I not losing anything

Options
Alright for 2 weeks now I have been biking to work and back, about 30 to minutes of riding. I only eat 1100 cals a day and I have only lost half an inch off my waist. I still weigh the same amount when I started. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how do you start losing weight?

Replies

• Nyvala
    Nyvala Posts: 4
    Options
    Alright for 2 weeks now I have been biking to work and back, about 30 to minutes of riding. I only eat 1100 cals a day and I have only lost half an inch off my waist. I still weigh the same amount when I started. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how do you start losing weight?
  • jsweets4
    Options
    Yes, and I ate cucumbers, lettuce, and rice cakes. YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH!!!!!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,697 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more... at the very least 1200 calories. I stopped losing when I was eating 1200 calories, so I upped it to 1400 and I lost four pounds this week. Your body may be in starvation mode. Up your calories a couple hundred and see if that helps!
  • bob9304
    bob9304 Posts: 87
    Options
    I found two site with very interesting info on "Starvation mode" links below:
    http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/28742.html
    http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/28515.htm
    I was worried about this myself at first since my Dr. put me on 1000 cal per day, (net) and I burn like 3500 per day at rest. I had heard all the things about would lower your metabolism, ruin future dieting etc. But found that was not the whole truth, it depends on your % of body fat, your weight and several other things. Thing is, not always bad but should have expert guidence.
  • Nyvala
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I am not in 'starvation mode'. I am only cutting my caloric intake by 200 calories. I eat 3 really balanced meals a day. Lots of vegies, rice, whole grains and protein.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. I am not in 'starvation mode'. I am only cutting my caloric intake by 200 calories. Thanks again.

No, you're actually cutting it by much more than that. If you're biking 30 minutes a day and moving around at all, you're burning more than your BMR. Are you logging in all of your walking and biking in the exercise portion? That will increase the number of calories you need to eat. Don't forget that the website builds in a 500 calorie deficit...so if you are eating 200 calories less than what it's telling you to eat, you're actually eating 700 less than what you need.
  • Nyvala
    Options
    I am logging my exercise and based on the total calories given to me each day I am only eating around 200 less than the aloud amount. I would be in "starvation mode" if I was eating less than 650 calories per day.
  • JulieB21
    JulieB21 Posts: 492
    Options
    I would be in "starvation mode" if I was eating less than 650 calories per day.

Not true-your body needs at LEAST 1200 calories a day just to stay healthy.

http://www.calorie-count.com/forums/post/28742.html
    http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/28515.htm
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am logging my exercise and based on the total calories given to me each day I am only eating around 200 less than the aloud amount. I would be in "starvation mode" if I was eating less than 650 calories per day.

You really don't need a 700 calorie deficit.
    As far as starvation mode...that's sort of a blanket term. It really just refers to a drastic slowing of the metabolism, and it actually happens a little bit to anyone who diets and loses muscle mass, and more to people who drastically undereat. There's not set number of calories, but eating below your BMR (which you are doing at 1100calories) is a VERY easy way to lose muscle mass. Like I said, they build in the deficit, so if you go by their recommendations you'll be right on track.