What should I be doing?

Options
Ok I am new to this whole working out thing. Can you guys give me a suggestion as to what I should be doing and/or what has worked for you. I know that you are suppossed to move for at least 30 minutes a day and I try to do that, but obviously that cant be all there is to this whole working out thing. Thanks :smile:

Replies

• aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    You cant exercise????
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    walking :smile:
  • Angel1066
    Angel1066 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I walk for 30mins when i can which i love doing and i also try and fit in at least 15mins of a workout everyday. i have a wii and have bought some the exercise games like Zumba and Just Dance 2. I started out slowly but it's amazing how your body adapts to exercise and now i'm feeling fitter and stronger week by week. Just take it slow go at your own pace and do something you enjoy.
  • keynesian
    keynesian Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brisk walking and swimming are great ways to start exercising. Then jogging, cycling and if you want to start going to a gym, the trainers there will work you out a program.
  • Theresa3187
    Options
    I have been exercising...I meant are there any types of particular activities I should be doing.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    walking/running.

get some weights so you can weight train 3x a week. Definately helps with fat loss and helps improve your body composition.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and what is your present condition? Plenty of people don't "exercise" as such but are relatively fit. Others are complete couch potatoes and need to work their way up to some level of fitness.
  • Rubino469
    Rubino469 Posts: 12
    Options
    All the advice I have is whatever exercise you decide to do ...just push yourself...when you feel like oh gosh I can't do any more or any faster ...just do a little more or go a little faster. I say this because once you begin to exercise if you do the same things your body gets used to them and they are no longer as effective. So especially if you are tring to lose weight change up your exercises and push yourself a little bit.
  • rozzzz
    rozzzz Posts: 8
    Options
    you should start by getting your heart used to beating faster, so any activity that you're intrested in (tennis, swimming, even yoga) would be great ways to do that :) once you're comfortable, you can start training your muscles. then you can alternate the days with cardio/ weight training and look and feel amazing forever and ever :D
  • smithak2
    smithak2 Posts: 12
    Options
    Resistance training is going to burn the most calories. Since you are knew to this I would suggest starting out at low weight with moderate reps, probably 3 sets of 6 to 10 reps. Studies have proven you can burn twice as much fat doing a full body workout comparied to a body part workout alone. The important thing is remember your new at this and expect your body to be sore after you are done working out. A trainer will be able to better explain these principles since I'm in a hurry to go to class! Good luck!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I agree. When i first started exercising i hated the elliptical, but i just kept up with it. My goal was to stay on for 20 minutes. Know i pushed myself to do 2 miles. At times i didn't think i was going to make it. Today i can do 3 miles no big deal, must be time to go for 3.5 miles. Just take your time and have fun with it also. GOOD LUCK..
  • Theresa3187
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I try to walk on the treadmill at 3.2mph for at least 30 minutes a day. On top of that I try to do weights for 30 minutes and least 3 times a week. After I do the weights I try to do a minimum of 30 minutes cardio on the treadmill. I try for 3 minutes of 3.5mph then 30sec -1 minute of 5.0mph and just keep alternating until my 30 minutes is up.
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Ok I am new to this whole working out thing. Can you guys give me a suggestion as to what I should be doing and/or what has worked for you. I know that you are suppossed to move for at least 30 minutes a day and I try to do that, but obviously that cant be all there is to this whole working out thing. Thanks :smile:

Do whatever you want. Go for a walk, go for a run, cycle, swim, jog, skip, hop. Play football, basketball, gridiron, hockey, ice hockey, tennis, squash, racquetball, badminton, cricket, baseball... etc.