has anyone tried p90x or insanity workouts??

Options
I was just wondering if anyone has tried either the p90x or the insanity workouts and how well they actually worked? I want to throw in some different things to keep me motivated and I am considering buying the insanity dvds which I know either one is going to kick my butt hard lol. Let me know thanks!

Replies

• nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    I completed P90X and I was amazed with the results. Developed some lean muscle all around and burned lots of body fat. Currently doing my 3rd round of it.

Like all fitness programs, the diet is the most important part.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    YES I have done some of both. at my current weight, I'm not really able to push myself through them completely but that is my Friday home workout. I like insanity because I don't have to use anything but me. They are pretty tough & awesome.
  • mitchielovesyou
    Options
    I LOVE P90X.

I'm obsessed with ab ripper x and all the others.
  • Wanda66
    Wanda66 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    They're both very good. I just pick and choose the work outs. You get results if you stick to it - that's the hard part... I'll do Inanity when I need more of a challenge from P90X.
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am actually waiting for the p90x to arrive and I'm really excited to start with it. Heard that its pretty tough though. Let me know if you have any tips or feedback :)
  • evelynfarmer
    evelynfarmer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I checked P90x out, but I thought it was a little too advanced for my fitness level, plus I didn't want to mess around with any pullup bar or weights. One of my friends downloaded and burned me a copy of the INSANITY. I tried the FIT TEST one night and MAN was I SUPER TIRED! I really want to get back into though and finish at least one 90 day period of it and see what results I get. If anyone wants to start INSANITY, let me know and maybe we can be buddies and motivate each other.
  • kminrovic
    kminrovic Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am in my first week of Insanity! I love it!! I have tried P90x and the workouts were just a little too long for my schedule. I love that Insanity is only 60 days! It is super tough, but I do my best and push through, I have never been so sweaty after a warm-up before!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    I have done both......Personally I prefer Insanity, but I love my cardio.

P90x workouts are longer, 3 days are strength training, and opposite days are cardio, then there is Yoga x which is absolutely no joke, but really long. The workouts are an hour, except Yoga X which is 90 min. I didn't have much weight loss during P90x, but did lose inches. For me it is just too time consuming. P90x is a 90 day program. My husband and teenage son LOVE p90x.

Insanity is 60 days. The workouts do not require anything other than yourself (though I would suggest a great pair of shoes) They are shorter. I lost weight doing Insanity. If you like cardio then I would go this route. I really like the fit test, it is great to see how you are improving throughout the program.......
  • mamamadonna
    Options
    My husband and I both use P90. Its great if you are able to commit to it. You can do it at your own pace and they show modifications for each move. It seems intimidating but its totally doable! We just borrowed Insanity from a friend... Its well named! I have only done the fit test so far and got a pretty good workout from that. Good luck!
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i have a friend who's husbad goaded the whole family into doing it. and amazingly enough the marrige is still strong lol. they were please with the outcome. though the family was a fit and active one to begin with so there were no 'startling' results veiwable from the outside, have thought of doing something like that but between the outlay of my house 3dog, 2 cats and child i have found it impossibe to do anything at home.
  • macnupe
    macnupe Posts: 19
    Options
    Currently, I am doing a combo of p90X and Insanity. P90x seems to build more muslce, while Insanity gives you insane cardio. The key is to stick through it. I am only on day 19 but am seeing reslults. I am doing :

Monday: P90X-Chest & Back, Ab Ripper X
    Tuesday: P90X- Pyometrics
    Wednesday: P90X- Shoulders & Arms, Ab Ripper X
    Thursday: Insanity- Max Interval Circuit
    Friday: rest
    Saturday: Insanity: Max Cardio
    Sunday: Insanity: Max Plyo

I am still struggling with eating the way each recommends.

Insanity's 10 minute warm up is ridiculous, most people are ready to quit before the workouts actually begin! lol. They are both hard in very different ways.

I believe that whichever one you choose will produce great results if you stick with it.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have tried both of these programs. Right now I'm on month 2 of Insanity where the workouts average about 50 minutes. Both have great qualities. Insanity is more cardio based and you use your own body as your 'gym'. P90x is great for building lean muscle and toning up. I'm glad I did P90x first as the cardio is not as intense and when I started I probably would have been a little gun shy about the intensity of Insanity. Now I love it. Just depends on what you're looking for. Insanity definitely (in my experience) has a higher calorie burn than P90x but P90x is a great balance between strength training and adding in cardio.
  • Angiebug1969
    Options
    P90X DOES work... but you have to hang in there! 90 days of tough workouts, 6-7 days a week is definitely a committment!
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Ive done them both and they are both great! Right now I'm doing Asylum, which is the sequel to Insanity, and its only 30 days. It also comes with a calendar for Insanity and P90X hybrids! It just depends on what you want. If you love cardio it's gotta be Insanity or Asylum. If you want all around fitness, which I would recommend do P90X. There are 3 versions. The folks who thought it was hard may have been doing the classic version. There is a lean version, which substitutes cardio or lighter workouts for some of the resisitence workouts. So theoretically its not as hard. I did the classic 3 times and the first time through I lost 25 lbs and 4 inches off my waist. I did stick with their diet plan which I would highly recommend also. I had good results doing it their way, not my own as far as food goes. Too many people do the workouts and it doesn't go how they want and complain that it didnt work. Well, if you aren't gonna do their diet plan, you're not really doing P90X or Insanity. Hope that helps.
  • browneyes1022
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info on both workouts. I think I'm going to try Insanity first and then go from there. Good luck to everyone!
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    What are the costs for each one?
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    Ive done them both and they are both great! Right now I'm doing Asylum, which is the sequel to Insanity, and its only 30 days. It also comes with a calendar for Insanity and P90X hybrids! It just depends on what you want. If you love cardio it's gotta be Insanity or Asylum. If you want all around fitness, which I would recommend do P90X. There are 3 versions. The folks who thought it was hard may have been doing the classic version. There is a lean version, which substitutes cardio or lighter workouts for some of the resisitence workouts. So theoretically its not as hard. I did the classic 3 times and the first time through I lost 25 lbs and 4 inches off my waist. I did stick with their diet plan which I would highly recommend also. I had good results doing it their way, not my own as far as food goes. Too many people do the workouts and it doesn't go how they want and complain that it didnt work. Well, if you aren't gonna do their diet plan, you're not really doing P90X or Insanity. Hope that helps.

How do you like Asylum? I keep looking at this and can't decide if I want it.......I LOVED Insanity.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    if u can get just a copy of px90 stretch... it's amazing.
  • jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    The costs are on the websites. But I think P90X and basic Insanity are $120. I got the deluxe Insantiy which has more workouts.
    Aslylum basic kit is $90.

If you like Insanity you will love Asylum it kicks it up a knotch and includes a strength workout, which Im doing in about 10 minutes. It has an agility ladder and jumpp rope which are used alot in the 4 workouts Ive done so far. The ladder especially. I think Aslyum is put together a little better than Insanity. It's more comprehensive and more variety instead of hard core crdio every day. Just my initial thoughts about a week into it.
  • LosingGrip
    Options
    Does anyone know what equipment you need for P90X? I've been thinking about it, but don't have room for any equipment really.