Should you eat breakfast if you're not hungry?

Options
For example, today, its 11:39am, and I havent eaten a single thing.

I have had a cup of tea, and one glass of squash.

I'm not at all hungry (been sat at my desk at work since 8:30)

Should I eat breakfast anyway?

Replies

• MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, if it was me. I'd have a tiny breakfast. Just to put something down as "breakfast".

But I dunno.

If you're really not hungry I guess you could skip it and have a bigger lunch.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Yes! It helps wake up your metabolism and gives you energy. After being asleep for 7 or 8 hours and fasting, your body needs energy. You don't have to wake up and have bacon, eggs, and toast.. but something small like yogurt or a banana. My stomach would be sounding like godzilla if I haven't have anything until 11am!
  • sabl3
    sabl3 Posts: 39
    Options
    Eat!!!! You have to kick start your metabolism by eating in the morning. I know you're not hungry but you really should other wise you're body is going to go into storage mode. Even though you don't feel hungry doesn't mean you aren't. Have just a banana or something.
  • Bex_zic
    Bex_zic Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    yeah i would, the whole point of breakfast is to kick start your metabolism. so if you eat early as you can, you have a long as possible for your motabolism to work. if you dont eat breakfast then you don't start burning energy, its like your body goes into starvation mode. i always eat breakfast, and by lunch i'm starving ,but if i dont then i can go a whole day not eating. it feels like that should mean i lose weight, as i am not eating, but in fact i put on weight the month i stopped having breakkie!
  • mabear74
    mabear74 Posts: 248
    Options
    A glass of squash? Like a veggie drink? If that is the case then I wouldn't stress so much about not eating breakfast.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! you need to eat something to rev your metabolism, no question about it---a piece of fruit and turkey sausage (a nice balance of protein and carb).
  • kierontye1
    Options
    gotta feed that metabolism of yours otherwise u wont burn and by burn imean with or without exercise,,, so EAT!!
  • krissybug72
    krissybug72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was told by several people. - one who lost 30 pounds recently that not only should you eat breakfast, but it should be at least 400 calories. This is to put gas in your tank so to speak. There is a saying - eat like a king at breakfast, a prince at lunch, and a pauper at dinner....
  • janski2
    janski2 Posts: 70
    Options
    Absolutely! you need to eat something to rev your metabolism, no question about it---a piece of fruit and turkey sausage (a nice balance of protein and carb).

I'd listen to this gal. She is doing something right. WTG!!!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I have to be the odd one out and say that I for one, do not begin eat each day until I'm hungry but once I have started I follow my plan. As soon as I start eating I start being hungry! Otherwise, I will binge at night as I will run out of food. I think it is smart for people who are night owls and night eaters. I will say however that your last meal or snack should include a long burned protein like peanut butter or cottage cheese.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    my reply would kinda hindge on what the heck a glass of squash is , if its some kind of veg drink then i wouldnt worry since you can almost consider that, if its just some kinda of yummy non nutritious drink, then i would try to eat something.
    some people (like me) almost have to train yourself to eat breakfast. oddly enough i started only eating breakfast when dieting, now i do get hungry for it (didn't before). sometimes its only an atkins shake for breakfast, as i dont have enough time when working. like today i am off so going to go make me some eggs , can't decided on scrambled or overeasy though.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    my reply would kinda hindge on what the heck a glass of squash is , if its some kind of veg drink then i wouldnt worry since you can almost consider that, if its just some kinda of yummy non nutritious drink, then i would try to eat something.

I agree. On days I am not hungry, I try to eat a little cup of yogurt or a banana to get me going. It doesn't make me feel full but gives my body something to work on. I eat breakfast around 6:30 am, so if I have a little yogurt or fruit, I am full on hungry by 9 am.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Sorry, squash is a UK word for fruit juice, i.e the one where you put a little bit of juice in the bottom of a glass, and dilute to about 10 parts water to one part juice. Sure you have exactly the same thing over there, but cant think what else its called! lol