Fresh fruit carbs/sugar

Options
Let me start by saying I LOVE FRESH FRUIT! Apples and bananas especially. And oranges, and grapes, and strawberries, and watermelon.... But WHY does it have to contain so many CARBS??? I have my macros set to 40/40/20, which doesn't allow me many carbs. 120 per day! So.... should I quit eating the fruit or just pretend to ignore the fact that a lot of my carb intake comes from the fresh fruit....? I think it SUCKS! Not to mention the sugar. I don't keep track of my sugar intake, but when I peek at it, its through the roof usually also!

Someone help!

Replies

• KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this because i was wondering the same thing this morning
  • AmyKessler
    Options
    I have the same problem with my sugars when I eat fruit or sometimes milk. I just ignore the sugar intake now because I know milk and fruit are healthy sources and stuff that I should be eating.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    May want to eat fruits with less sugar and see if that helps.
  • raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    May want to eat fruits with less sugar and see if that helps.

Which fruits?? I'd love to try that out!
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    They definitely are healthy and it sucks to have to limit something healthy and natural but you do have to keep them in moderation because of the sugars. I try to limit myself to 2 servings of fruit a day. Apples and grapes also have lower glycemic indexes as opposed to bananas & pineapple which are higher in sugar/carbs. I think melons are lower in sugars as well. Also, when you eat fruit you are supposed to eat it on its own and not within a half hour of other food bc fruit digests faster then other foods and if you eat it with grains or proteins it will stay stuck in your system longer (weird little piece of info).
  • Rtrue18
    Rtrue18 Posts: 45
    Options
    Just found this...its a list of high, medium & low Glycemic index fruits (meaning lower sugar basically)...

Low GI

Cherries 22
    Plums 24
    Grapefruit 25
    Peaches 28
    Peach, canned in natural juice 30
    Apples 34
    Pears 41
    Dried Apricots 32
    Grapes 43
    Coconut 45
    Coconut Milk 41
    Kiwi Fruit 47
    Oranges 40
    Strawberries 40
    Prunes 29

Medium GI

Mango 60
    Sultanas 56
    Bananas 58
    Raisins 64
    Papaya 60
    Figs 61
    Pineapple 66

High GI

Watermelon 80
    Dates 103
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    Options
    I lot of people on this site have chosen to ignore sugar from fruit. However, fructose is fructose and while fruit is a better source it is still sugar.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/whattoeat/a/whatfruit.htm
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    One has to check the glycemic index of sugars. Sugars which have low glycemic index increase the blood sugar levels very slowly. So they are NOT that bad. One can have as 2-3 servings of fruit a day. Have some green vegetables too to balance it out with fibre. I would avoid grapes though.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Sugars which have high Glycemic Index cause the blood sugars to rise quickly and cause release of insulin which causes the body to stores most of it. So choose wisely.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm going to miss watermelon.... :(
  • raelynnjordan
    raelynnjordan Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What about all the carbs though??