even if you fall off the wagon every now and then resolve to get back on track. Eat little snacks throughout the day if you can. I always think its ok to just eat if you feel hungry but I always practice a little portion control. I also try to eat a lot of veggies and fruits- anytime I can get em in. I also give myself treats every now and then too- just so I don't binge on some chocolate or something. Its hard isn't it- but thats ok. You can do it. I like this site too. I helps me be conscious of what I eat and is very motivating. Do you exercise at all? Do you have any friends or family that will be supportive and help you stay on track? That helps too.

Good luck!
    -Rhashida
  • inertiadriftsc
    Options
    Cut down on your caffeine intake if it is high. Try over the next few weeks to cut out soda completely. This should help you sleep.
    If possible try to pack a dinner for work and eat a little bit later, even if it has to be at your desk. If that isn't an option, prepare a light snack of something like raw veggies (with a light dressing or no dressing) to eat when you get home. After this snack don't let yourself stay up to the point of being hungry again.

My biggest advice is be honest and consistent with your diary. Don't shame yourself when you go over, accept it, find where you made mistakes and then make corrections. Also, try to eat your exercise calories! (this is actually really hard for me a lot of days) Your food diary is your best friend in this journey and if you use it you can change your lifestyle forever!

Good Luck! The community on this site is awesome and Ive had nothing but success with the system and it's given me a way to live a healthier life.
  • Spayrroe
    Spayrroe Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Ah, another military SO. I feel you! My goal is to be able to wear the jeans I wore on our first date when he gets back in September. I've got about 50 lbs to go. Good luck to you!
  • donthatethesexyme
    Options
    you can add me too...i work a silly late scedule too. i make my last meal not past 7....im still at work for 3 hrs... then im up a while after i get home so thats still enough time before i actually lay down...i just kinda adjusted my eating scedulke tto seem more like a normal day..if that makes sense??? yu can give it a try.if not maybe just a small helthy snack like granola or yogurt??? not to heavy ...and as long as you dont go over your cals you should be ok...good luck
  • browneyes1022
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice I'm going to try it out and see what works best!
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i saw your post on a different thread. unless you are over 400 pounds (and your picture doesnt seem that way), it's not realistic to lose that much weight in 5 months and you're only going to be disappointed in yourself for setting that goal. that said, i think it's great that you have set high goals for yourself and i really do believe that if you aim big you will always go way further than a 'conservative estimate'
    so i'll get off my soapbox.

if you're having hunger problems, you need fiber and you need protein. start evaluating the foods you eat for these ingredients. i set myself up with meals full of protein and low calorie counts so i can go for hours without cravings. i suffer from them too sometimes but it's rarer now that i monitor protein.

for example:
    i eat oatmeal with a protein powder (14g) for breakfast. oatmeal in itself is filling, the protein powder helps a lot.
    for lunch i have a lentil soup that is 12g of protein.
    if i feel hungry i get a scoop of protein powder and make a shake. for 100 calories i'm very satisfied and craving-free. sometimes i freeze it and it's like ultra-protein ice cream. that's low cal!

the old adage about 'whole foods' filling you more is totally true. broccoli (30 cals/cup) can fill you up great. you can eat an entire cucumber for 20 calories. a handful of skittles that will have you hungry afterwards and has 100 calories.
    whatever you do don't get the 100 calorie snack packs. those always make me hungrier than i was before :)

try to find the foods that fill you up for the lowest calorie. you'll figure it out after awhile.
    also, try to keep track of what makes you hungry. for me, if i have bread i will want to eat an entire city later. sometimes i feel the same when i have candy. without gluten i dont have any of those cravings.

monitor yourself and keep track :) you'll do great!
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I agree with everyone else :) Just stay consistent :)
  • RLSKLS30
    RLSKLS30 Posts: 2
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I agree with everyone else :) Just stay consistent :)
    Hey I just joined tonight! Im offically starting tomorrow. MY goal is 30lbs and thats my biggest problem is being consistent! Got any tips!?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome along, this is a great site/app to get you motivated to eat healthy and be healthy.

As a previous poster has said, you have set yourself a big (and probably unrealistic goal). Have you thought of smaller/shorter goals which are more acheivable and more likely to give you a sense of acheivement and make you want to keep going?

And, doing 3 hours exercise every day is not necessary to lose weight - if you're doing because you love it and it fits into your lifestyle, that's great (as long as you are eating enough to fuel your body for this kind of marathon). If you are doing it because you want to lose weight and lose it NOW, then you might just burn out really soon.

Well done for making a great resolution, now make sure you have a realistic plan of eating well and exercising that you will be able to keep going with and not get really sick of, really soon.
    Good luck!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    To RL, welcome aboard to you too!
    My best suggestion for being consistent is to be realistic about the changes you can make, and what you can continue to do.

Don't feel that you have to cut your calories immediately to 1200 and exercise for hours every day. Almost everyone who is overweight is going to be eating way more than this, so cutting down on anything unhealthy in your diet (soft drink/soda for example) can make a massive difference in your calorie intake.

My experience is that the bigger and more difficult the change, the less likely I am to keep it up.
    And that I need to remember that one day of crummy eating is not a good reason to give up!
  • MaryAnne0210
    MaryAnne0210 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I feel your situation - my hubby is due back from almost 7 months on float - he's been to Afghanistan, Iraq, and lots of other places during the last 10 years.

I've been trying to lose weight for a while and had lost an add'l 30 lbs two years ago but gained it all back last year. I wanted to lose at least 50 lbs during this deployment, but issues at work and just being lonely didn't help. However, just before Christmas I changed jobs, started to get some motivation, Lent came and the month prior I decided to give up sugar (refined sugar and high fructose corn syrup - you know... all the things that we crave). However, I didn't give up ALL sugars - if it was natural I was okay: fruit, honey, agave nectar or even organic can sugar - but the syrups I used in moderation. Over Lent I managed to lose about 13 lbs - not a huge feat, but for not really working that hard at it, except having to find things that were sugar free. I ate tortillas or pita bread vice regular bread. I found Eskimo Pie makes a sugar-free treat. Bolthouse makes yogurt dressings that use apple cider for sweetner (I'm a Southerner and LOVE coleslaw - they have a coleslaw dressing sugar-free). See's candy makes a Sugar-free Peanut Brittle (eat in moderation). There was nothing fat-free in all this. I try not to use artificial sweetners by choice - just don't really like them on top of not wanting all those chemicals.

Lent it over and I've allowed myself some sugary treats, but thanks to MFP and being able to see how much sugar intake I'm getting I don't feel guilty at all!

Good luck with your goals!!!
  • browneyes1022
    Options
    Yes my goal is 130 but I know its not healthy for my body to lose that much in 5 months but I am trying to get as close to it as possible no offense but I really don't need to hear that its not possible to do in 5 months cuz I already know that its just a goal weight but thanks for the advice I do appreciate it!