Race Day: Unreasonably Nervous

LorinaLynn
LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
edited September 26 in Motivation and Support
I know it's silly. I know that. I know I shouldn't be nervous. I've done this before. But I still am.

This evening is my third 5k race, but I'm more nervous than I've been for any of the others. I think it's because I have all day to think about it. The race isn't until 6pm, whereas for all the others, I've woken up, had a quick breakfast, fed the dog, fed the cats, and sped out the door. No time to be nervous.

But this time, it's an evening race. And my first in summer-like temperatures. It's been in the 20s or 30s for the others, which I thought was a bigger challenge, but now that I've run when it's warm... that's a lot more grueling! I sweat big time, even when it's cool. It's already 66 F and only 8:30 am. The forecasted high is 77. That's what they said yesterday, and it got to 90. Humid. Chance of thunderstorms. All that adds up to one sweaty gross Lorina.

And this is the first time my husband will be there to cheer me on. And take photos. He had been working night shift, and was dead asleep during all my other races. But his shift changed recently, so he's coming along. I want to make him proud. I know he's already proud, but I still want to do well for him.

For my first race, which was a 4.5 mile, not a 5k, I was happy to just cross the finish line. I had to take walk breaks, and I was ok with that. I still finished better than I thought I would. For my second, a 5k, my goal was to run the whole thing, and I did, and I was very happy with my time (29:42). The most recent race was another 5k, and I did amazing! It was cold, and windy, and I wasn't prepared because I was at a party the night before, had a few Long Island Ice Teas, and overslept the next day. And I finished in 27:56, just 15 seconds behind my 25 year old very athletic niece who's been running for years. Pretty good for an almost 39 year old noob who's only been running 4 months!!!

So I'm putting excessive pressure on myself for this one. I want to do even better. Logically, I know I can't compare the two races. Any two races, really. The course, weather, and circumstances are all different. It's ok if I have to go slower, or even take a walk break if I feel I need to. Trying to get a great time isn't worth a heat stroke or dehydration. It's still a new experience, and one that will prepare me even more for the Warrior Dash in June, which is the whole reason I started running in the first place.

Still, I'd appreciate it if y'all would wish me luck, and if anyone has any weather controlling devices, maybe pass a t-storm through Northeastern Pennsylvania around 4pm, so it'll be cooler and refreshing by the 6pm start time. :laugh:

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Good luck Lorina!!! I am sure you will rock it!!!sLo_kiss4.gif
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
  • Good luck...it's not silly...I am so with you on the nervousness...I run ...not fast, but I can run over 2 miles. Interesting, I have had issues when it comes to race time. My breathing gets all out of sync and I think it's due to anxiety. I have been working on it and had some improvement this past weekend.I am planning to do a 5K tonight too. However, it may be a bit too humid for me.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    PA weather has a way of changing itself every 5 minutes :happy: . Dont worry. YOU WILL ROCK IT!!!! YOU WILL DO FINEEEEEE!!!! Stay hydrated, wear light light clothes(as if it were 30 degrees warmer) Treat this as an ordinary sunset training run. YOU DONT NEED LUCK GIRL!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!!
  • WifedUpMartin
    WifedUpMartin Posts: 166 Member
    You'll do great! Keep us posted on how it turns out!
  • Above all else, enjoy yourself! We can be blissfully thankful that we're strong & healthy & able to run! (or at least, that's what I keep telling myself before each race!)

Don't worry about how this race compares to the next... no two races are the same. There's course differences, weather, sleep issues, etc... all that are uncontrollable. So ENJOY your run... and I'm soooo thrilled that you're Hubby can make it to this race!! (My hubby is going to my next race too! I Love Him for it!!)

:flowerforyou: Hugs!
    Angie
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Good luck! Try not to put to much pressure on your results and just focus on Having Fun!
  • LorinaLynn
    Thanks, everybody! *SMOOCHIES!*
    wear light light clothes(as if it were 30 degrees warmer)

I think they'd frown on me running nekkid! :laugh:
  • frubjious
    frubjious Posts: 355
    Good Luck!
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Color me impressed! My best 5k time is 30ish. You are doing amazing! Plus i think night 5ks are more fun. People are more excited about it. You don't have the sleepy people rubbing their eyes just praying for it to start. You are going to do amazing!! Post your results after, please!!!
  • wannabehotmomma
    wannabehotmomma Posts: 190 Member
    Wow, so impressed with your times!!! You will do great, just have a feeling! I have my first 5K this Saturday, and know my time is going to be slow. I am very nervous myself for some reason!!
    You are doing so well, I am very impressed!! Let us know how you do!
  • LorinaLynn
    Yay! Done! And I'm still alive!!! :laugh:

28:07. I was #75 out of a field of 192. Not my best time, but still pretty damn good, and I would've been a few seconds faster if I didn't stop for water in the 2nd half. The first half of the race, I know I kicked major *kitten*. The second half... I was running out of steam and took it easy. And I ran out of my magical jelly beans. I figured finishing a little slower was better than dying. :wink:

My husband got some fantastic photos that I'll post in my blog later. But here's one for now...

IMG_0260.jpg
  • jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    28 minutes for a 5K!!! That is awesome!!!!!! Congratulations!! Well done!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Hydrate well, dress light, and start off easy...you can always kick it up in the last mile and get yourself another PR. Good luck!!!

**Ooops - you're done! I forgot you're in that other time zone, way way over there:) Congrats on your race - that's a great time!!
  • LorinaLynn
    Thanks! Here's the blog post with a bunch of photos... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LorinaLynn/view/do-it-for-the-kids-5k-97455
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    You rock!!
This discussion has been closed.