Dressings!!!

Options
OK,, so I know that this is not the typical bad food craving, but I am DYING for some ceasar salad right now... not the cheese and croutons ( I usually get a garden salad), but the Creamy white garlic ceasar dressing on the salad!

It is a horrible dressing for fat an calories, but it is just sooo delicious. I realized I needed to give it up about a month ago when I was eating a chick fil a salad with their single serving packet of ceasar dressing (Delicious!)... then I realized i was not eating 160 calories, but 400 calories!! that damned packet had 2.5 servings of dressing! Single Serving packets should be SINGLE SERVING!!!

anyways, I have not had a ceasar dressed salad in quite a while, but it is screaming at me in the back of my mind saying that I practically need it to survive today.
Yes, I have tried the light ceasars and the non creamy ceasars, but they taste like crap to me and can only be satisfied with the real creamy stuff....

Anyone else have "not horrible" horrible healthy food cravings?

Replies

• jtns
    jtns Posts: 11
    Options
    I would have it as an occasional treat.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried dressings by Walden Farms? They have no calories, no carbs, no fat. They also have a line that has just no sugar, so if you are watching carbs, its great. I love the no sugar creamy bacon!!!!
  • mevie666
    mevie666 Posts: 7
    Options
    Have you tried doing the dressing yourself?? you can swap the dressing...with light yoghurt and add up garlic..lemons or ginger.. :D Im having a deeep deep deep craving for crisps right now or any salty products..and I also have a migraine -_-
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    If you measure out 1 serving, put it on your salad, and coat it very well, I can almost guarantee it will seem like more than you think it is. When you just put it on top, you eat clumps of it and then on bottom, you have none left. Shake it, stir it, mix it, but make sure you see how much 1 serving really is before you up to 2 servings. I do this with my dressing, I measure out 1 tablespoon and mix like crazy until it's very coated. I used to have a lot of success just dipping my fork in the dressing as well. You taste it at the heart of every bite, because your fork is coated in it. Good luck!!
  • FlipThis112
    FlipThis112 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ken's Healthy Options light ceasar dressing is amazing. I love a good ceasar salad, I just use that dressing when I have one.
  • CrimsonWife
    Options
    Have you tried making it with Greek yogurt? Jamie Oliver's recipe is pretty good. http://maplemacaroni.blogspot.com/2011/04/jamie-olivers-greek-yogurt-caesar.html
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    OK,, so I know that this is not the typical bad food craving, but I am DYING for some ceasar salad right now... not the cheese and croutons ( I usually get a garden salad), but the Creamy white garlic ceasar dressing on the salad!

It is a horrible dressing for fat an calories, but it is just sooo delicious. I realized I needed to give it up about a month ago when I was eating a chick fil a salad with their single serving packet of ceasar dressing (Delicious!)... then I realized i was not eating 160 calories, but 400 calories!! that damned packet had 2.5 servings of dressing! Single Serving packets should be SINGLE SERVING!!!

anyways, I have not had a ceasar dressed salad in quite a while, but it is screaming at me in the back of my mind saying that I practically need it to survive today.
    Yes, I have tried the light ceasars and the non creamy ceasars, but they taste like crap to me and can only be satisfied with the real creamy stuff....

Anyone else have "not horrible" horrible healthy food cravings?

I LOOOOOVE salad dressing. I know this is going to sound so stupid (my Gramma used to tell me this all the time and I thought she was just getting old and senile) but put the dressing on your fork before you get anything else on there. You'll still taste the dressing but you won't use nearly as much! I absolutely despise low-fat and low-calorie salad dressings and would rather have just a little bit of the real thing. This works for me. I eat a ceasar salad about twice a week. Good luck!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have cleaned up my diet a lot since starting mfp, but one thing I do not do is sugar free or low fat or fat free products. I've been successful with keeping my butter and full fat products as long as the rest of the menu is clean. I rarely go over my fat and carb allowance even with full fat and sugar products. I know many have succeeded and are helped by these products which is great, but for me, the sacrifice in flavor is not worth it.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the lite versions you can find at the store? I found a light version of my fav (1000 island) that only has 70 calories per serving and it tastes SO good; much better than the fat free I was eating and it is only 20 calories more. Try different brands until you find that perfect balance of low cal and taste.
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    i hear you, sister. I hear you. i LOVE me caesar salad. I never buy salad dressing, I always make. Its so easy.
    You can adjust all these to taste, but keep the basic proportions.

Caesar Dressing:

2 eggs
    2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
    6 to 8 anchovy fillets, minced (you can use less, or none)
    2 tablespoons chopped garlic
    4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    Worcestershire sauce (to taste, I like a TBS or so)
    2 cups olive oil
    2 tablespoon warm water, if needed
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

The traditional way to make is this:
    Place the egg yolk, mustard, anchovies, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce into a salad bowl. Blend with whisk and then add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until it is fully incorporated. If the dressing stops gets too thick, add the warm water and then continue until all the oil is added. Add the cheese and continue to blend.
    That was is pretty easy, but my way is easier.

MY way is, put everything but the olive oil in a blender. Blend. Slowly add in olive oil until its the right consistency.

It's so, so good. and so flavorful- read= garlicky, it gets the craving satisfied with not a lot of dressing. You can cut back on the cheese to cut on calories, but don't use any low fat garbage cheese. Use good balsamic, good olive oil and good cheese. And good dijon. Basically, use good ingredients since its a simple recipe! :)

Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Crimsonwife,

Thanks for this. This proves my theory that everything is better with greek yogurt. I'll def use this.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I do the exact same thing with the dipping of the fork. I am not a low cal dressing fan, and I love dressing. I was shocked when I used the fork method how little dressing I could get by with using. So I usually eat whatever kind I want (single serving) 1 tablespoon and it is plenty.
  • cupajoe
    cupajoe Posts: 155
    Options
    If you measure out 1 serving, put it on your salad, and coat it very well, I can almost guarantee it will seem like more than you think it is. When you just put it on top, you eat clumps of it and then on bottom, you have none left. Shake it, stir it, mix it, but make sure you see how much 1 serving really is before you up to 2 servings. I do this with my dressing, I measure out 1 tablespoon and mix like crazy until it's very coated. I used to have a lot of success just dipping my fork in the dressing as well. You taste it at the heart of every bite, because your fork is coated in it. Good luck!!

This is so true. Use a serving and mix it well so that each bite has a bit of dressing. I got used to my lightly dressed salads and the thought of coating my salad in ranch no longer appeals to me.