Hi

Options
cowboy48
cowboy48 Posts: 46 Member
I am getting close to my goal but wanted to join this forum as I am looking at going into maintenance right away. I think it is going to be more difficult than dieting to be honest.

Replies

• hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Agreed.... maintenence is super scary for me. I have been to my goal weight and couldn't maintain. I am hoping MFP makes the difference when I get there this time. Best of luck to you I know you will do great. MFP is the best support site!
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to your goal! Wonderful!
  • cowboy48
    Options
    Thank you. And I thought I was intimidated by the thought of losing 140 pounds-lol. Maintenance scares me more, I think, Thanks for your post
  • cowboy48
    Options
    Congratulations on getting to your goal! Wonderful!

Thank you!!
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a great weight loss--congratulations! A few years ago, I came within 5 pounds of my goal, but freaked out (I think because being overweight had became part of my identity and it was confusing and scary to accept that I wasn't "the fat one" anymore....or something), so I gained about 10 pounds and have (relatively happily and surprisingly easily) maintained that weight for about 2.5 years, til now. Like you, though, I worry about maintenance when I'm at my ACTUAL goal. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like!
    -LP
  • cowboy48
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a great weight loss--congratulations! A few years ago, I came within 5 pounds of my goal, but freaked out (I think because being overweight had became part of my identity and it was confusing and scary to accept that I wasn't "the fat one" anymore....or something), so I gained about 10 pounds and have (relatively happily and surprisingly easily) maintained that weight for about 2.5 years, til now. Like you, though, I worry about maintenance when I'm at my ACTUAL goal. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend, if you'd like!
    -LP

Thanks, I am more scared of maintence than dieting for sure. The thought of having to eat more worries me. I have to get my head around it again. Eating at maintenance is going to take a while for me as I don't want to do it too fast as I don't want to gain any weight. It is weird before I never thought about calories - obviously as that is how I got fat to begin with-lol but now that is all I think about. It is going to take me a while to get used to maintenance for sure. I am also not the 'fat one' anymore and you are right, it is kind of daunting . I have been fat my whole life - like from that age of 5 until now. It is a long time and I don't know how to act anymore- if that makes sense? Nice job on maintaining your weight for that long. Did you or are you still counting calories for the whole time?
  • lil_pulp
    Options
    (This is a response to Cowboy's response.)

I think I maybe do know what you mean about not really knowing how to act. I still kind of assume that people see me as fat and in stores, I tend to be drawn to the plus-size racks, even though that's not where the cute stuff generally is. (Though I think this is because I can't help but still worry that the "regular" size clothes will all be too small--safer to try on large sizes and ask for smaller than the opposite, I guess.)

As for counting calories, this is my first experience. I lost the weight before through a combination of Weight Watchers and working out, so I counted "points" but never focused on calories. I've never wanted to, in fact, because I know that, even while following the Weight Watchers plan, I still eat considerably more calories than I "need." I kind of hate feeling so restricted, but I basically just abuse the freedom of WW and need to try something different.

I'm curious how you lost your weight (if you want to share) and how counting calories feels to you.

-LP
  • cowboy48
    Options
    (This is a response to Cowboy's response.)

I think I maybe do know what you mean about not really knowing how to act. I still kind of assume that people see me as fat and in stores, I tend to be drawn to the plus-size racks, even though that's not where the cute stuff generally is. (Though I think this is because I can't help but still worry that the "regular" size clothes will all be too small--safer to try on large sizes and ask for smaller than the opposite, I guess.)

As for counting calories, this is my first experience. I lost the weight before through a combination of Weight Watchers and working out, so I counted "points" but never focused on calories. I've never wanted to, in fact, because I know that, even while following the Weight Watchers plan, I still eat considerably more calories than I "need." I kind of hate feeling so restricted, but I basically just abuse the freedom of WW and need to try something different.

I'm curious how you lost your weight (if you want to share) and how counting calories feels to you.

-LP

Hi,

I think the problem is how I see myself. I still see myself as fat- even though I am not anymore. I still browse the xl an xxl sizes when I am in fact a small now- who would have thought-lol? I actually lost 100 pounds on the old WW points system. Dieting only - no exercise at all. I then gained about 35 back. Then this last time, I just watched what I ate - no set diet per se as I have been dieting my whole life just about so I know what foods I can eat and can't eat-lol. So this last time I watched what I ate and I started running. Running has changed my whole body structure and helped to tighten up some areas. In fact I am starting 1/2 marathon training tonight. I never thought I would be a runner but here I am. Counting calories is okay- it has gotten to the point now where I can estimate calories pretty good - I know it isn't exact sometimes high and sometimes low but it evens out in the end. I am just worried about eating at maintenance as I don't know how to do that yet-lol. I tried eating at maintenance this past Easter weekend- made me feel too full. I guess I have to up the calories slowly until I hit maintenace limit. It is going to seem weird to eat that much though.
  • lil_pulp
    Options
    It definitely sounds like you're on the right track (not that I really know....).

Your story reminds me of my husband's--he lost 125 pounds on WW w/o exercise but has since gained a bit back (I don't know how much--maybe 15 pounds) and is frustrated that he's having trouble losing now. I am hoping, of course, that his resistance to exercise will decrease because I'm sure that would help with weight loss, as well as overall health (obviously!).

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the training!

-LP
  • cowboy48
    Options
    It definitely sounds like you're on the right track (not that I really know....).

Your story reminds me of my husband's--he lost 125 pounds on WW w/o exercise but has since gained a bit back (I don't know how much--maybe 15 pounds) and is frustrated that he's having trouble losing now. I am hoping, of course, that his resistance to exercise will decrease because I'm sure that would help with weight loss, as well as overall health (obviously!).

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the training!

-LP

Thanks! Tell him exercise does in fact work. Adding it made all the difference in how my body looks today. It isn't perfect but it is a lot better than the last time I lost without the exercise. I have always had love handles from the time I was like 6 - they are just about gone - GONE-lol. I still can't believe it- the running did it for me. It will help him too!!
  • blooeyes79
    blooeyes79 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    WTG! that is awesome I can't wait to say that :D
  • cowboy48
    Options
    WTG! that is awesome I can't wait to say that :D

You will get there. It is all about persistence, eating properly, and exercise. Good Luck!!!