Hint: Lettuce!

Options
sunnyk8
sunnyk8 Posts: 125 Member
I know personally that when I used to think of lettuce, I thought "blah" or "yuck". It was really hard to get me to eat a salad.

But now, I have found that it can be a GREAT substitute for some high calorie foods that we use in a lot of meals.

Example: If I want a black bean and cheese burrito, I have to take a 200 calorie hit on the tortilla alone. Add in the beans and cheese (and any other ingredients), and the count goes up FAST. BUT, if you turn it into a lettuce wrap instead, and put the beans and cheese in, say, a leaf of romaine lettuce... you still get a similar meal but with a lot less calories. And it's actually very filling and fresh tasting. I love it! (Btw, two outer leaves of romaine lettuce... 10 calories!)

I also do it with turkey sandwiches because slices of bread are such a calorie hit. Tomorrow, I'm going to have turkey, cheese, and a tablespoon of light sour cream wrapped up in a lettuce wrap. I have heard of people putting yummy ground beef/turkey in them as well.

Just a simple suggestion that could help keep your calories down. It's an easy and yummy swap :) Go ahead, try it!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    YeSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS This is so true! I used to love wraps, burritos, anything I could stuff into a big soft tortilla. But now I won't waste the calories. I started off by putting my fillings into a bowl, but eating with a fork doesn't have the same feel as wrapping it up and holding it. Lettuce is the answer!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    You are 100% RIGHT! I LOVE this! Its such an easy snack and its one of my favorite things about Jimmy John's and their Unwich! They are SO good! My husband is such a carb man that I never thought I could suggest a low carb option like this every once in a while. But I made it one night for myself and he tried it and LOVE it! Made a club with bacon and turkey, amazing!!!

Thanks for reminding me though, its been a while and I see this in my future! :o)
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My family and I LOVE to do this!! It works VERY well with Romaine, especially if you buy the big heads with giant outer leaves...I also like Red Leaf lettuce, stuffed with taco meat and a half ounce of cheese:bigsmile: Darn it.....now I want some.lol
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY!! Love the lettuce wraps!
    My favorite filling? Curry Tuna. Yes... I said it. Tuna a small blob (tsp?) of FF miracle whip (or mayo) curry powder, cayenne, garlic powder a tiny pinch of dill and a little black pepper. Halve about 6 green grapes or dice up a quarter of a granny smith apple mix and spread in some lettuce leaves. Even if you eat the WHOLE can it's under 200 calories. YUM YUM!!

Left over teriyaki chicken with rice and pineapple is another favorite...

What's your favorite?
    :drinker:
  • hannah_lin
    Options
    My favorite filling? Curry Tuna. Yes... I said it. Tuna a small blob (tsp?) of FF miracle whip (or mayo) curry powder, cayenne, garlic powder a tiny pinch of dill and a little black pepper. Halve about 6 green grapes or dice up a quarter of a granny smith apple mix and spread in some lettuce leaves. Even if you eat the WHOLE can it's under 200 calories. YUM YUM!!

What's your favorite?
    The curry tuna one sounds AMAZING!!!
    I will definitely try it. :)
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Love lettuce leaves instead of the bread or the tortilla wrap! Not all the time but most of the time and then leave the wrap for an occasional treat!
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    BUMP
  • mamacitamb
    Options
    I have heard of people doing the lettuce wraps, but hadn't thought of it lately! What a WONDERFUL idea! :) I will be doing lettuce everything. I LOVE regular wraps, and most of them have lettuce in them, so substituting lettuce for the wraps would be a wonderful idea! Thanks!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,423 Member
    Options
    I use lettuce leaves as hamburger buns! When I have a crazy craving for a burger (or when the rest of the family is clamoring for them) I'll make burgers and use the leaves as the buns. Dress the burger the same (mustard, tomato, onion, salsa instead of ketchup) and it's soooo good. Having them for dinner SAturday night!
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options
    So true! I love using lettuce instead of bread or tortillas. I have a super bad addiction to turkey and cranberry wraps. I've noticed that whole wheat tortillas are way less calories but lettuce is even more! (And it has more nutrients than tortillas). :)
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    Smart... maybe I'll break my tortilla addiction someday!
  • katiegreaterthan3
    Options

What's your favorite?
    THIS sounds absolutely fabulous! I have to try it!
  • hibble
    hibble Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Lots of great ideas for lettuce wraps. Thanks
  • shayshay01
    shayshay01 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love them too!!! But here's my only problem.... Seems like the outer leaves work really great, but after that it's hard for me to get a decent sized leaf for rolling. Am I doing something wrong?! lol.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do! I try to mix up the different types of lettuce, sometimes i use Romaine, sometimes Bibb, sometimes random lettuce the supermarket has.

My favorite filling is a mixture of quinoa, black beans, onions, bell peppers with a homemade greek yogurt chipotle cream and homemade salsa with fresh cilantro. All the flavors of having a burrito with none of the guilt.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Two tips: butter lettuce. All of the leaves are super soft and don't have ribs down the middle like romaine. Romaine ends up being more of a lettuce boat than a wrap. AND don't over stuff the wrap! There's like 1 calorie in a leaf of butter lettuce- go ahead eat 3 little wraps. It's ok. It feels like more food and forces you to eat them slower. Oh and I guess a third tip: enjoy!!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd keep the tortilla in the burrito and use the lettuce to replace the cheese, instead! (I like my carbs).