More rest or push through?

Options
Looking for some advice on whether I should give my body at least another rest day or push through the soreness and get back to working out.

Background:
I generally work out at least 6-7 times per week, with a mix of cardio, strength, pilates and yoga. On days where I take it easy I try to get at least some yoga, pilates or walking in. I can't really spend a whole day doing nothing active.

This weekend I had a mountain bike trip on Saturday and a day of indoor rock climbing on Monday. I was a little sore from biking on Sunday so I just did 60 minutes of Pilates and some walking. Monday I really pushed myself and climbed higher and more difficult routes than I've done before. I was just dead yesterday and could only do 20 minutes of yoga to try and stretch myself out. I'm still pretty sore today, in particular my arms, shoulder and back. Should I give my body another rest day or try to get back to cardio or strength today? Right now I'm leaning towards another easy rest day, but I feel a little bit guilty taking so much time off.

Thanks!

Replies

• antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Take it easy. Do something light or even nothing at all. You'll be the stronger for it in the long run. You don't want to risk injury! At the very least your workouts will start to wimp out and become less effective if you continue to push through even if you're tired.
  • nudacris
    nudacris Posts: 25
    Options
    I agree with antijen. You could just stretch, too. If you feel like you absolutely must do something, work the muscles that aren't sore (abs and/or legs). Just make sure you let your arms/shoulders/back recover a bit before you put a crazy load on them again.
  • kaytedawg05
    kaytedawg05 Posts: 209
    Options
    don't feel guilty... it would definitely be better to add the rest u need than to risk an injury that puts you out of pushing yourself further for more days, weeks or even months...

I did this to myself last summer... I kept pushing myself and ended up with a torn tendon in my foot... for the past 8 months... I've been on my rear more often than anything. Not being able to do what I wanted to do brought on discouragement & another cycle of depression & eating & not working out... it can have some bad news side effects... more than just not being able to keep going...

Get plenty of sleep, take some aleve for anti-inflammatory, stretch, elevate, and enjoy the extra day or two by catching up on another task you been looking for the time to do... And when you return, you'll feel stronger than ever also!

Best Wishes
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Rock climbing will do that to ya :wink:

I wouldn't do any strength training, particularly upper body, but if you're feeling up to it some light yoga or stretching would be a good idea. It'll stop those muscles tightening up more. A walk or easy jog might also help to loosen the upper body a bit. I find it works that way for me anyway.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon :flowerforyou:
  • astridselen
    Options
    Hi, I tried to up my calori-burn for a period to 7000 per week. I ended up dead tired and gained 2 lb over two weeks. I now try to keep my input at 3500. I work out 6-8 hours (usually one hour stairmaster and 1 hour strength the same day) every week and walk a lot as well.

But, I feel that I have reached a stand-still in my weightloss. It makes it hard to stay focused and positive.

I will however take my trainers advise to get enough sleep/rest and eat more carbohydrates, in order to endure more training and higher intensity.

Hope you find your way through.:smile:
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!

I think a main part of this whole process for me is learning to really listen to my body and I think it's definitely telling me to take some rest.