Tips/Motivation for Getting Up early to exercise?

Options
I would love to get up early before work and do one of my work outs but I have the hardest time getting up that early...does anyone have any strategies or tips that help them find the motivation to get up...once i'm up i am always wishing i had gotten up earlier to fit my work out in...its just a matter of getting up a bit earlier...

Any ideas:
What do you do to get up early and get motivated?

Thanks!!

Replies

• KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not answering your question, but I gave up on early morning workouts. I could make myself get up for a week or two, but I'd always go back to sleeping in eventually - NOT a morning person. A month ago, I stopped fighting it and just started doing the workouts after work when I get home. I'm really enjoying it and have no trouble sticking with it, finally! I know morning workouts give that nice kickstart to your metabolism, but if you just hate getting up... I'm feeling good and sleeping better. Everyone is different - just throwing that out there.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Mandam1018
    Mandam1018 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't have any tips but I get up at 4:30 five days a week to go exercise. I always said I would never be one of those people who get up early in the morning to exercise but I came to realize it was the only time I had to do a good, hard, workout so I just make myself get up and by the end of the workout, I am glad I did. On the days my snooze button wins out, I feel so bad the rest of the day for not getting up. Just make yourself do it and you will be fine. For me, I just had to WANT to change my life in order for me to get up and I did!
  • nmaluso
    nmaluso Posts: 1
    Options
    The only way I can do it is to meet a friend at the gym....by not letting her down it makes me get out of bed even when I don't want to...on days when I know she can't make it, I tell myself - go easy today just walk and listen to tunes...then once I get there I find myself doing a full workout anyway....
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have an extremely hard time getting up in the mornings, and like to sleep through it. The best reason I can give is that exercising makes me SO tired! After the fact I feel like I need a good long night sleep - but instead have to go straight to work. So I've instead started working out during my lunch breaks.

I know it might not be that helpful cause I don't get up in the morning ;d but I just wanted to give my two cents!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    The only way I can do it is to meet a friend at the gym....by not letting her down it makes me get out of bed even when I don't want to...on days when I know she can't make it, I tell myself - go easy today just walk and listen to tunes...then once I get there I find myself doing a full workout anyway....

I love this idea! I wish someone would get up at 7am to go to the gym with me haha
  • slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    Water!!! I am up at 5am six days a week to go to the gym. Most of the time, I have to use the bathroom soooo bad by that time, I can't help but get up!! I drink at least 12 glasses of water each day and up to 16. I am not one to get up in the middle of the night to go, so once 4:30-5:00 rolls around, I can't wait any longer. I have my workout clothes out the night before and grab them on the way to the bathroom. Get dressed and get right out the door. If I stop to do anything else, I will never make it to the gym. (never sit down!) At the beginning though, it was the fact that I hate working out in front of people and there is hardly anyone at the gym that time of morning. Believe it or not, just start doing it and it will get easier! Good luck!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I canNOT wake up early to go work out. But I'm interested in hearing replies!

When I worked full-time, I'd stop at the gym for a swim after work, but anything more strenuous just made me jacked up for hours and unable to sleep. Probably why I packed on nearly 30 pounds in 5 years, even walking 2+ miles a day.

Now that I'm not working full-time, I've got TONS of time to go to the gym... and I still find it hard to get there before 10 a.m.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I am an early morning exerciser. I never thought I could do it, but really, once you get into it, it's the best (at least for me)! How did I change my habit? I started by making it much easier for myself to get up and go in the morning. I placed my workout clothes by my bed, got everything I needed ready the night before, so I could sleep as late as possible. It also helped that the gym was really close to my house, so if I didn't want to shower there, I could just go back home. My alarm would go off and I would ask myself, "Fit or fat today?" I would also tell myself how much nicer it is to only have to take one shower a day, one make up application a day, and that in only an hour it would all be over, and the evening would be mine to do whatever I wanted. I had read that it takes 8 weeks to get used to it, and I just accepted it would be hard for awhile. I lost nearly 40 pounds. I did this for 10 years. Then had a baby, life changed, I tried working out when he was asleep, etc. Nothing worked, then I just decided I'm going back to mornings. I've been doing that for about a year. I've lost all baby weight, and am now aiming for my law school weight.
  • mindy14456
    mindy14456 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I find that I have the best workouts when I do them first thing in the morning. If I wait all day to workout it more often than not seemed to just not happen. So I started scheduling it my head just like work and everything else that just has to be done. I know I have to go to work at 8am, whether I want to or not. So now I set my alarm for 5am and just attack it like every other scheduled event. Now that I am in the habit that isn't as hard, but it did keep me pushing forward! I also have my alarm clock on the other side of the room, so to shut off that annoying noise I have to get out of bed!! :) Good luck to you!!
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the wonderul replies/advice!! I read that most of you like to work out when you get home from work but my problem is, like some of you said, that's i'm so hyped up I can't sleep. And I feel so bad all day when my snooze button wins. I have come to that point where I really want a change! Does anyone know of a app for Droid that you can record a message to wake up to? That would probably help me out a lot! Keep the replies coming!!
  • ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I don't love early mornings, but I get up and work out anyway. I find it helpful to have a mini-goal with a date that isn't negotiable. My mini-goal right now is being able to wear the dress I want to a wedding in May. I have to fit in the dress, I only have a few weeks to get it done. It's great motivation for getting out of bed in the morning. I even keep the dress hanging in my room where I can see it every morning and every night.
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    @lindalee Thanks so much for that advice!! I love your "fit or fat today?" that's such a wonderful thing to think about...i wish my alarm clock would tell me that !! Haha! I too place my workout clothes by the bed and have everything ready..i find that helps me more than anything else..i guess consistency is the key...maybe i'll get there soon! Thanks again!
  • 1aprilaries
    1aprilaries Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I rotate. I hate getting up in the mornings as is but add working out & ughhh!!! I like working out in the evenings after dinner- it helps me sleep better. At least twice a week I'll work out in the morning. Like today b/c i didn't exercise at all last night( was under calorie goal) i got up this morning & did about 45 mins. U have to do what's comfortable for you- if you hate getting up in the mornings as is I doubt having to workout once you get up is gonna help motivate you. Stay focused on your goal & good luck ! :smile:
  • kstel
    kstel Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I started going to the gym early morning 6:30am about 2 yrs ago. I pack my gym bag with my work clothes the night before and get my gym clothes ready so thats one less thing i have to do in the AM. whatever you do DON'T hit the snooze button... its very hard to get used too, but once you get into the swing of things and realize you are done your workout for day it makes it so much easier. So after work while other people are rushing to a crowded gym you can say... I'm done my workout for the day!
    good luck!
  • marigolds1
    Options
    Put your alarm clock across the room, so you have to get out of bed to turn it off! Then when you're up, you're up and it's easier to stay up.

That and having all the clothes ready to go mean I can usually be out the door before I can talk myself out of it. (Not always, but usually!)
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I find that I have the best workouts when I do them first thing in the morning. If I wait all day to workout it more often than not seemed to just not happen. So I started scheduling it my head just like work and everything else that just has to be done. I know I have to go to work at 8am, whether I want to or not. So now I set my alarm for 5am and just attack it like every other scheduled event. Now that I am in the habit that isn't as hard, but it did keep me pushing forward! I also have my alarm clock on the other side of the room, so to shut off that annoying noise I have to get out of bed!! :) Good luck to you!!
    I'm the same way and I also work harder in the morning. It makes my whole day better. Don't think about it, don't linger when the alarm goes off after a few weeks it will become routine you'll start getting up a few minutes before the alarm. Good luck!