Help Hit a Plateau

Options
Since I began MFP in January I have managed to lose 30 lbs. I couldn't believe it. I get so excited when I see the numbers on the scale lower and my clothes getting bigger. As of late I have hit a plateau. I've been stuck at 192 lbs for a little while:sad: . I have been so looking forward to 189. If you have ever hit a plateau how did you get through it and begin to lose weight again? HELP taking suggestions and idea. THANK YOU:blushing:

Replies

• countsplunkett
    Options
    You sound just like me for the past 8 weeks. I just started a low carbdiet extra water. I am losing again and drop below 190 finally. Try low carb and friend me. Seems like we are in the same boat
  • deanne525
    deanne525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i am in the exact same boat. lost 30lbs and am now stuck for months. I am fluctuating between the same 5lbs over and over again. Im going to keep my eye on this thread for suggestions.
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Look up cycling your calories on body building.com. I am the same as you...lost 20 then hit that stupid plateau. Your body gets smart and learns to adjust to the deficit of calories. At least mine did. I have already started losing again and I just started last week. Good luck.
  • Curtiss1
    Curtiss1 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey...great job so far! Don't get down on yourself. This too, has happened to me. I had to tell myself I could get started again, do something nice for myself, and then take a 2 week period and break it into mini goals to reboot my program. The mini goals were geared at giving me a series of challenging, but attainable successes to revitalize the drive in my mind.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, and try changing your exercise. I dropped another 5 lbs recently by having a few weeks off running and circuits and walking 4 hours a day instead. It was accidental, but it worked.
  • Betty8461
    Betty8461 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me. I was totally strict with my diet and made sure ate my 1200 or less every day untill I heard of Zig Zag dieting. What I did was just increase my calories to 1300 for 2 days then whent back to 1200. I really worked, I was out of a weight that I had been stuck on for almost 3 week. Lost 6 lbs since then. Not sure if that is the concept of Zig Zag but it worked for me. :)
  • rcochnar
    rcochnar Posts: 11
    Options
    I hit a plateau last week. Upped my exercise this week and saw results almost instantly.
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    I hit a plateau last week. Upped my exercise this week and saw results almost instantly.
    ^ There's your answer. You have to keep pushing yourself or you won't get any further.

Review your exercise plan and take a good look at your meals. It's time to do more! :smile:

And you should feel great about the weight you've lost so far. 30lbs is nothing to laugh at.
  • Neliel
    Neliel Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 30 pounds loss for about 4 months now and I keep fluctuating up and down about 5 pounds. It's so bloody annoying! When I start up an exercise routine I seem to shoot up a few pounds and I then struggle to get it back down. I don't really know what else I can do... I've tried everything.
  • innerfashionista
    innerfashionista Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Want to follow this - I've lost the same 2 pounds for the past 5 weeks. Upping my workouts hasn't helped, so I'm playing with my diet. Last time I plateaued I switched to eating clean, and that helped a lot. I'm going to research the zig zag calories to see about that.
  • deanne525
    deanne525 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck at 30 pounds loss for about 4 months now and I keep fluctuating up and down about 5 pounds. It's so bloody annoying! When I start up an exercise routine I seem to shoot up a few pounds and I then struggle to get it back down. I don't really know what else I can do... I've tried everything.

I am in the EXACT same boat. Lost 30lbs and have been up and down 5lbs since December. Friend me...

I exercise 5 days per week and keep a strict diet during the week. I do tend to eat more on the weekends, but it cannot be enough to prevent me from losing for months now.
  • jbaden01
    jbaden01 Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Started this Jan. 1st. By April 1st lost 38 lbs at mostly 2 lbs per week. 282 lbs to 245 lbs. First 10 Days was about 13 lbs in water weight. I was eating 1750 calories but did not eat any of my excercise calories. The more I excercised the slower my weight loss became. Then it just stopped. The past 3 wks I have changed my whole workout completely around thinking I was getting too used to my excercise. Still hasn't mattered. I am eating more hoping to pull out of this. I am eating about 2300 calories with about 300-500 to spare after excercise and it just hasn't seem to matter. So, I am open for suggestions as well.
  • orierie113
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I'm going to try some of all of them.....Please keep them coming.:wink:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. In fact, I was frustrated enough to start a Plateau Support thread on the Motivation board yesterday. Feel free to join our plateau pity party! :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/226252-anyone-else-need-plateau-support?page=1#posts-2994080
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Increase your cardio in incriments as well as your strength training. You should also try different forms of exercise so ou can target different muscle groups. I'd say try swimming, that is a good workout that should help your plateau. Good luck!
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Truly the low-carb thing has made wonders for the plateau I was at recently. I was sitting at 150 (going up to 152 a few times) for forever. Finally I did some reading and made the switch to low-carb. That was Sunday, and I am down to 146.5 as of this morning (with no exercise).

However, the low-carb isn't a short term solution. If you do start it you have to stay on it forever, so that is quiet a committment. If giving up pasta is not on your agenda, check out the zig zag, or calorie cycling thing. Maybe that is a good solution too.