I got some really bad news!

Options
I started a thread the other day about gas issues and bowel movements related to the upping of fiber. Well tonight i went to the bathroom after my walk and found all blood i assumed it came from the back end. I was told to go the ER by a nurse... so i did. Everything was fine.. got fluids through IV, etc. But when they did an ultrasound to check my uterus and gallbladder they told me i have gallstones and need surgery... this is gonna be really hard to manage with my lifestyle change because now i can have NO FAT until the gallbladder is removed.

I am really upset i didn't expect to hear news like this.. so for anyone who has been through this or can offer support please do.. i need all the prayers i can get as well. Now i need to contact a surgeon.

I had been having upper stomach pains, nausea, and i thought it was all related to the new foods. I guess not.

Replies

• Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your news. I will keep you in my prayers. Wishing you the best of luck in finding a good surgeon and prayng your operation goes well. Keep us posted.
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    So sorry that you are going through this. I don't have any advice for you, but I will keep you in my thoughts. I hope you feel better soon.
  • aegira
    aegira Posts: 204
    Options
    So sorry to hear you're going through this. My girlfriend had to endure the same problem and it was hard for her to give up fat. The up side if I can offer one, is she has come through the operation fantastically, has dropped a mass of weight and is looking awesome. She says she feels better now then she has in 20 years. Her hubby treated her to complete new wardrobe of clothes =)
    Chin up, my prayers and thoughts are with you
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi <<big hug>>

This is not good news, as all surgery is serious. However, it is not insurmountable. My father had his gall bladder removed and the change in his colour afterwards was dramatic. We hadn't noticed how grey he was looking but he was much healthier afterwards, although he did have to pay more attention to his diet.

I would not look at the dark side of this problem, but rather focus on the fact that because you are in the course of changing your lifestyle, you are more aware of how your body is acting. I would much rather face such an event knowing that I am controlling (to some extent) how I am approaching the problem, as opposed to being an emergency case. Focus on the positive and know that we are all thinking of you.

Elaine
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I dealt with gallstones for years. After I had my gallbaldder removed- it was heavenly (ok, maybe an overstatement...)! I wish I had done it years ago.

You'll feel so much better!! I do sometimes have a couple of issues because of it- private me if you'd like with questions.
  • KCB1978
    KCB1978 Posts: 113
    Options
    Thoughts are with you xxx
  • chloemeow
    chloemeow Posts: 71
    Options
    i had kidney stones when i was younger,
    i had 8 actually.
    the doctor booked all my surgery for me and everything,
    its not that big of a surgery for your gall bladder but i hope it all works out for you.

i had 3 surgerys but about 3 years later (now) its allcoming back to haunt me, it really sucks,
    i hope you get well soon
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    A few years ago I started having squeezing pains in my chest, with nausea and clamminess. I actually thought I was having a heart attack. Went to the ER and they said it was my gallbladder and I needed surgery right away. I didn't really have time to think about it. I wish I had had more time, because I'm the kind of person that likes to try natural remedies first, and there are natural remedies online that supposedly help you pass or dissolve stones.

Anyway, I had my surgery that same day, one of those surgeries where they just make a few small 1/2" openings and insert a camera and do the job... they call this laparoscopic surgery. A lot of times people can go home the same day. I had some other issues with mine... pancreatitis, kidney infection... so I had to stay in the hospital a few days.

The doc told me after the surgery to avoid all fat, but that was 5 years ago, and frankly, I just eat what I've always eaten and I have no problems.

The strange thing is... the gallbladder problem happened 4 weeks after I started a diet, and I've read that lower calorie diets often precipitate gallbladder issues. I still don't understand that.

Anyway, hope all goes well and it all gets resolved soon for you.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    PS- I've never heard of bleeding related to gallbladder issues... did they explain how it was connected?
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I started having squeezing pains in my chest, with nausea and clamminess. I actually thought I was having a heart attack. Went to the ER and they said it was my gallbladder and I needed surgery right away. I didn't really have time to think about it. I wish I had had more time, because I'm the kind of person that likes to try natural remedies first, and there are natural remedies online that supposedly help you pass or dissolve stones.

Anyway, I had my surgery that same day, one of those surgeries where they just make a few small 1/2" openings and insert a camera and do the job... they call this laparoscopic surgery. A lot of times people can go home the same day. I had some other issues with mine... pancreatitis, kidney infection... so I had to stay in the hospital a few days.

The doc told me after the surgery to avoid all fat, but that was 5 years ago, and frankly, I just eat what I've always eaten and I have no problems.

The strange thing is... the gallbladder problem happened 4 weeks after I started a diet, and I've read that lower calorie diets often precipitate gallbladder issues. I still don't understand that.

Anyway, hope all goes well and it all gets resolved soon for you.

Becky glad to hear you are ok now- gall bladder issues are a pain but pancreatitis is very serious!!

- regarding the bleeding upon use of the toilet- if it was red (obviously bloody) then it was not coming from internal belleding (that would lead to black, tarry stools) but rather something closer to the exit - such as a hemorrhoid or perhaps a little irritation caused by how much you had been using the toilet lately

good luck with your surgery !
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    my daughter was 17 when she had her gall bladder removed, and she was absolutely fine just a bit tender after and she's not had any trouble since and that was 3 yrs ago, gd luck with it :smile:
  • swtwest
    swtwest Posts: 6
    Options
    I had to have my gallbladder removed in April of 2009. I had similar symptoms but just chalked them off as something else as well. I also have very severe pain randomly that they refer to as "attacks" and I would have to say that was the worst part by far. Nothing would make the pain go away when it hit and it would die down to a dull ache for a minute or two, just to come right back stronger than previous one. All I could do is just roll around in pain and at times literally screaming. Then it would die down again and then just stop all together without returning for a day long or sometimes even a week.
    It was suggested until surgery date to yes, stay away from "fatty" foods. And by that I believe they are talking about anything fried or greasy, so you have your good fats that should not be a problem. At the same time, everyone's body is different.

Unfortunately, I still get those "attacks" here and there. They think that it may be due to a stone left behind in the duct at surgery and I would have to go in to GI Dr for them to go in with a scope.( I better be asleep for all that!)
    We have found that mine seems to be narcotic medication, mainly IV meds that happen to trigger the "attacks" for me. I had my youngest Son 4 months ago and had 4 seperate occaissions when these occured when I was hospitalized while pregnant & each time was for that reason so much to the point that I would just refused any pain meds at all because I was affraid that it may trigger another one.
    After surgery you should not have any restrictions and usually they schedule surgery within 2 weeks of initial visit with the surgeon. So don't be too affraid to consume something that contains fat, just I wouldn't recommend a bucket of fried chicken or anything along those lines. I hope all goes well for you and that they do not make you wait too long to get it taken care of.
    ~Good Luck~
  • Robyn_T
    Robyn_T Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're going through this! I work in an ER and I've seen more than one person come in with gallbladder issues. I always feel bad for them.

YourFriendBecky is right that low calorie diets can cause or aggravate gallbladder issues. A friend had to have her GB removed because she was dieting too aggressively and it created problems. Also, people who have weight loss surgeries will sometimes have their gallbladders removed at the same time, because of the likelihood of problems due to rapid weight loss.

Feel better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    This is actually good news. They caught it early before the stones caused infection, duct blockage, or inflammation in your pancreas. Gallbladder removal is one of the most common surgeries done in the US ( I work in an ER and diagnose gallstones at least a few times a day) and is quite simple, quick, and routine when done electively. If you stick to the mfp limits for fat and don't eat it all at once you'll be fine. A few weeks after the surgery fat digestion is normal for most folks. Don't worry, you will feel better and lead a happy normal life :flowerforyou:
  • finallyhappening2011
    finallyhappening2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keeping you in prayer. Sorry to hear about this. I am sure that everything will turn out well for you. Keep you head up and continue smiling......best of luck!
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last summer. I did a lot of jello, fruit and veggies before my surgery. It most likely wasn't the most healthy diet, but I just avoided fats and ate a lot of small meals. I didn't even worry about calories, I focused on just remembering to eat. Take it easy with fat right after surgery, ease back into it, but you should be fine. The only thing I noticed was that I couldn't eat pork afterward. I miss it sometimes, but there are a lot of good alternatives if you have issues with it.
  • FAMILY02184
    Options
    oh wow soo sorry how did this all happen? were you in pain?
  • vicki9168
    vicki9168 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Unfortuntely I dont have any advice but I wish you all the best and Im sure you will be back to yourself and feeling better real soon.
  • sloanranger57
    Options
    Hya, I kow everyone is different, my daughter had her gall bladder out about 5 yr ago and they told her no this no that. At firts she took notice of all the said, but beening in her early 20s, she soon started to go off the rails. The results being 5yr on and she says she is no different than when she had her gall bladder, just eat normaly and what ever she wants. So dont look on the down side, be positive. Things will turn out fine.

Jo x
  • zoebea33
    zoebea33 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had gallstones in 2004 and had them removed by keyhole surgery a year later, it was an almost pain free procedure and very quick recovery. Whilst i had them i saw a dietican and she advised me as long as the food i ate had less than 4g of sat fat per 100g i should be fine and i was good luck honey xxxx

6438870.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools