any idea if its possible makinf skim milk at home
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Short answer--Nope. Unless you own a dairy
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    What do you mean make it at home. You can't make milk. Well you can, but you probably don't want do drink it.

Do you have a cow that you are milking and you want to get all the fat out of the milk? Or are you talking about buying whole milk and reducing the fat from it?

I think the milk companies actually spin the milk and the fat separates out of it. If you have fresh, from the cow, milk. the best you could probably do is let it set and skim the fat off the top. If it is from the jug, just buy skim milk next time.
  • Crystal_Cherry
    Options
    What do you mean make it at home. You can't make milk. Well you can, but you probably don't want do drink it.

Do you have a cow that you are milking and you want to get all the fat out of the milk? Or are you talking about buying whole milk and reducing the fat from it?

I think the milk companies actually spin the milk and the fat separates out of it. If you have fresh, from the cow, milk. the best you could probably do is let it set and skim the fat off the top. If it is from the jug, just buy skim milk next time.

:laugh: :laugh: wellll helooooooooooooooo i dont make milk at home :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lolzzzzzzzzzz... anyways... i buy whole milk.. im from pakistan.. here we buy whole milk from market.. carton milk is little more costly than this ... then we boil it,... there comes a layer of fat on top and we remove it and then drink... i didnt know is that much skimming is enough

my packet said before boil milk is 3.5% fat and 9% snf... what ever that means :huh:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ah, after I posted, I checked your profile and thought you might be in Pakistan.

I have no idea what you could figure fat content of milk is after "boiling and skimming"--although it sounds like it would decrease fat content.
  • apt84
    apt84 Posts: 24
    Options
    Hi.. i used to follow a diet where i was told skimmed milk but honestly we bought whole milk.... and i can give u alt solution.. buy cows milk or else mix lots of water (apart from wat our desi doodh wala's do) .. good luck 'cheers
  • Crystal_Cherry
    Options
    Ah, after I posted, I checked your profile and thought you might be in Pakistan.

I have no idea what you could figure fat content of milk is after "boiling and skimming"--although it sounds like it would decrease fat content.

soo what do u say if i boil it two to three times and remove the fat layer from cold milk

wont that be good :smile:
  • shorerider
    Options

soo what do u say if i boil it two to three times and remove the fat layer from cold milk

wont that be good :smile:

Honestly, I don't know. Have you tried Googling for something and seeing if someone else has tried it and has some answers? Here, I just go to the store and buy Skim Milk. I'm sure the process for making it is very similar (if not the same) that you are doing but not sure. However, figuring out the nutritional information will be hard.

Here's one site I find just by Googling

http://www.ammas.com/ar/home.cfm?r=va&bid=0&topicid=5&tid=142563

Oh, and let me add-I have to take back my words because apparently you CAN make skim milk at home. Why you would want to if it's easily available in the store, I don't know, but yes, it seems you can do it.
  • aishabinttila247
    aishabinttila247 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    you can boil the milk let it sit in fridge n remove the layer of cream.. do it twice or thrice..