Circuit training at home?

Options
I usually workout in my basement. I lift, use a few various cardio workouts, and use my elliptical. This works out really well for me because a) I don't really have money to join a gym and b) my son hangs out with me, playing on the computer or joining me in my workouts (he's 5 and does his own little variation of whatever I'm doing--his pushups are especially cute!).

However, last weekend while I was home at my parents' for the holiday a good friend of mine who happens to be a personal trainer invited me to join her circuit training class. It was AWESOME. Like, kick my butt, sore for days (in a good way) kinda awesome. Like, I wish I had enough money to do this every week kinda awesome.

Unfortunately, there just isn't money in my budget for gym memberships or class fees. I really have to stick to what I have at home, and things that I can purchase once and use for a long time. Do any of you do your own version of circuit training at home? If so, how do you do it? Do you use some kind of DVD, or just make something up that works for you? Are you able to push yourself the same way that a trainer would push you if you were in a class?

Thanks in advance for any advice :D

Replies

• j3nic3
    j3nic3 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I also don't have the time or the money to go to the gym, for now at least. I'm currently doing p90x, but I started with Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred DVD which IS a circuit training you are supposed to do everyday for 30 days. Maybe you can try that? It's 20-25 mins a day and all you need are a pair of dumbells
  • Skolls081102
    Options
    I am doing Insanity- it's cardio circuit training, with some strength exercises (using your own body weight). It is a 9 week program, and I am currently on week 5. It's awesome!!! I have also done Zumba (I know, I know....lol) and Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. I bore easily, so the first two lost there appeal after 2 weeks. ALthough I would definitley use them again, just not daily.
  • FunSizedK
    FunSizedK Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 day shred
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I'm a stay at home mom and I don't go to the gym either, but the 30Day Shred is a good circuit training video. The Celebrity Shred video(by Holly Perkins) is an intense circuit training workout on exercisetv that can be found on the internet as well as on demand(comcast). When I'm doing neither of these, I usually start out on stationary bike(you could use your machine), then switch to jogging in place or some calisthenics for cardio for a certain amount of time, and then do some strength training, and start the cycle over again until I've done about 30-45 minutes. Works up a good sweat!:smile:
  • LisaMynatt
    Options
    I recommend Jillian's 30 day shred and her "No More Trouble Zones" dvd - it is also circuit training.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts...definitely recommend 30 Day Shred. I also like her other DVD's: Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism, No More Trouble Zones, and 6 Week 6 Pack.
  • swnash
    swnash Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also work out in my basement, otherwise my jumping-jacks have the whole house shaking! I just started the 30 day shred and it seems really good. It is probably not quite the same as having a trainer but I do find that she keeps pushing me. The other nice thing is that I watch it on my laptop and was able to purchase a streaming version of the 1st level of exercises from amazon for around $2. Not much of an investment, and if I am able to stick with it/when I am ready to move up, it is just another $2 to buy the next level.

Good luck!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Check out www.bodyrock.tv! Her routines will majorly kick your *kitten*. They are super intense, and all free! She uploads new workouts almost every day, and there are loads of old ones you can go through. In some of them she uses a sandbag or dip station, but not in every one.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    You should follow my workouts; They are vey similar. You do not need a gym. Here are a couple I posted: (ps I copied and pasted from my forums so those are my numbers you can do more or less)

Workout 1
    Circuit 30 seconds (exercise) 10 second rest
    1. Squat pick up 10 lb weight and squat back down to put it back (that is 1 rep) - 9, 6, 6
    2. Jump Rope - 76, 60, 60
    3. Dynamic Push ups - 10, 8, 8
    4. Jump Rope - 70, 60, 50
    5. Walking Lunges; 007 twists - 9, 7, 8
    6. Jump Rope - 71, 60, 57
    7. Tricep Dips - 15, 15, 15
    8. Jump Rope - 70, 60, 50
    9. One legged dead lift - 13, 12, 12
    10. Jump Rope - 70, 60, 80

Workout 2
    Circuit
    40 Rounds, 15 seconds exercise, 15 seconds rest

1. Skater Lunge Jumps - 10, 10, 9, 10
    2. Reptile Push ups - 5 1/2, 5, 3, 2
    3. Jump Squats - 12, 9, 9, 10
    4. Pulls ups (lying down on floor under poll so rev push up I guess) - 7, 6, 6, 7
    5. Jumping Jacks - 14, 16, 16, 12
    6. Dancing Crab - 13, 11, 8, 11
    7. Handing lrg raise (from pull up bar) - 7, 5, 5, 7
    8. Dive Bombers - 4, 5, 3, 4
    9. Plank knee tucks - 15, 15, 15, 18
    10. Gets ups - 5, Stopped b/c I didnt like the way my knees felt the second time around so I jogged in place

Workout 3
    Circuit: No timing
    1. one legged dead lift; jump (right and left leg) - 10 x 3
    2. Plank alternating sholder touch - 20 x 3
    3. Jump Rope - 60 skips
    4. Pick up ball/weight squat; lateral raise squat put ball back on floor (thats 1) - 12 x 3
    5. Side kick hold (not kicking just holding the leg to the side in a kick form for easie kick boxing) - 8 seconds, 10 x 2
    6. Assisted hand stand (walk your self up a wall and hold) 10 seconds x 3
    7. Jump rope - 60 Skips
    8. Dancer pose bicep curls - 12 x 3
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Check out www.bodyrock.tv! Her routines will majorly kick your *kitten*. They are super intense, and all free! She uploads new workouts almost every day, and there are loads of old ones you can go through. In some of them she uses a sandbag or dip station, but not in every one.

I get a lot of ideas from her!! I love her workouts!!! If I feel uncomfortable with an exercise I replace or change it up. For example: Her one legged squats and ninja jumps I take out of my workouts and add something else.
  • greenhumanclay
    greenhumanclay Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blantonjm1
    blantonjm1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump