Weight loss when your disabled

Options
I have some physical limitations and was wondering if anyone else does and what you would do to exercise without too much pain.I dont take any pain meds,so its harder to push through it.Ill take advil if I am really hurting.Im just wondering of anything other then walking?

Replies

• krystleRD
    krystleRD Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have some physical limitations and was wondering if anyone else does and what you would do to exercise without too much pain.I dont take any pain meds,so its harder to push through it.Ill take advil if I am really hurting.Im just wondering of anything other then walking?

If you dont mind where is your pain?
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I've heard that swimming and walking in water can both be good rehab-type exercises.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was in a car wreck 3.5yrs ago, flipped car 4x, seatbelt buckle went straight into hip...I have trouble with to much activity, and try to avoid pain meds if I can... I dance around to music, jog in place a minute or two at a time, cleaning burns calories, sit ups while laying in bed right b4 bed, going to gym for 10minutes or 20minutes a time once a week doing bicycle and eliptical, uhm.... all sorts of lil things u can do to increase activity. I usually burn 100cal a day, sometimes more, sometimes less, but any activity is better than none. I've lost 24lbs with pretty much diet alone in 7weeks
  • nudqt
    nudqt Posts: 98
    Options
    You are doing a good job...and yes, I too have some limitations....I had double knee replacements in the the past 2 years, and still have osteo arthritis....but I find water aerobics for a 30-45 mins at a time do a good job to build and maintain flexibility....and it is fun, without killing you.
  • xlacijeanx
    xlacijeanx Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm disabled, but different disabilities will limit the type of exercises that will be less painful and unless we know what kind of disability you have we can't really help much unfortunately. With mine I can usually push through the pain, but I have days where I cant do any exercise whatsoever, where as say a person with a bad knee or back type disability can do swimming/ water aerobics. It's very low impact, but builds the muscles up for sure.
  • kparks770
    kparks770 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Well all over to be honest.I have injuries from the military neck,back,hips,and down.On top of that I have fibromyalgia and constant muscle spasms,mostly at night.I have done some walking lately and some swimming in the past but I have no pool or area to swim.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options

It entirely depends on your personal limitations. If in doubt, speak to your doctor or another medical professional who knows your case.
  • kparks770
    Options
  • med0404
    med0404 Posts: 4
    Options
    Exercise is only a part of the equation. I have read that exercise attributes to 20% of weight loss, the other 80% is what you eat. Are you keeping a food journal?
  • kparks770
    Options
    sure am had a little mess up last night with stress eating.We had Tornados and bad storms down here in the south so pretty scary...So chocolate was some comfort last night lol Its hard to not overeat or not eat jumk sometimes.Most of the time I can eat good.Thanks for telling me that I had no clue.
  • VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options

It entirely depends on your personal limitations. If in doubt, speak to your doctor or another medical professional who knows your case.

Excellent advice!