Want to really accelerate your weight loss? HIIT. It REALLY

Options
REman
REman Posts: 48 Member
Okay, check this out....I used to run at a steady pace and switch it up with walking every few minutes. I'd get a great calorie burn and go a long distance, but my body wasn't really fatigued.

Well, a week ago, I changed my jog up to intervals. I've noticed two things: weight loss really is accelerated. I've gone from 230 to 228 and interval running really has to the be reason why because I've been mostly eating like a hog.

Second, my body feels more like I did some weight lifting AND cardio, as opposed to just the latter. Your body gets more of an anaerobic workout so your muscles are worked more intensely.

Oh, another thing: It takes me much less time to burn the same amount of calories. With a steady jog, it took me about 45 minutes to achieve a 400 calorie burn. With interval training, I did it in 23.

I wanted to start out slow. Here's what I did on my first day:

stretch

5 minute warm-up

1:30 minute steady jog

:30 sprint

1 minute jog

:30 sprint (100% power!!)

:30 second jog

:30 walk

:30 second jog

:30 sprint

...and so forth. Make sure you're well hydrated because you'll sweat gallons. Of course, you want to be sure to use proper running technique. I'm going to start doing it on a daily basis and see just how much my weight is impacted.

Replies

• a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I did HIIT for the first time last week on a stationary bike and saw a nice drop in the scale later on... I will have to do it a few more times to make sure that they're really correlated for me. :)

I did a 1:1 sprint:recovery ratio too, but I think that was a mistake for my first time doing intervals. I *really* pushed myself and took myself to the point where I couldn't go any more. I couldn't even bear to walk up the one flight of stairs to my apartment afterwards.

I think next time I will ease into it with 1:3 or 1:6 sprint:recovery ratio, so I can keep going the full 20 or 25 minutes.

But yeah, I agree, I felt more wiped after that than I did after my usual 35-45 minute workouts.
  • maddiex_x
    maddiex_x Posts: 43
    Options
    i want to try !!
  • REman
    REman Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Nice call, Stephanie. That particular workout I started with may still be too difficult for a beginner. Make sure you test the waters before diving in.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I heard about this. Sounds interesting!
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    I learned about this a while ago in my diet and fitness class. When i take my cute little puppy out i usually do like a jog/run/brisk walk combo.....

I def like it better than just the straight threw and it is much better for you. Makes your body stay alert:)
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting! I decided to take up jogging a few weeks ago. I can't go long, so I run, jog and walk interchangeably. I feel awesome, get a good sweat and I jog more each time! Thanks for posting this, encouraging and so interesting. I will add when I started doing this vrs walking, I lost three pounds that week and two the next :)
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Starting HIIT this weekend....
  • JEK717
    JEK717 Posts: 1,497
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Tried it for the first time this morning and it kicked *kitten*!

I did it on a stationary bike with a 5 min warm up followed by 30 seconds High Intensity and 1.30 low intesity and a 5 min cool down.

It was the hardest 20 mins ive ever done in the gym, people were looking at me funny going from a medium pace to a full on sprint!

I was still recovering in the shower!

Bike only said 130 calories burned but ive heard you burn loads after doing HIIT
  • dawn2154
    dawn2154 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I do hiit too i,ve had great weight loss and i,ve also noticed great improvement with my stamina to when i started i used to walk for 2 run for 30 seconds i now jog for 3 run for a min and a half and sprint for 30 i always feel great afterwards.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    HIIT is fantastic for fitness, calorie burning, body-shaping... pretty much everything.

You can alter it however you want, if you're unfit, or want to really hammer the sprints, you can extend the rest period until you're completely recovered. If you're a sicko who enjoys the lactic burn, you can go 1:1. If you just want to mix up your jog you can do 1:1 but make the speeds only slightly quicker and slightly slower than your normal speed. You can include hills, different terrain, agility exercises like cone-slaloms, plyometrics like block jumps.

In case you hadn't noticed, I highly approve of HIIT. Especially if you're looking for fitness for team sports like football, basketball, gridiron or hockey.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Tried it for the first time this morning and it kicked *kitten*!

I did it on a stationary bike with a 5 min warm up followed by 30 seconds High Intensity and 1.30 low intesity and a 5 min cool down.

It was the hardest 20 mins ive ever done in the gym, people were looking at me funny going from a medium pace to a full on sprint!

I was still recovering in the shower!

Bike only said 130 calories burned but ive heard you burn loads after doing HIIT

Haha, yeah, I was wondering what people in my tiny cardio room were thinking of me going pretty "easy" and then buckling down and grunting/making faces as I sprinted. I sure sweat up a storm, more than if I spent an hour at a steady pace.