hanging on to old clothes

Options
My dad has always gotten amusement when women hang on to old clothes like their "skinny jeans" for when they fit into them again. He doesn't understand having a lot of clothes anyway, much less a closet full that you cannot wear anymore and seemingly will never wear again.

Well I just feel the need to tell him today that twice this week I have worn shirts to work that are like brand new to me again because for years they have been too tight and didn't look good. Now they fit perfect and it's like I just went shopping, when really I haven't spent a dime recently.

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    My dad has always gotten amusement when women hang on to old clothes like their "skinny jeans" for when they fit into them again. He doesn't understand having a lot of clothes anyway, much less a closet full that you cannot wear anymore and seemingly will never wear again.

Well I just feel the need to tell him today that twice this week I have worn shirts to work that are like brand new to me again because for years they have been too tight and didn't look good. Now they fit perfect and it's like I just went shopping, when really I haven't spent a dime recently.
  • genabug
    genabug Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Oh I know you were super excited! I can't wait till I can wear my SKINNY JEANS!!!! Congrats!:drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is so cool!

I am actually having a problem letting go of the 'fat' clothes! I have 2 bags, have tried them all on, they are way too big, yet i cant give them away.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    I'm with AWTY. I can't get rid of my 18s & 16s, much less my 14s! I am currently borrowing 12s from my friend. I should go shopping soon...:tongue:

I gave up with my skinny clothes during my last pregnancy (with a few special exceptions). A moment of hormonal rage at about 8 months pregnant, I put them all in a bag & took them to Easter Seals. :bigsmile:
  • CristaAmy
    Options
    Give them away!! It is a tax deduction ... and there may be people out there that actually need them.

Plus, why hold onto bad memories???
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i gave away all my skinny clothes.. because it hurted to see them in the closet without being able to get into them.. and i moved long distances (countries) so many times and just couldnt leave too much stuff at my moms

but i regret it so bad !!!!!!!!!!! now i have to buy a WHOLE brand new wardrobe.. the only thing that still fits me is my socks..lol.. i bought 1 pair of jeans because i need SOMETHING to wear..

so by february.. i'll be in my final size,, that the time where i go back home as well.. so i told everybody not to buy me b-day/xmas gift and that ill go shopping for clothes.. i guess that there is worst thing then going out shopping WITH money to spend :smile:

i cant get rid of my old clothes either.. they are in a bag waiting.. dunno why i do that.. probably because its mostly new clothes and i'm waiting on a miracle (like them shrinking.. not my fattening again .lol)
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I had something cool like that happen to me this summer. I got a great deal on a Ralph Lauren shirt that was supposed to be XXL, but apparently his clothes run small, so it fit me tight (too tight to wear on vacation).

I put the shirt aside thinking I was going to return it, but I never did. A few weeks ago, after losing a bunch of weight, I found it. I tried it on, and now it's just right (a bit baggy, in fact!). So now I have a bonus work shirt- in fact, I'm wearing it right now!

I just went through and bagged up my fat clothes. I don't want them around. I did keep a pair of size 44 shorts, though- to remember.
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    im having the same problem
    all my old clothes are still in my closet
    they fall right off of me...and i KNOW i cant wear them
    but i cant get rid of them...
    i do not plan on gaining weight
    but i cant let the go
    i feel like im letting go of my self?
    or a big part of me?
    its weird.
  • sunshine_girl
    Options
    I kept a few items without knowing it. They were packed in a box, and when I decided i was finally going to lose weight I didn't check in the outside storage.
    I gave away everything else that did not fit me that day.
    When we bought a house i left the box in the closet until about a month ago, and I was very surprised to see some of these shirts!
    Today I am wearing a metallica shirt I have not been able to wear in 1.5 years. I barely wore it since it was tighter but I am loving it.

I still believe that it made a huge difference and I have been able to lose more than 10 pounds by donating everything that did not fit me that day. I demanded that I learn to like myself as is and I was only fooling myself to think I wouldn't buy new clothes as I lost weight.

mmmmm Shopping :)
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    I took all my bigger clothes to Goodwill, with the exception of a couple of shirts and a pair of jeans that I really liked, which I took to a tailor to have them altered so that they fit me.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Luckily I had kept some of my thinner cloths. They fit now. Yeah!!!!!!!!!! But I had gotten rid of the supper tiny ones I use to have, because I was so sickly skinny when I wore them. I have such mixed feelings about my "fat" clothes. I don't want to ever be that big again, but you never know what the future will bring. I have some really nice suits that are hard to give up.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I just looked and they are still there. Staring at me saying " WIll you need us in the future, will you fail?"

Question is....who out there needs size 12-14 petite!! Cuz they are going bye bye this weekend!
    :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options

I just went through and bagged up my fat clothes. I don't want them around. I did keep a pair of size 44 shorts, though- to remember.

I have my "biggest" jeans on the top shelf of my closet, too. That way, when I feel like I haven't done anything, I can pull them out & put them on. That always makes me feel better. :bigsmile:
  • arewethereyet
    Options

I have my "biggest" jeans on the top shelf of my closet, too. That way, when I feel like I haven't done anything, I can pull them out & put them on. That always makes me feel better. :bigsmile:

Good idea Beans. I am going to select the largest pair and save them!
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I had something cool like that happen to me this summer. I got a great deal on a Ralph Lauren shirt that was supposed to be XXL, but apparently his clothes run small, so it fit me tight (too tight to wear on vacation).

I put the shirt aside thinking I was going to return it, but I never did. A few weeks ago, after losing a bunch of weight, I found it. I tried it on, and now it's just right (a bit baggy, in fact!). So now I have a bonus work shirt- in fact, I'm wearing it right now!

Good for you PS!!!
  • psantacruz
    psantacruz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kudos-

That actually reminds me of a 'kinda' funny story. I bagged up my 44-42s to give away to Goodwill. Then I remembered a co-worker who told me her husband was on the heavy side, so I thought I'd give her first crack at them.

I called her up and said, "I have some clothes that don't fit me anymore. You want them for your husband?"

"What size?"

"44-42" I answered, not wanting to offend her in case he wasn't that big.

Silence.

Then, "Thanks, but no thanks. He wears size 52."
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!