No Sugar (or Low Sugar) Diet

Options
After reading a book recently (listed on my last discussion post), I've decided to try a no sugar diet. I was going to try to just lower my sugar intake, but the authors (doctors) of the book say it's best to go cold turkey because having even a little sugar will only increase your cravings for it. I want to know if anyone else is currently on a no sugar diet and if so, what kinds of things do you eat? The book has a grocery list in the back of it which will help me buy some of the necessary items, but I'd like some meal ideas. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Replies

• Dawn111567
    Options
    Pretty much any protein with a vegetable or side salad will give you a "no sugar" diet. For your salads you can use vinegar and oil as a dressing. It really is quite simple to do it just requires a little planning.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any protein with a vegetable or side salad will give you a "no sugar" diet. For your salads you can use vinegar and oil as a dressing. It really is quite simple to do it just requires a little planning.

I agree!!! I lowered my sugar because diabetes runs in my family and I was headed the same way. I keep my sugar under 30 normally (I'm pregnant right now and have to have a little more). If I want to lean out, I drop it under 20. 90% of that comes from fresh fruits and veggies. It really is a simple diet and very easy to do. Just read your labels and you'll do fine!!!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Whole 30 challenge (almost, done, yay!). It's made me realize my biggest demon is sugar. I have a serious fruit & chocolate problem

http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/
  • meghan171
    meghan171 Posts: 80
    Options
    I'm doing the Whole 30 challenge (almost, done, yay!). It's made me realize my biggest demon is sugar. I have a serious fruit & chocolate problem

http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/

Thanks for that website! I think I might try this! Alcohol is my biggest problem though. We go out usually 2 nights a week with friends and alcohol is always involved. I'm hoping I have the strength to completely cut it out for 30 days.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    After reading a book recently (listed on my last discussion post), I've decided to try a no sugar diet. I was going to try to just lower my sugar intake, but the authors (doctors) of the book say it's best to go cold turkey because having even a little sugar will only increase your cravings for it. I want to know if anyone else is currently on a no sugar diet and if so, what kinds of things do you eat? The book has a grocery list in the back of it which will help me buy some of the necessary items, but I'd like some meal ideas. Any help would be appreciated! :)

Try this site too, marksdailyapple.com lots of no sugar advice there. Really if you make your own food it isn't that hard, it's when you eat out, or buy prepaired foods that avoiding sugar becomes hard.
  • kirstinkrueger
    Options
    New Age Brownies: More delicate than Anytime Brownies, and a very different kind of recipe. Still no bad fat, egg yolks -- or sugar in the form of mashed bananas, dates, honey, molasses & its other disguises. (You get plenty of sugar from the healthy grains, fruits, & veggies you eat. Metabolism's bottom line: EVERYTHING breaks down to one of three things: protein, fat, or sugar.)

1/2 cup Quick cook oatmeal
    3/4 cup Oat flour
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa
    1 cup Splenda
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    1 tbsp Ener-G egg replacer & 6 tbsp warm water
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup liquid egg whites
    *3/4 cup shredded fat free mozzarella cheese.
    5 tbsp canola oil

Preheat oven to 350. Spray baking dish with cooking spray.
    Mix 6 dry ingredients in medium bowl; set aside.
    Separately fork-froth the Ener-G & water, then add vanilla.
    Combine egg whites, cheese, & canola in skillet over low-medium heat, stirring as the cheese melts, adding the Ener-G mixture & vanilla. If eggs start to cook, remove from heat for a bit, stir more.
    Now add dry ingredients to mixture in pan, stir, pour into baking dish.
    Bake for 15 minutes. Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting.

Makes 16 snack-sized brownies, 97 calories each, or 12 huge brownies, 130 calories each. In each 12-size brownie: 5 g protein, 2 g dietary carbs.

* The cheese is what binds, like sugar & egg yolks.

No Sugar No Fat Chocolate Cookies. Delicious AND Healthy!

Cooking spray
    1 cup quick oats
    *1?4 c whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup Splenda
    *1/4 cup chopped walnuts
    *1/2 cup dried cranberries
    1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    2 TBSP canola
    3 TBSP water
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chocolate sauce
    (Mix 4 tablespoons *unsweetened, non-alkalinized cocoa with 4 tablespoons of Splenda, stir, add water till reaches 1/2 cup)

Preheat your oven to 400º. Spray cookie pans with cooking spray.
    In a bowl combine the oats, flour, Splenda, walnuts, cranberries, baking powder & baking soda.
    With a fork, “froth up” the oil and water.
    Add the chocolate sauce & vanilla extract to the oil & water mixture, & combine with the dry ingredients.
    Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto pans, flatten slightly with fingers, & bake for 10 minutes. Cool 2-3 minutes, then move to cookie racks.

Yield: 10 cookies, 114 calories each
  • michaeljshaw
    Options
    Meghan- if you can go cold turkey, go for it, as I agree with the concept that a little bit of sugar, even if in different forms than refined sugar, will make you keep wanting it. The question is: will you be able to give it up for an ongoing period in your life with rare indulgences every few months, or will it be more of a zig-zag, because switching can be tricky. Best of luck either way--

Kristin- I've just seen that brownie recipe on another forum- apparently it's popular!
    my question would be whether the Splenda can be substituted, as its not the healthiest of sweeteners/sugar substitutes for some people...
    Michael

<a href="http://www.noflournosugardiet.org/protein-bars-review/">no flour, no sugar diet</a>
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I hope this "diet" doesn't demand you give up fruit as well.